Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭screamer

I would but I’d do something that I loved and not for money. I think I’d get bored easily being honest with nothing to do all day. Money’s only money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I’m in the position now where I no longer need to work to provide for me and my family due to family inheritance. I changed careers last year and doing course. So that I will be qualified to do something I’m interested in and can work by myself or establish my own business. That will be the plan next year. I don’t plan to work 5 days a week but I do plan to put energies into my own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Before I would have said "Ah yeah, something to do" and all that. Now? F*ck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

I’m in the position now where I no longer need to work to provide for me and my family due to family inheritance. I changed careers last year and doing course. So that I will be qualified to do something I’m interested in and can work by myself or establish my own business. That will be the plan next year. I don’t plan to work 5 days a week but I do plan to put energies into my own business.

Living the dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Not a good plan.

I’d keep working for at least a few months as normal so as not to arouse any suspicion about winning the lotto etc.

After enough time had elapsed I’d then indicate I was moving on and hand in my notice.

I’d then go full time farming, buy a heap more land and the best of machinery.

How to make a small fortune farming. Start with a large one lol.

Wouldn't change a huge amount if I won the lotto here, invest it across properties, businesses and stock market, and aim to double it if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Timmaay wrote: »
    How to make a small fortune farming. Start with a large one lol...

I'll tell you this much, you'd want a good job these days to keep a farm of land going! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Timmaay wrote: »
    How to make a small fortune farming. Start with a large one lol.

Wouldn't change a huge amount if I won the lotto here, invest it across properties, businesses and stock market, and aim to double it if possible.

And that's how many millionaires lost their money. Too Greedy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd be concerned about the number of begging letters.

But I'd still keep sending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

No way Jose.

Far too many places to see, music to hear, books to read. I'd probably start a doggie rescue and take in loads of dogs 😊 maybe a few horses too

Yep have plenty of interests out side of work, but probably do some work on select hacking tool projects, and a couple of vulnerability tests contracts out of interest.

Do more woodworking, and custom hand made furniture projects.

Do more with the local men's shed and local animal rescue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I would immediately **** on the bosses desk and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I’d be handing in my notice the day after I got the cheque into my paws . I’d then be very busy with house projects, family & travel. After a year or so I’d figure what work I want to do, on my terms, that I enjoy.

I'm self employed. I'd 'manage' my work out to others in my area of work, but I'd still keep a small bit of work for myself. Keep me ticking over and keep the brain functioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

I wouldn't work per se, but I would have lots of different projects on the go that would require plenty of my time and energy... oh wait that's what I already do! :D

One thing I definitely would not be doing, is "travelling"... every boring old fart rolls out the same tired old cliche: "If I win the lotto, I'll quit my job and go travelling"... zzzzZZZZzzzzz BORING!

Seriously, these people really need to grow an imagination! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mousblaster17

I would do voluntary work. It's been shown that not only is it altruistic, but I saw the results of a study on a netflix documentary that showed that when compared to older people who exercised more, older people who did voluntary work lived longer. It's supposed to be good for the mind and soul!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

I wouldn't work per se, but I would have lots of different projects on the go that would require plenty of my time and energy... oh wait that's what I already do! :D

One thing I definitely would not be doing, is "travelling"... every boring old fart rolls out the same tired old cliche: "If I win the lotto, I'll quit my job and go travelling"... zzzzZZZZzzzzz BORING!

These people, like lots of us, are constrained by money and work and know there’s a big world out there that they’re not seeing. Sounds imaginative enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

I wouldn’t change much to what I do now.

What I would do, is start a seed fund for young people to start businesses. They would get funding based on the premise that they pay back the funding to others in future and set aside a small proportion of any future profit into a “help” fund for others.

I would also set aside a small amount for projects that would help others in various areas I have worked in in Asia and Africa.

I love what I do so changes to my own life would be minimal.

The old saying is true, if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Id give up my current job and work part-time in a voluntary/charity role.
    I think the human interaction I get at work, such as it is, would be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Not a good plan.

I’d keep working for at least a few months as normal so as not to arouse any suspicion about winning the lotto etc.

After enough time had elapsed I’d then indicate I was moving on and hand in my notice.

You don't owe anyone anything. That includes caring what co-workers think or even giving them an explanation.

You could win the euromillions then no show on the Monday. They can call all they want. Doesn't matter. Set up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

No.

• Advertisement

I'd be the first one on a plane to the deepest, darkest corners of Asia, Africa, etc. and complain non-stop that they don't have McBurgers and where's the Ice Cream shop, and these blisters on my feet are killing me and I'd never go back.

But I'd still be sure to tell everyone how insightful it was and how they're missing out.

I'd continue working, but then, I really love lecturing at University. It's fun, and I can do it in foreign countries. I'm far more interested in living in foreign countries than simply travelling around. I already get long holidays as it is..

So, nope. I'd continue working. (although I'd stop for a few years to get my PHD, because I can't afford it now)

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I'd continue working, but then, I really love lecturing at University. It's fun, and I can do it in foreign countries. I'm far more interested in living in foreign countries than simply travelling around. I already get long holidays as it is..

So, nope. I'd continue working. (although I'd stop for a few years to get my PHD, because I can't afford it now)

I would have thought it would be a prerequisite to have at least one Ph.D degree when lecturing especially for academic courses at a proper university ( not a technical "university")

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

If I won the lotto I would buy a portfolio of properties and shares and spend all the income until I reached a certain age when I would liquidate and spend both capital and income. I would keep a very close eye on everything and watch out for hangers on. I would most certainly donate a percentage to charity. Nobody would be told I won the lotto. Let them guess it for themselves. I would not like to win massive money as then I fear my life would be at risk from being held hostage and security would become a concern.

One thing I'm confident about is that I could handle money as I come from money.

I wouldn't assume it would bring me happiness though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Definitely wouldn't work but would have to do something to keep the brain ticking over.

For various reasons missed a lot of work this year and my brain did go a bit to mush with having nothing much to challenge/tax the brain.

Definitely wouldn't commit to something that involved ever setting an alarm again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Clazbeag

I would love to go working in a charity shop. I did years ago and hands down it was brilliant- one of the most enjoyable things (had to give it up due to 70 hour weeks for a while and haven't gone back!!).
    It was brilliant going through all the random stuff people donated- the good, the bad, the weird and the REALLY WEIRD!!! Loads of characters coming in and out all day for a chat. It was work but it wasn't. I think if I won a massive amount and didn't have something constructive to do with my day I would end up piling on the stones, drinking a massive amount and buying lots of crap from everywhere!!!
    I would love to win just enough to have that freedom but so much that I would be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life in case people found out.
    All of this is absolutely notional as I haven't done the Lotto in years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You would get a better return out of hookers and cocaine

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I'd give up work and I still wouldn;t have enough hours in the day for my interests.

In the meantime if I only had an interest that could make me money I'd be laughing...

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I would have thought it would be a prerequisite to have at least one Ph.D degree when lecturing especially for academic courses at a proper university ( not a technical "university")

Depends on the courses. For business related courses, experience tends to be more important than a PHD. So I have a MBA and experience as a manager in consultancy companies internationally. So that combination is worth more in teaching business management. TBH both abroad and in Ireland, I've met few lecturers in business related subjects that bothered getting a PHD, although there are some. Really depends on the discipline.

However, I'd like to make a break, moving into lecturing ethics and morality. Been doing it as part of business courses for years now, but it interests me as a standalone topic to lecture, but I need a PHD for it.

Oh, and I do lecture at a "proper" university. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Horses. I'd buy a few racehorses. Feck all interest in them earning their keep. The odd winner here and there would keep me happy but it would keep the mind occupied. Beyond that I'd do bollix all but chill.

Advertisement