Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The nation holds its breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So unfortunately ~Rebel~ cast a vote after the 30 minute window expired. This means we have our first tie of the tournament and it's gonna come down to reasons. Nice bit of drama coming up.

Interestingly, Out of Hagi's 10 votes, he recieved 9 second preferences. Kind of mad. Hold tight for the decision folks...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Arghus wrote: »
    Number two is Tshabalala. The passes leading up to launch the attack are so incisive and satisfying - and I love how you can see Tshabalaba start to move as soon as Mexico's move breaks down. It's a very satisfying move to watch. Then he kind of dawdles with his first touch, but makes up for it when he unexpectedly absolutely leathers it into the net - putting his whole body into it, getting completely off the ground. It's one of those goals where you feel instinctively that it's going to be a goal - then it looks like it's not going to be a goal - then there's a goal again: and what a goal! It's a better goal that what people are giving it credit for. It's a goal I can watch multiple times, there's a lot of elements to it.

Hagi's is great. Fantastic vision and ability. But I prefer the other two.
    I nominate Arghus as having given the best reasons!

The nation holds its breath.
    The nation has passed out :p

Necro wrote: »
    Hadgi
    Tishabanana

Couldn't watch that last one with those awful Vuvuzuelas....

No real references to the goals.

0-0
    1. RSA one. Another classy counter attack
    2. Hagi. Packie would have saved it!

1-0 to Tshabalala in my book.
    cdeb wrote: »

That Hagi goal was about 1am Irish time if memory serves. I think I fell asleep at half-time, but it was a decent game. You know Hagi meant exactly what he pulled off too; no question of it being a cross or a fluke.

Tshabalala is a nice move, but nothing special, so third choice here.

1-1
    Kolido wrote: »
    Hadgi, loved that wc, the late night games, bit like this tournament.
    Balala...pretty generic, see them every weekend

Hagi argument doesn't really describe the goal as such, worth .5 of a vote tho when compared to the other ''generic'' effort

1.5 -1
    That's part of my argument, and why I nominated it. But it's also a brilliant move and finish

1. Tshabalala
    2. Hagi

Gives context to Tshabalalas effort, also references the team move. 2-1.5

Number two is Tshabalala. The passes leading up to launch the attack are so incisive and satisfying - and I love how you can see Tshabalaba start to move as soon as Mexico's move breaks down. It's a very satisfying move to watch. Then he kind of dawdles with his first touch, but makes up for it when he unexpectedly absolutely leathers it into the net - putting his whole body into it, getting completely off the ground. It's one of those goals where you feel instinctively that it's going to be a goal - then it looks like it's not going to be a goal - then there's a goal again: and what a goal! It's a better goal that what people are giving it credit for. It's a goal I can watch multiple times, there's a lot of elements to it.

Hagi's is great. Fantastic vision and ability. But I prefer the other two.

I'm awarding a point to Hagi here.... but awarding 1.5 to Tshaba because that's poetry

3.5 - 2.5
    Reberetta wrote: »
    1.Rodriguez
    2.Hagi
    3. Tshabalala

No change

3.5 - 2.5
    beakerjoe wrote: »

Tshabalala is a great one touch counter attack, love team goals like this. Hagis is a bit of audacious genius but the SA man wins it for me.

Clear preference for the RSA effort. 4.5- 2.5
    1. Rodriguez
    2. Hagi
    3. Tshabalala

N/A
    Zaph wrote: »
    Tshabalala
    Hagi
    Rodriguez

And that's it. Siphiwe Tshabalala progresses.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    And that's it. Siphiwe Tshabalala progresses.
    BeneficialHideousCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Right, one more group for the road ladies and gents, hold tight.

Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands vs Argentina, 1998)

VS

Maxi Rodriguez (Argentina vs Mexico, 2006)

VS

Diego Maradona (Argentina vs England, 1986)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Easy choice for me here.

Bergkamp - the pass, the control, the finish. Absolutely perfect.

Rodriguez - next best option

Maradona - sure, it's against England but it isn't really a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1. Bergkamp
    2. Maxi
    3. Yeah, who nominated this crap.

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Easy choice for me here.

Bergkamp - the pass, the control, the finish. Absolutely perfect.

Rodriguez - next best option

Maradona - sure, it's against England but it isn't really a goal.
    Exactly what he said ^

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah the Hand of God one is kind of cheating! I don't think it deserves a vote in a Greatest World Cup vote.

