Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Carlos Alberto progresses but it was a close tussle. The Random Generator is getting the next match prepared as we speak...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I enjoy watching Tshabalala's goal more, but ultimately I'll have to go for Carlos Alberto. I don't think it should advance any further, but it deserves it for the context, and it's a nice finish to be fair.
    You'd have made it a draw if you'd followed your heart. I don't want to say it's all your fault, but... :p

Alessandro Del Piero (Italy vs France, 2006)

VS

Mario Gotze (Germany vs Argentina, 2014)

Del Piero

It's art, isn't it? The build up is decent but the final little switch pass is beautiful*. Then, on the run, he doesn't lash it, he just calmly caresses it into the top corner. Genuinely wonderful

*edit, just watched it again and again. Look at the angle at 50s, he doesn't look once at where he's passing it. Sublime

And it's after two hours of semi final football against one of the best teams in the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Del Piero.

Cannavarvo's determination to win the ball back. Gilardino's assist and Del Piero's total assurance and control when he strikes the ball. Just class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ooooh this is a doozy!!

Love both goals. They are both massive for their countries.

I think Del Piero just pips it for me. Slightly more to the goal. And I really just love that finish

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I think Del Piero will win this but I'm voting Gotze for the sheer significance of the goal. Not to mention it's a super finish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

ADP, a fantastic goal. I don't really see what the fuss is about the Gotze one to be honest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Del Porto - the play out of defence was superb, but the little pass into Del Piero's path was absolutely sublime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Del Piero at a canter

Everything about it was sublime.

@Omackeral, you had me all confused there wondering when Del Porto scored that against France in the Final when I saw the title above it.

• Advertisement

The commentary is excellent on the Grosso and ADP goals, not that I understand a word of it - but I can understand all the hoarse emotional overload.

So much better than some clown shouting GOOOOOOOL until boredom sets in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Del piero vs GERMANY for me

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Del Piero. What a wonderful counter attack against some increasingly desperate Germans. And that mad Italian commentary. And that finish.

Gotze's goal is a nice goal, but nothing special other than it being a winner in a final.

Del Piero 8 - 1 Gotze

Alessandro Del Piero with a runaway win here. Two underdog nations are coming up next.

Archie Gemill (Scotland vs Netherlands, 1978)

VS

Roger Milla (Cameroon vs Romania, 1990)

Jesus how is Milla still in?

Archie all the way for me

Italia '90 was my first world cup really, and Milla was my favourite non-irish player. But that goal's fairly run of the mill for me (his defining one was robbing Higuita on the halfway line)

That Gemill one though, he dances though all of them. OK they're lunging in a bit, but he's still making the "total football" gurus look like kids in the schoolyard. Then it's a lovely, composed finish when he must have been ODing on adrenaline!

Vote Gemill

Archie Gemill - no contest for me.

• Advertisement

Tough choice, both two excellent goals.

Archie Gemmill.

The build up is so scrappy, players slipping and sliding everywhere - until Gemmill comes roaring into proceedings, like a magical imp with different skill settings to everyone else. Puts one lad on his arse, nutmegs the next, who is also left on his arse, gets past another Dutch defender, whose arse also meets grass and nutmegs his own teammate in the same movement on his way to goal, before a lovely classy finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gemill for me too

Loved the Cameroon story in Italia 90 and they were robbed against England but Gemill's goal is way better

10 minutes remaining.

Omackeral wrote: »
    10 minutes remaining.
    tenor.gif

Archie Gemmil

Thats not even millas best goal at that WC...poor selection

Gemill 6 - 0 Milla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Del Piero if not too late to vote

Gemil.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Del Piero if not too late to vote

That was 2 matches ago :pac:

Really enjoy watching these goals again, even if I've seen them all before. The greatest goals get better the harder you look at them.

Sublime vs Ridiculous coming up...

• Advertisement

Roberto Baggio (Italy vs Czechoslovakia, 1990)

VS

Tim Cahill (Australia vs Netherlands, 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Tim Cahill all day! Baggio goal suffers from poor defending, Cahill's goal has ridiculous technique, off the bar only adds to the aesthetic

Baggio's goal would win a few one on ones and usually I think single hit goals aren't as impressive as intricate goals, but I have to go with Cahill here.

There's such purity in his connection with the ball, power in the shot itself and precision in how it crashes in off the bar.

A player connecting with meaty volley onto a dropping ball is one of the most fundamentally satisfying sights in football, and they don't get much sweeter than Cahill's goal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Cahill all day for me

Cahill

Tim Cahill. Incredible volley that should go a long way in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Roberto Baggio

Tippy-tappy one-two, forceful run like a tip-toeing rhino on the rampage, balletic dummy that sends the defender into orbit, smashing the onion net with the composure of a great Italian chef; more poetic than an operatic opus from Pavarotti! The divine ponytail left a trail of divs and donkeys in his wake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Baggio, as its a great goal and not getting near enough love on this thread

Baggio and his tippy toeing.

Great match up this.

Cahill for me though. Full volleys are great and crossbars are even better. Such a sweet strike and a big goal for Australia.

Shame because I love baggios as well but Cahills is another level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baggio 3 - 7 Cahill

A great battle in the middle of that bout with a resurgence from the Italian but that thunderbastard from Cahill had too much in the end. Coming up is a battle of the South American powerhouses with two completly different types of goals. Interested to get your thoughts on this next match-up...

Ronaldinho (Brazil vs England, 2002)

VS

Estaban Cambiasso (Argentina vs Serbia, 2006)

Cambiasso. I still think Seaman's dodgy positioning is a large factor in that goal by Ronaldinho and I'll not hear anything to dissuade me :P

Cambiasso hands down for me. Unbelievable move with almost everyone involved.

Never really rated Ronaldinhos all that highly. I’d have it as bad goal keeping more so than anything exceptional from him

Cambiasso. Crap keeping from Seaman caused the other one, so not a classic for me.

I'm going to go with Ronaldinho here. Seaman's positioning was off, but he couldn't have expected Ronaldinho to even think about going for it from there, let alone doing it. And I think Ronaldinho totally meant it - look at how he looks up and how he shapes to strike the ball.

That Cambiasso goal is a brilliant team goal, but it's also wildly overrated. 26 passes, but about 20 are just recycling possession. The final few passes are very nifty, but it's still overrated in my book.

Ronaldinho for the sheer audacity of trying it.
    Seeing the keeper off his line, and then executing that kick, over that distance, with that accuracy

For the other one, quantity of passes does not make quality. Most of the passes in the build up are just knocking it round the halfway line unchallenged, I could do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That Argentina goal never did it for me, so Ronaldhino.

Advertisement