Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you work if you did not have too? Say you won the lotto tomorrow.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Those who say they know know those who say they know don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Most people that win the lottery are broke. Divorced or dead after 5 years. Just stay poor and happy
    https://www.syracuse.com/lottery/2016/01/powerball_jackpot_curse_winner_horror_stories.html
    There is a simple psychological (mental processing error) reason for this self-sabotage.

Those folks who (subconsciously) loose/spend/give away all their lucky money, believe simply they're not deserving, nor worthy of such bags full of monies, and thus get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d go in for one more day, just to brag about my big win, really rub it in. Then tell all my ‘colleagues’ to go feck themselves.

So no, I wouldn’t continue working.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,640 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Id probably buy all the best tools and equipment and an old boat and do it up. There's loads of project involving hand work that I'd love to have time to do . Love wood work and construction. Probably plan out my garden and make some mad follies in it. Coupled with long travel stints in the year I'd buy homes for all the family so they'd be mortgage and rent free. Maybe invest in small family business

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Once i'd made sure i had all my ducks in a row i'd quit work and devote my time to a full scale classical education; philosophy, art history, bushcraft...all that ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Once i'd made sure i had all my ducks in a row i'd quit work and devote my time to a full scale classical education; philosophy, art history, bushcraft...all that ****.

Some of those courses are harder than a full time job. They are time consuming. People think the Arts are just for faffing around but there's loads of reading, studying etc involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Some of those courses are harder than a full time job. They are time consuming. People think the Arts are just for faffing around but there's loads of reading, studying etc involved.

Well aware of that but it's work i'd actually value and enjoy as opposed my currently drudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Well aware of that but it's work i'd actually value and enjoy as opposed my currently drudgery.

That's different so as long as you are passionate about it.
    I sound like a bad career guidance teacher :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This thread explains why lotto winners end up broke.

So many want to be a property developers eh!

I would keep doing my job. I really enjoy it. Maybe increase the unpaid leave though, or drop to a 3 day week, take more time off.

Can't travel anywhere at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Not a fùckin prayer would I work to make money for someone else if I won the lotto. I kind of resent people that do, shows a serious lack of imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd set up a company that invests in and helps smaller/startup companies.

I know plenty of people who have enough money not to work, they all work. Not working gets pretty boring - you need something to get out of bed or you'll go insane. You can still work and have a great time, go on lots of holidays and have great experiences etc. Then again these people have all made their own fortunes, it may be different if you just win the lotto. Look at all those tv shows of people winning tens of millions on the lotto and either their lives fall apart or they lose it all, or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

pwurple wrote: »

I would keep doing my job. I really enjoy it. Maybe increase the unpaid leave though, or drop to a 3 day week, take more time off.

Ditto, keep working but scale back to 3 or 4 days a week. Keep the brain engaged and have a sense of self worth. There's a reason there are no idle self-made millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'd quit my job on the way home from the bank. 40 years doing the same job and I'm done. I'd ensure enough was ring fenced to guarantee an income of 50k pa for life and I'd have fun with the rest. If it went pear-shaped, I'd happily return to my current standard of living

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

AMKC wrote: »
    So you would continue working in one of the most dangerous industries there is. You most really love it.

What's grunt work lol?

Really bad sign when don't know grunt work is maybe you already win the lottery

I would quitely retire and move to some little village open a small bookshop employ somebody and under the pretense of buying books I travelled to places I really want to see. Saying that if you won the lottery could you trust anybody to keep your secret?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd invest in the markets, do a bit of day trading with just enough money to keep me interested while not risking the lotto money. I'd spend 5-6 months travelling, when in the 5 star resorts I'd tell people I made my fortune in the stock market.

Spend alot of time in Dubai and Florida and play alot of golf and tennis while going to alot of the big sporting events. You only live once and no point being the richest man in the graveyard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Definitely give up work, but still love I.T. so would keep a foot in there even if it's just open source projects.

Plenty of travel, see other countries like Japan and China.
    Moving to another country is a consideration, somewhere with better weather and better government.

But a decent bike and cycle a lot.

But all those ideas are limited with wife and kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭inthenip

Give up work completely.

