Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I used decathlon units when I went to IKEA once, though I wasn't alone, so I left our IKEA haul with my wife while I got the car from decathlon. Last time I used the IKEA units themselves. Neither are sufficient enough that I could top up fully in my time in IKEA, but it's a bit of a pity the IKEA ones are 7kW, and only 2 of them.

As I left the last time, a PHEV BMW pulled up and plugged into the IKEA unit. Never started charge, just wanted the convenient parking... there was lots of alternative convenient parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JC 3.14159

Yep, I've done it a few times. It's good to know that there will definitely be available, decent-ish chargers available. I've only ever seen 2 or 3 occupied out of 10 or 12 or whatever they have. For me it means I can make it back home without a second charging stop if I stay in Ikea for 2 hours or so.

I have no qualms using them whether I'm going to Decathlon or not (although I generally have bought a few bit in there too) - they are paid chargers and Decathlon are presumably getting their cut from Easygo, I view it as a separate business that Decathlon are running. The new higher Easygo rates have a pretty decent margin built in compared to business electricity prices, I don't think either party is losing money there.

The free Easygo ones in Lidl etc as something different - I only use them when I am shopping there. Lidl are paying for that electricity, it's reasonable to do some shopping there if availing of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

With the new rapid chargers going into Lidl you DO actually pay 26 cent per Kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

You say that, but where Decathlon and/or its car park now exist used to simply be a further away car park for IKEA, so it's not that far in the grand scheme of things. As other posters have mentioned, it's definitely easier if there's someone else with you and the car can be brought to the cargo rather than lugging everything to Decathlon, but people must have done the equivalent at one point all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MichaelR

The new EasyGo rates don't seem to affect the Decathlon chargers if the EasyGo app is to be trusted. The current rate is probably "break even" or so for Decathlon. And for me there is no difference between a 7 kWh and a 22 kWh charger (the Soul EV can only do single-phase 7 kWh AC charging from either). But I guess many people already use Decathon's chargers when Ikea's are occupied :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

Typically lidl has no barriers to prevent entry outside of opening hours. The 50kW+ chargers are pay to use so you should be able to access and pay. In some premium city sites they have parking rules/clamping signs, but in general most 50+kW should be accessible.

Easygo also have chargers at DCU etc that are public and available 24/7.

In terms of personal security lidl can be very quiet outside of opening hours, and some are in dodgy areas so lock doors and consider not leaving car unattended. Boy racers often meet there outside of opening hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Impressing price comparison from easygo 🤣🤣🤣

https://easygo.ie/roaming-savings/

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I was really unimpressed by the email they sent about this. At 22kWh per month, the ecars PAYG is at most €121.70 (all at >50kW stations), which is €16.78 less than easygo. They also mentioned Ionity at several points in the email and on the page with the price comparison, but at no point do they mention the price that they charge for Ionity stations (€0.26 access and €0.76/kWh).

I actually think it's the most misleading marketing I have seen in a long time. There hasn't even been an attempt to ground it in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes they are very economical with the truth I find. Pity

As of a week's time (July 8th) the Lidl chargers operated by EasyGo will become markedly more expensive:

• Republic of Ireland:
    • AC Chargers 40c per kWh
    • DC Chargers 45c per kWh
    • Northern Ireland:
    • AC Chargers 36p per kWh
    • DC Chargers 41p per kWh

In ROI that's up from free for AC (widely abused, admittedly), and 27c per kWh for DC. I assume access fees will also be introduced given it's EasyGo.

While something had to give around the AC chargers being abused, I can't help but think this will see Lidl lose customers who previously picked them over other retailers for the free AC charging, or very reasonably priced DC charging. Certainly I tended towards them over Aldi for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1

AC charging at a supermarket just doesn’t appeal to me. Like it’s generally a local lifl people go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Unfortunately had to happen. Not being too mean and doesn’t apply to all but the biggest entitled See you next Tuesdays I’ve seen are E car drivers around something free or was free. Still doesn’t stop people from plugging in and leaving for days though ( seen this a few times at lidls). From my experience e car drivers are way worse than ice drivers.

