Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,800 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

trixiebust wrote: »
    What I don't understand is if they've been trying to find cures for cancer & the likes for ever with billions spent on research, still no cure, but within 10 months they've found a cure for this?

Cancer isn't an infectious disease, they are different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,220 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What I don't understand is if they've been trying to find cures for cancer & the likes for ever with billions spent on research, still no cure, but within 10 months they've found a cure for this?

Cancer is not a virus... they’re different things with different solutions and levels of difficulty. Also, a vaccine is not a cure, it’s a preventative.

Incidentally, most common forms of cancer have massively increased survival rates because of the billions spent on research. Rarer cancers have less funding, and thus less successful cures.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

We do have a vaccine for many cancers - the HPV vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Cancer is not a virus... they’re different things with different solutions and levels of difficulty. Also, a vaccine is not a cure, it’s a preventative.

Incidentally, most common forms of cancer have massively increased survival rates because of the billions spent on research. Rarer cancers have less funding, and thus less successful cures.

If you watch the news the only info you'll get is we're all in the midst of a global pandemic lol with frontline workers as though we are at war.

It doesn't matter how you phrase a virus or a disease, different levels of difficulty is a bit of a joke imo.

It's not the virus itself I'm disputing,I don't believe it's the great killer of our times it's the angle of coverage the news have given it. Complete sensationalism

If you watch the news the only info you'll get is we're all in the midst of a global pandemic lol with frontline workers as though we are at war.

"It's a warzone in here; please stay at home" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

It doesn't matter how you phrase a virus or a disease, different levels of difficulty is a bit of a joke imo.
    Do you not know what a virus is?
    Do you not know how a vaccine works?

It's not the virus itself I'm disputing,I don't believe it's the great killer of our times it's the angle of coverage the news have given it. Complete sensationalism

So the news coverage of the global pandemic that is affecting almost every aspect of our lives is annoying you..

"It's a warzone in here; please stay at home" :pac:
    Lol
    "Here's a video of some doctors dancing to try and lighten their mood during a ****ty time. Obviously this proves it's all fake and part of a giant global conspiracy."

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,220 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

No, the virus isn’t the great killer of our times. But left unchecked it’s the great hospitaliser of our times. And when hospitals are full, way more people die. From covid, from cancer, from car accidents, from heart attacks, from food poisoning, from flu, from sepsis, from infections etc etc etc.

Covid is bad enough by itself, but its real danger is its rapid reproduction, exponential growth and spread. Look at the case numbers in the US - they rise faster and faster because this thing moves fast if you let it. So, again, left unchecked for long enough it will consume any health service you throw at it. Which means there’s no health service for all the other issues. Which is why we all have restrictions until we have a vaccine to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

King Mob wrote: »
    Lol
    "Here's a video of some doctors dancing to try and lighten their mood during a ****ty time. Obviously this proves it's all fake and part of a giant global conspiracy."

:pac:

So incredibly overwhelmed that they had time to make scores of dancing videos.

• Advertisement

Fodla wrote: »
    So now on top of everything else, you're claiming that doctors and hospitals aren't being overtaxed or put under extra pressure?

And you wonder why no one is taking you guys any more seriously than the flat earthers?

Nurses and doctors are generally overwhelmed (I know some, they are working brutal hours). That doesn't mean that early on in the crisis some of them couldn't find some free time to make some dance videos.

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Nurses and doctors are generally overwhelmed (I know some, they are working brutal hours). That doesn't mean that early on in the crisis some of them couldn't find some free time to make some dance videos.

I don't doubt that they work incredibly hard and brutal hours, and I have incredible respect for doctors and nurses. But it struck me as odd that a minority of nurses thought it wise to post dancing videos while people were at home unable to get hospital appointments. It upset a lot of people at the time. It's the posting of the videos that upset people. I'm certainly not saying that nurses shouldn't try to keep their spirits up. But even an NHS doctor recently acknowledged in an article he wrote that the dancing videos were ill advised: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/covid-ward-consultants-powerful-message-19317560

"there is often a mention of (ill-advised) “tik tok dances” by staff in uniform posted online in March and April ..."

I don't doubt that they work incredibly hard and brutal hours, and I have incredible respect for doctors and nurses. But it struck me as odd that a minority of nurses thought it wise to post dancing videos while people were at home unable to get hospital appointments. It upset a lot of people at the time. It's the posting of the videos that upset people. I'm certainly not saying that nurses shouldn't try to keep their spirits up. But even an NHS doctor recently acknowledged in an article he wrote that the dancing videos were ill advised: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/covid-ward-consultants-powerful-message-19317560

"there is often a mention of (ill-advised) “tik tok dances” by staff in uniform posted online in March and April ..."
    So what was your point exactly?
    And how does it fit into your conspiracy?
    Do you believe that these doctors and nurses were told to do these videos by the shadowy They/WEF?

So what was your point exactly?
    And how does it fit into your conspiracy?
    Do you believe that these doctors and nurses were told to do these videos by the shadowy They/WEF?

No. I'm saying that I agree with that NHS doctor that the videos were ill-advised. No conspiracy.

I don't doubt that they work incredibly hard and brutal hours, and I have incredible respect for doctors and nurses. But it struck me as odd that a minority of nurses thought it wise to post dancing videos while people were at home unable to get hospital appointments. It upset a lot of people at the time. It's the posting of the videos that upset people. I'm certainly not saying that nurses shouldn't try to keep their spirits up. But even an NHS doctor recently acknowledged in an article he wrote that the dancing videos were ill advised:

Indeed but it was a few isolated cases. Not every single doctor and nurse around the world was working flat-out 100% of the time.

