Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 outlyer

It’s a pity easygo didn’t decide to keep their rates below ESB’s and increase revenue with increased use. I get the impression a large portion of EV drivers have never heard of them and their chargers seem to be under used. (I could be wrong, does anyone have data on their chargers’ usage?)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They are used a lot, especially the AC sites. Dont think there's data on their use available. But at 60c/kWh for measly 50kW speeds I wont be using them again. I used to use the one on the M6/M4 services quite a bit as there were two there but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭innrain

My guesses:

BOI

Kennedy Rd in the car park,

Green Bank Car park

Tullow

Site 5. Any guess is good. The GPS coordinates point to this location so along this rd anyway.

Site 6 again the GPS coordinates don't say too much

The 60c/kWh is a singular case. Most of the others are still 40c/kWh and Lidl DCs are 28c/kWh (cheaper than e-cars?) I think they already have 6-7 DCs at Lidl already. I use them to the tune of 50-75 quid a month. I have a fob which works no problem, and the app while not the best is better than ecars which is unreliable ref the state of the charger. It tells you the power you draw from the charger which is a plus for some older EVs. It doesn't tell you the time someone it started as ecars does. Having said that I still fear they will increase the prices soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If I'm understanding the Easygo set up correctly the price you pay can be influenced by whatever deal/agreement is in place with a site owner.

Is that there's 60 cent a kwh in at least one location????.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭cython

Yes, Kinnegad Plaza. It's 27c to access the charger, and 57c/kWh then, so close as makes no difference to 60c/kWh unfortunately.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Sounds like their telephone box units, as they said Carlow will be the county to get them first. Great rollout that. If they got those rolled out in short time they'd outpace ecars in 2022 unit installs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think lidl AC free are used by stingy people who have not bothered to get a home charger. The paid lidl 50kW DC I pass regularly gets some usage, probably less than similar esb one.

The kinnegad 2 X 50kW AC gets a good bit of usage, if plugshare check ins and Facebook messages are anything to go by. It's in nearly the perfect position away from esb chargers at a motorway services.

I agree lots of people dont know easygo exist but lots of drivers rarely or never use esb chargers and when they do esb is who they use. People would be aware they exist at lidl stores. My local lidl often has both AC in use by shoppers it seems. They only get 30 minutes charge, but it's a novelty.

Easygo did say that esb low prices were below EU average and they were impacting their pricing. I suspect kinnegad new pricing will be used to make the business case for the viability of more charger installs. High esb networks cost of supply upgrades are also a problem and the typical 4 months delay from charger ready to go to esb networks upgrading the supply. Lidl 50kW at Wicklow town is waiting months to get the power it needs. It's a pity then did not even hook it up to 10kW or 20kW supply load share with the shop as a temporary measure. They don't even have a sign on it saying not working so already people asking questions as to why it won't work.

I have some stats on easygo if you are curious. Just give me a site you're interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

I’ve used (or tried to use Kinnegad) a few times. The way the units are angled can make it difficult to get close enough to plug in.

First time worked no problem.

Second time I was there the right unit would not connect, as I was trying to show someone how they worked.

Third time I arrived to find the entire EasyGo network was down for a few hours (3 sim failure).

On the Galway/Dublin road it’s a better option then Enfield spof (which is nearly always broken), but I wouldn’t bet the house on it just yet.

Given how infrequent I use public charging I’d have no problem with the price if I was guaranteed to have an available working charger.

Used Ionity for the first time recently and think they might be my go to site for the next while anyway.

• Advertisement

Carlow. Anyone know exact location?

Edit seems to be here:

Berlin Hair Lounge

(059) 913 0007

https://maps.app.goo.gl/oxvc5zC8cSGk5YRm8

Spaces say taxi only....

Not powered on yet. Not on easygo app

https://www.plugshare.com/location/374069

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That's across for the banks. Map locations a few posts up.

Contactless payment. Bravo!

Wonder what that'll cost Vs going via the easygo app?

Easygo mentioned touch to pay is more expensive. They could also preauth a relatively high amount on your card which may take a few days to be refunded or released. I don't have numbers to hand but I remember thinking it still makes financial sense to use app or fob. Actual pricing varies by site, kinnegad seem to be most expensive

Post edited by zg3409 on

With that layout many cars will need to park facing wrong way like on quays in Dublin and some cars that have the connector on the front side near the front wheels may have trouble reaching the cable at all. In this day and age that layout is terrible, and a prime location to get ICED or one car blocking entire charger. I wonder will users start double parking in order to get a 15 minute top up...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s two layouts. If you drive up the road the first chargers at your front , the second at its rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

You'll also be very suprised by the reach of the charging lead on those chargers. It's a far superior design to the 50kw ones

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Why have they 2 connections on each charger but only one car can feasibly park legally and charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

CHAdeMo and CCS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,816 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I was at an unmanned filling station in the wife's diesel the other day, I pulled up and there was a screen that asked me how much I wanted to fill (in euro)

I could pay by cash or card, the counter stopped when I reached my chosen limit. If I filed by less than the amount I choose my credit card only got charged that amount and if I paid by cash I got a voucher from the machine for the difference

It beggars belief that in this day and age our futuristic electric car chargers can't do the same

• Advertisement

Looks like a new easygo DC charger is being installed at the lidl in charleville, a welcome boost to the Limerick/Cork corridor. Hopefully it's not limited to the ridiculous15kW they have in mallow

Are we still expected to be lidl customers to use these like we are the free ones?

Of course it is possible. Beside easygo, Top Colquay https://www.plugshare.com/location/332407 is using it. (35quid pre auth) Ecars does this through the app. It is just more expensive as they are working on a very tight margin. If you are a merchant with 10 transactions a day vs 10000 transaction a day your charged differently by the credit card companies. A transaction at a petrol station is upwards of 50 quid while at EV chargers 10-20 quid. A transaction fee is usually % + fixed minimum charge. Is more significant on a smaller transaction. The ICE users have done refueling so many times, while EV drivers are a bit novice at whole process. When stopped for a charge have you thought in advance how many kWh are you going to buy in that particular charging session? The payment module at the charger is added cost. All in all it appears more convenient but the costs can add up quicky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I see there are 3 x 2 plug AC units in "Westpark Campus" in Shannon. Are these public or private? Plugshare doesn't specify like I've seen sometimes and the one check-in says nothing about it. But the location does look like it might be private.

And yes, I am familiar with the other charger locations in the area. I just might be spending a few days in the area and want to know about all the options, however unlikely it would be that I'd use this, if public.

To allow the charger space be used by both chademo and CCS cars?????

So two cars can always charge there regardless.

2 Leafs can charge simultaneously.

2 CCS can charge simultaneously

1 Leaf and 1 CCS.

Etc.

That's how two connectors make sense even though only one car can park in a space.

I think in terms of €, not kWh, just like I think that way on a diesel car

By two cars can charge there - i mean there's 2 charging spaces with 1 charger per unit.

2 connectors per unit means that if there's an empty space - then ANY car with DC charging can pull in.

No looking at an empty space because a CCS connector is in use but the connector on other unit is Chademo

Is that an Easygo cockup or is it awaiting an ESB networks upgrade*????.

*with the charger having to loadshare with the rest of the site or something in mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yeah makes sense to an extent. However if you have 2 charging units with 2 cables on each, yet only a total of only 2 cars can charge there at any one time, surely a better place could have been found? 4 cars should be able to charge at those units and not 2.

• Advertisement

Easygo are the providers, the book stops with them as far as I'm concerned

Advertisement