I think it's been done to death here about AC charging at Lidl, but if I'm going to find myself in there for a spell doing a large shop, being neutral or up on charge at no extra cost by the time I get home is a nice perk, nothing more, nothing less. Had I a car capable of 22 kW charging then it'd be all the sweeter, obviously, but I don't.

At 40c/kWh, on the other hand, I can see the AC chargers ending up grossly underutilised from next weekend onwards though, it's more expensive than the same service from eCars after all, and vastly more expensive than home charging, and as you say people are generally visiting them as a local trip, not really needing to charge there.

Unfortunately had to happen. Not being too mean and doesn’t apply to all but the biggest entitled See you next Tuesdays I’ve seen are E car drivers around something free or was free. 

Oh, I'd agree with a lot of this. I've regularly plugged in while getting some shopping and the other connector on the charger is plugged into another BEV with 40+ kWh and counting taken on. Given the cars involved, and that the units ticked up at a similar rate to my own (car still there when I was leaving), that means the car was there for 4 hours minimum. Or another instance where a 221 Ioniq (not 5) seemed to have the same taken in when I started and when I left, suggesting it was well full and the owner had abandoned it there who-knows-how-long prior to that.

I think the fairest way of working chargers as an "incentive" to shop (if that is the aim, which it seemed to be up to now) would be if they could operate it somewhat like parking validation, where spending X in the shop gets you up to the value/duration of a reasonable (AC - 30 mins of DC could deliver a lot, after all) charging session waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Totally agree. Tesco in some spots gives you 2 hours parking free when you spend 30 euro (maybe more now, been a while). Maybe spend 30 euro and get an hours charging free. But would need integration in the a add pp to scan the code etc .

ive literally seen tourists plug in on a Friday night drink the whole weekend and unplug on Monday morning. Quite annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭innrain

I personally welcome this. They can gauge the demand which now would be genuine. Also they can do a section on their app where they can give some points/vouchers towards the charging if they want to reward their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was very impressed that somebody in easygo's marketing dept had the balls to put those calculations together, gave me a good laugh

I mainly use the DC chargers at my local, which will soon be 45c per kWh... My home rate is 22c so 27c/unit to guarantee a decently charged battery in the morning, while doing the shopping was well worth it in my books. Now I'll be shopping in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭society4

Roughly how much would it cost if you charged for 45 mins at a lidl charger with an onboard charger of 6.6kw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Comer1

6.6x.75x.4=1.98

• Advertisement

Are lidl chargers 22kw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Do the EasyGo chargers at Lidl also charge the 27c access fee?

If so, that would bring it up to €2.25, give or take.

Any of the AC ones I've used/looked up seem to be.

Remains to be seen. No access fee was mentioned in the mail from EasyGo, and obviously there wasn't one with free charging, but I think all the chargers that have a fee seem to do so. SuperValu in Dunboyne made a similar change in recent months (from free charging to a fee per unit), and they now have an access fee on their chargers.

Excuse my ev ignorance, but would you get much charging done in 45 mins done in a lidl charger ….would it be around 20% or less?

Percentages depend a lot on the size of the battery in the car, but also the on-board charger. With a 39kWh battery you should get 25% or so in an hour if it has an 11kW charger (pretty commonplace in BEVs), but that would only be approx 16% of a 64kWh battery.

The few cars with 22kW chargers like the Renault Zoé, on the other hand can really make hay on them as they'll pull the full 22kW, and with a 52kWh battery, that's about 40% in an hour, 30% in 45 mins.

Possible. There is no mention of that but I'd say it is very likely they will add it.

At the AC charging points no. I opt for DC charging while shopping if I have the choice. However, one can argue that once they are paying for charging can be there as long as the parking rules allows it, without being a shop customer. If they are paying for it we still call it hogging?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Tried easy go charger today..session stopped after 40 minutes?

11kw so wanted a few hours charge

Do they randomly disconnect?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Did you run out of credit on your account? I know they used to stop the session without notifying you about this in the past.

No I went back and started again but it was only charging at 4kwh. Switched to next port and it charged at 11kwh and topped up the car in an hour..

• Advertisement

Easygo got back to me.. I had like 2 euro on my account when I started the charge. I immediately topped up but it limited the power based on my account balance. Worked fine since. Just need to make sure funds are on account before starting charge

Advertisement