I hate the fact work dictates where you have to be, what time you get up and answering to someone else. Work for me is just money, it brings me no joy whatsoever, it's just a paycheck. Five weeks off in the year and when Friday comes I'm physically and mentally shagged.

I'd buy myself a nice house, nice car and travel the world for a year. I'd probably end up buying the local pub and once it broke even every year I'd be happy.

Might setup a dog rescue as well.

I'd quit my current job, no doubt, but I would take up one or two part-time roles.
    Always wanted to get involved with the RNLI, so would focus on that, and then might get involved in some kids clubs. Maybe after school, where I do an hour or two a week, where I teach the kids a skill, or doing some sort of sport with them.

Both roles need to be voluntary, so with a couple of weeks notice, I can disappear for a month or two travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I'd have told my boss to shove his job up his hole within seconds of winning the lotto

I actually get on with my boss and have a good relationship with my work colleagues. So much so that if I won the Euromillions tonight, I wouldn't pack in my job immediately. I'd hand in my notice but I'd keep working until they found a replacement and had them trained in. Then I'd abandon ship and live a life of luxury. I have hobbies so I'd probably throw myself into them.

People need hobbies or something (easy part-time job even) to occupy their time when they are millionaires because there is the temptation to party a little too hard and let their life spiral out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Not a good plan.

I’d keep working for at least a few months as normal so as not to arouse any suspicion about winning the lotto etc.

After enough time had elapsed I’d then indicate I was moving on and hand in my notice.

I’d then go full time farming, buy a heap more land and the best of machinery.

Don't know how yad keep it under the radar. Id be grinning ear to ear all day long. They'd think I'm mental or something.

AMKC wrote: »
    So would you?

I would not.

Far to many places to go and see and things to do without wasting time working if I were to win the lotto.
    If anyone asks what you do easy you just say your an investor.

But would you be happy? Would it change you for the better or the worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'd keep working myself, at least for a little while to settle things down. Buy a nice house. Put some of money away into bonds or something to protect it. And travel, a lot! Enjoy myself a bit. But after that I actually don't know. I think I'd still work in some way shape or form, with the knowledge that I'm financially secure no matter what.

I've heard from some people who got millions from trading that sitting on the beach sipping cocktails gets old really fast. One guy went back into the working world as an entrepreneur and now runs a few businesses. It makes sense - humans need goals and challenges in life. Ambitions. Not working at something, or towards something would make you miserable IMO, no matter how much money you have.

I'm in a lotto syndicate at the moment and if we were lucky enough to win it. I reckon 3members of the syndicate would be death within six months (coke, prostitutes, drink) Considering their restraint party animals at the moment and are still overdoing it.

Elessar wrote: »
    I'd keep working myself, at least for a little while to settle things down. Buy a nice house. Put some of money away into bonds or something to protect it. And travel, a lot! Enjoy myself a bit. But after that I actually don't know. I think I'd still work in some way shape or form, with the knowledge that I'm financially secure no matter what.

I've heard from some people who got millions from trading that sitting on the beach sipping cocktails gets old really fast. One guy went back into the working world as an entrepreneur and now runs a few businesses. It makes sense - humans need goals and challenges in life. Ambitions. Not working at something, or towards something would make you miserable IMO, no matter how much money you have.

I'd do something like that myself but would have to be flexi time. No one dictating where you have to be and not having to get up a certain time.

It drives me cracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Harry lyme

I'd keep working for a few months and then hand in my notice not to arouse any suspicion about suddenly quitting work. Then I'd buy a house near a golf course and take up playing golf again as a way of filling in the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

Id like to think I'd still work but go on amazing holidays each year.depends how distracted I get by the winnings.
    Would also maybe offer my boss to invest in the business if I felt there would be a return.to keep me grounded!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I would probably tip away at something that interested me, but I wouldn't let it take up as much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if you kept working and got any little bit of crap from your boss, id say you would walk out very easily, like you have 50 million in the bank and your boss starts giving out about something small.

• Advertisement

Euromillions done for tonight.

Please God just let me win. I want a new Lamborghini, the Micra is getting a bit shook.

Advertisement