Conspiracy theorists use the videos to try and imply the virus wasn't happening and that medical staff had "so much free time", which, if you know hospital workers, is obviously idiotic, even without a pandemic.

No. I'm saying that I agree with that NHS doctor that the videos were ill-advised. No conspiracy.
    Then what did you mean by:
    ?
    To me and others that sounds like you are accusing them of not being overwhelmed.

That's what other conspiracy theorists have claimed.

Then what did you mean by:
    ?
    To me and others that sounds like you are accusing them of not being overwhelmed.

That's what other conspiracy theorists have claimed.

I was specifically referring to the nurses in the dancing videos. Not every nurse and doctor. Do you agree with that NHS doctor that the videos were ill advised?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do you have evidence for this? How many is "a lot of people"?

I was specifically referring to the nurses in the dancing videos.
    I didn't ask who you were refering to, I asked what you meant.
    Try again without dodging the question.
    Do you agree with that NHS doctor that the videos were ill advised?
    Why are you asking me a question when you keep dodging mine?

• Advertisement

Do you have evidence for this? How many is "a lot of people"?

I remember reading articles at the time about people being upset.

Do you think people had reason to be upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Yes. The "anti-vaxxers" just continue to preach their brand of pseudo-science for the new vaccine technology, many of whom are just paranoid people who have an irrational fear of technology/science.

I'm not fearful of technology or science. I'm an engineer. I'm fearful of technology in the hands of people with ulterior motives.

I'm not "anti-vaxx" either. But I cherish the right to refuse a vaccine as is my right.

A girl my OH worked with developed narcolepsy and catalepsy after taking the swine flu vaccine. She is one of hundreds whose lives have been irreversibly damaged by this vaccine. She can no longer drive a car or been by herself for any extended period of time for fear that she might just fall asleep or go catatonic and crack her skull on the pavement.

Now with that in mind would you so quickly take such a vaccine? We're not talking about autism or microchips or changing your DNA or reading your thoughts or any stuff like that. We're talking real, observed and documented, life-altering side effects. With that risk very real I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be so gung-ho about taking the vaccine yourself or be so condescending of those who are reluctant to do so.

In other news Qantas have announced that they will refuse to allow anyone on their international flights who has not taken the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I remember reading articles at the time about people being upset.

Do you think people had reason to be upset?

So hoe many people? 1? 10? 10,000?

I dont think they had a right to be upset no.

Right, but what is the conspiracy here?

Indeed, masks might be around for a long time. Indeed, in the short run, people might need to use apps to get into events where a lot of people are closely packed together. Why are you so fearful of basic common sense requirements, is there something sinister behind you are imagining?

Why are you so accepting of social controls?

It seems to me that if it was announced that everyone (yourself included) needed to submit to a cavity search everytime they wished to enter a venue to screen against Covid you'd accept that too.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Do you only see two states? All or nothing?

The reality is they research trends and take what measures they see as being most beneficial, only impinging and disrupting general society where it’s considered a necessity.

Yes I see two states. Consistency or insconsistency.

It's like a football ground that has a few turnstiles and a few inspectors there checking that the fans have tickets. Walk around the sides of the ground and it is all completely open. No fences, barriers, anyone can and does just walk in up the steps and pick their favoured spot in the stands or terraces.

I'm fearful of technology in the hands of people with ulterior motives.

Which, if you draw a Venn diagram, occupies the same space as conspiracy theorists. Unless of course you can actually give evidence of and detail the ulterior motives
    In other news Qantas have announced that they will refuse to allow anyone on their international flights who has not taken the vaccine.

Yup, Qantas are looking into potentially changing their policy to only take vaccinated travelers on international flights. Makes sense. It's also highly likely that as the virus abates this would be reversed.

Why are you so accepting of social controls?

I'm not "so accepting of social controls", I support common sense measures.
    It seems to me that if it was announced that everyone (yourself included) needed to submit to a cavity search everytime they wished to enter a venue to screen against Covid you'd accept that too.

That makes utterly no sense. You seem to be guided by some sort of over-arching world view, rather than looking at each situation objectively and case by case.

Were we still all wearing masks from the Spanish flu in 1918? No. Some measures will be short term, some measures will be longer term. It's all based on common sense and medical science.

It means that people may chose to wear masks for a long time, as a precaution, or even as a habit, this happened in Asia.

DJ, history has shown that measures taken under a state of emergency tend to stick.

Take the State of Emergency introduced in France in 2015. It was a "temporary" measure but was extended 5 times and eventually became permanent in 2017. It has been used for stop and search against people based purely on suspicion with no link to criminal behaviour. It has been used to break up gatherings of environmentalists, trade unionists and to essentially quash any dissent in French society.

It's as much of a damp squib as that other great virus, the Y2K bug :pac:

• Advertisement

DJ, history has shown that measures taken under a state of emergency tend to stick.

That's a bad generalisation. It depends entirely on the situation. Again, you seem to be trying to paint everything with the same brush.
    Take the State of Emergency introduced in France in 2015. It was a "temporary" measure but was extended 5 times and eventually became permanent in 2017.

Yes, they were renewed because of repeated terrorist attacks and plots. There is still wide public support for the measures (at some points between 80% and 90% of French people supporting it)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement