Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Just think what you could do with 40 hours a week for yourself...

Get a call on Sunday night, mate has a tee time for one of your favorite courses on Thursday, the K club, but you are working, rest of the week booked up.. why would you enjoy sacrificing your time, energy, efforts to miss the good things in life and instead ‘work’... when you have all the money in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,671 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Depends on the win, but assuming I didn't have to work, I wouldn't.

Ireland is a small country though and very parochial so you'd need to manage it properly if you weren't leaving altogether which for family reasons I probably wouldn't be.

Me, I have it all worked out as to how I'd quit. Posted it in a previous one of these threads, but sure why not :) Let's assume it's a €100 mil plus Euromillions win

- Call Lotto HQ to claim it on Monday AM. Do nothing then for a few weeks till the attention dies off. Book some AL for say a fortnight from tomorrow
    - Claim it and deposit. Book into a nice hotel. For the next 2 weeks get expert advice and think about what you want to do with it
    - Return to work and after a few days in your notice saying you got a job elsewhere
    - Work out your notice. You will never hear from 99.9% of the people you work with anyway but better to just go without fanfare
    - As it's unlikely you'll still be living where you are now, you won't need to worry about neighbours wondering where the cash for the shiny new cars etc came from
    - For those you want to share it with but not let on the full extent of your win, say that you won the next big-ish draw (4/5 mil or whatever)
    - I can count on one hand the number who would ever know the truth. Begging letters etc is one thing, but you wouldn't want to become a ransom target either.

I'd probably still do many of the same things I do today, just a lot more comfortably. I'd travel, have various properties in Ireland and abroad, few nice cars (Ferraris and stuff wouldn't be my thing but a nice fully loaded Audi A8 and Q7 would be good), and doing things I enjoy. The bulk of the cash would be locked away/invested to live off and for the future of my family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

As a few others have said on here I'd keep my job to..

I enjoy the craziness of it all.

My hobbies are running/ cycling / family and dogs .... I got everything I need folks ... ye can keep ur fur coats and crowns.
    Would you really keep working full-time if you won, say, five million? I've no interest in fur coats and crowns and the like either. I prefer your hobbies and interests too - and not having to work would give me more time to enjoy them.

I dunno... it's like some people here want to show how non materialistic they are. I wouldn't be buying any flash cars or a mansion or lots of designer clothes/shoes/accessories or jewellery... which puts me in an even more comfortable position to quit working as there's no danger of me blowing the money.

All it would do is eliminate the need to make an income. It doesn't mean you HAVE to go flashing the cash.

Wouldn’t even go in to get anything off my desk. Straight out to a house on a cliff in the southwest somewhere to live out my days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Wouldn’t even go in to get anything off my desk. Straight out to a house on a cliff in the southwest somewhere to live out my days.
    Aw man, Bere Island or somewhere... divine! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Celchick wrote: »
    Would you really keep working full-time if you won, say, five million? h.

Look who really knows .... I suppose your right in way ... id defo let it sink in...

Youd start thinking I could be out cycling now but at work when you don't need money .... so yeh .... who knows

The fact I don't do lottery or have any rich family I've resigned myself to the reality I don't ever truly have to think about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

In reality, if you enjoy what you do, it won’t change you.

Personally, I wouldn’t change much.

As I have said before if the win was large enough, I would set up a seed fund for young people. A loan system to help them start businesses and once a certain level of profit reached, then repayment to help someone else.

I am someone who hates having nothing to do. I don’t think I would change much. Currently family is basically taken of with school etc.

I think the only thing that I have always wanted to do is build my own house. That would happen, just I would be involved in every aspect of that process.

So basically, I would absolutely work in what I do already, but also add a few other things to it that I enjoy.

A lot would depend on the size of the win. 1 million wouldn't be enough to retire on. It would need to be at least 5 million - and even if untouched (no fancy houses or cars bought) the interest the capital would generate you in Ireland would barely be enough to live off. You'd have to put it in a foreign bank somewhere.

I do know someone who won, about 15 years ago. They still live in the same semi-d, the husband remained working, while the wife gave up until the kids finished school, but she is now back at work, part-time. They're in the same age bracket as me (early 50s).

They have a very comfortable lifestyle, nice cars and like to travel, but you'd never know by their lifestyle alone that they were lotto winners.

Celchick wrote: »
    Aw man, Bere Island or somewhere... divine! :)

Absolute bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

I often thought about whether I’d stay in the job I’m in if I won the lotto and because I deal with the public and therefore, the utter rubbish I have to listen to at times, I think I’d last until I met the first whiny b*****d and say to myself , nah I’ve had enough and I’d tell that customer he’s a whiny b*****d and just walk out. Couldn’t give two stuffs about the inevitable customer complaint.

• Advertisement

I often thought about whether I’d stay in the job I’m in if I won the lotto and because I deal with the public and therefore, the utter rubbish I have to listen to at times, I think I’d last until I met the first whiny b*****d and say to myself , nah I’ve had enough and I’d tell that customer he’s a whiny b*****d and just walk out. Couldn’t give two stuffs about the inevitable customer complaint.

If I left at the first whiny customer I’d only last til abut 8:05 the first morning anyway so might as well not show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Yes because writing and editing is like a hobby for me and it's my job. Would be more picky about my subjects though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I definitely would, but it wouldn't bother me if I made a profit or not. I'd quit being a barman, but I'd continue as a tour guide, which I really enjoy. I add something really positive to Kilkenny as I do my tours in French and German, if I won the lotto, I'd stop giving English tours as I wouldn't need to do them for the income. Furthermore, I've spent the last six years getting a degree in languages and even though it is a nice skill to have, I want to use it productively. I also completed the national tour guiding programme last year and I will be a qualified tour guide next month, hopefully. I just love telling foreigners in their own language about how amazing Kilkenny is, and explaining Irish history and culture. I feel they go back home with a better understanding of Ireland than if it was explained to them in English.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I definitely would, but it wouldn't bother me if I made a profit or not. I'd quit being a barman, but I'd continue as a tour guide, which I really enjoy. I add something really positive to Kilkenny as I do my tours in French and German, if I won the lotto, I'd stop giving English tours as I wouldn't need to do them for the income. Furthermore, I've spent the last six years getting a degree in languages and even though it is a nice skill to have, I want to use it productively. I also completed the national tour guiding programme last year and I will be a qualified tour guide next month, hopefully. I just love telling foreigners in their own language about how amazing Kilkenny is, and explaining Irish history and culture. I feel they go back home with a better understanding of Ireland than if it was explained to them in English.

What about foreigners that speak English?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Not a chance. Id volunteer however!
    Couldn’t sit idle and not help others. It wouldn’t sit well with me. It would be so lovely to be able to choose what I do with my days - work at things and for people I care about as opposed to earning money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What about foreigners that speak English?

If I won the lotto, they would have a choice of a tour in French or German from me or go with one of the dozen or so excellent tour guides that are also available in Kilkenny.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

No, if I won enough I'd walk immediately.

In time I might do something easier part time or some volunteering, but I'd mainly enjoy life.

There's a big world out there if you could afford to head off and explore on a whim whenever the mood strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A lot would depend on your age and current circumstances. I'm on the wrong side of 55 now and all my kids are reared so I'd be gone at the drop of a hat. Someone in their 20s', 30s' and even 40s' with a couple of kids is a different proposition though.

I know three people that won fairly big. All stayed working in the jobs they were in. The biggest winner (3m +) took a year off, with the intention of packing up altogether, but was ready to return to work within 6 months. With three young kids in primary school he couldn't just take off on a world cruise at the drop of a hat, nor could he just indulge in his hobbies all day and all night. He did say that he played golf for approximately 300 days out of his 365 and now it wouldn't bother him if he never picked up a golf club again. His biggest issue was the lack of adult company and finding ways to pass most of his day once the golf was done with.
    Work is actually one of our biggest social outlets, as evidenced by the number of people that say they feel isolated working from home all the time. Most seem quite eager to get back, if only for two or three days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Right now as much as I would love to jack it all in and travel the world I have school going kids. Given they will be tied for school for a few more years I dont think id quit my job. I would be bored senseless at home so would need something to keep me occupied. But Id love my position to be flexible to allow me take off for the Summers. As soon as the kids were older I would be off exploring the world. I have no family so no one to share the money with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Not a hope of me working. Though I would start a college/ further training course.
    And hire a cleaner for the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

I'd leave work without a second thought. I'd buy a big garage with a house on the side for herself, and I'd keep myself busy with cars and bikes. My daughter is still in school so I'd stay living in Ireland for the time being, but who knows what the future will bring. I wouldn't mind living in Spain or Portugal.

I think if you do win it you should give up your job.

Give someone else a chance to get a job you really dont need anymore.

I hate those people who carry on working.

Should?

If someone is a successful business owner, and has made enough money that they never have to work again, would you also expect them to close down their business, to "give someone else a chance?" After all, they dont need it any more.

Or does this only apply to lotto winners? :rolleyes:

Lazing around and spending money would suit me down to the ground. In saying that the work I do is important to me and I love it. So maybe I'd think of a way to keep my foot in the door.

Oh but to be a billionaire! Not even Covid would get in my way. Yes I'd donate to some worthy causes and ensure the people I love are looked after. But I'll be honest everyday would be a Frosty day :D

I would set up a tax deductible charity to make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would set up a tax deductible charity to make more money.

The Charities Regulator might have a different view on the "charity making money" thing.

The Charities Regulator might have a different view on the "charity making money" thing.

Bertie could always use donations to pay himself an attractive CEO salary and expenses. None of his own money goes into the charity, but some of the charity money goes into his personal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd have told my boss to shove his job up his hole within seconds of winning the lotto

Why tell him just leave quietly and never return

Bertie could always use donations to pay himself an attractive CEO salary and expenses. None of his own money goes into the charity, but some of the charity money goes into his personal account.

That's why I keep you on retainer Leggy, you can cook those books like no other.

That's why I keep you on retainer Leggy, you can cook those books like no other.

And also count as a legitimate expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Greyfox wrote: »
    Same here, I'd definitely never work again. I think people who say they'd stay working need to get more hobbies and an imagination. Life is short.

Generally hobbies will only get you so far. Most millionaires are working. Ron Dennis retired a few years back but got bored of paradise islands and returned to work in F1. He obviously enjoys the challenge of the job.

No job can be risky as its great for helping keep a routine. You may feel purposeless with no job. I think the ideal is, maybe 20 hours a week that's easy enough going but is still a challenge in some sense and gives you a sense of reward. Its usually a good social outlet too and a chance to feel part of a team.

My mum was working a few mornings a week pre covid at 76 and hopes to return in the next few months. Shes glad to have it for something to do.

Advertisement