So that brings it down to Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp Dennis Bergkamp (which was another of my nominations) and Maxi Rodriguez (which I'd forgotten about but is a glorious goal)

Bergkamp's first touch is better - Rodriguez was given acres of space.

But then Rodriguez' finish is stunning. And yet Bergkamp had that lovely little flick to set himself up.

I'd score this a draw if I could - but I'll stick with my nomination and go for Bergkamp over Maxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

No competition!

1. Dennis - the pass. The control. The flick over one of the greatest defenders. The finish. All World class!

2. Maxi - left foot beut from a right footer

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Oh it's a tough one..I think if Maxi"s had been a crossbar-and-in job it would edge it ..as it is though Bergkamp's 3 perfect touches get my vote. The other is meh.

1.Denis
    2 Maxi
    3.Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 85,313 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. Dennis Bergkamp
    2. Maxi
    3. Diego

Bergkamp is the winner here, it's not even close. I love how effortless he makes all of it look. The pass by De Boer is amazing. Bergkamp's control to instantly kill the ball dead after it's travelled approximately a million yards onto his foot, christ, could you imagine being that good? The through the leg swiftness before the defender has even realised what has happened, the poor bastard, and then that sweet, sweet finish with the outside of the boot - all in one fluid movement before anyone else has even got going. The pathos of the goalie with his hand still left in the air, after it's already done, adds to it for me as well - victim of some next level football genius, stunned into loss of motor function. And the commentary. What a goal.

Maxi Rodriguez is a beauty of a strike. The chest control is immaculate and then the power and the parabolic arc of the finish.

The Hand of God is a disgrace. Just pure cheating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Bergkamp's is the best World Cup goal of all time. The commentary. The pass. The touch. Roberto Ayala made to look like a fool. A quarter final. Late.

Maxi's is great. Remember seeing that fly in, wonderful strike to seal a knockout game.

Maradona's is iconic but nah. Still cheating.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rodriguez
    Bergkamp

Maradona

Bergkamp 29
    Rodriguez 21

Maradona 9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Reberetta wrote: »
    1. Bergkamp
    2. Maxi
    3. Yeah, who nominated this crap.

That'd be me :). Not because it was England, I'm not one of those anti-English armchair fans (but don't shout for them either.) Just for the pure audacity of it, the fact that he out-jumped Shilton, and the perfection of the cheating

That said, Bergkamp has to go first, and as I nominated it, Maradona second

• Advertisement

It is an iconic goal in World Cup history, I can see why it was included just for those reasons - and, to be fair, his dribble through the centre of the English team before he lays the ball off is pretty amazing. But I couldn't approve of it really.

Fair dues for (a) admitting you nominated it and (b) giving a plausible reason for it though!

And also for not voting for it :)

And that marks the halfway point of the group stage folks. Join us again tomorrow for some more action and reaction. Great commentary tonight from you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

"Omackeral wrote:
    Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands vs Argentina, 1998)

VS

Maxi Rodriguez (Argentina vs Mexico, 2006)

VS

Diego Maradona (Argentina vs England, 1986)

Shoite I missed this.

Bergkamp's goal is the best World cup goal for me. It's just sensational. Hasn't gotten old everytime I've watched it which must be in the many many hundreds at this point in 22years since that day I saw it live and nearly hit the ceiling jumping off the arm chair. That it happened so late in the game just added to it all.

Then maxi, then Maradona.

There's 5 standout (non-ireland) goals at a WC for me. Bergkamp (above), Cambiasso v Serbia 2006, d'other Maradona one, the Maradona one against Greece 1994, where he's off his chops and Van Persie's header v Spain 2014.

There's a clear Argie-Dutch love there alright.

We are gonna have some afternoon kickoffs within the next few minutes folks so get your thinking caps on...

There's 5 standout (non-ireland) goals at a WC for me. Bergkamp (above), Cambiasso v Serbia 2006, d'other Maradona one, the Maradona one against Greece 1994, where he's off his chops and Van Persie's header v Spain 2014.

Stay tuned so...

Estaban Cambiaso (Argentina vs Serbia, 2006)

VS

Edmilson (Brazil vs Costa Rica, 2002)

VS

Mario Gotze (Germany vs Argentina, 2014)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Gotze - the significance of the goal mainly in comparison to the other two in this group

Cambiasso - fabulous build up and that back heel is outrageous

Edmilson - great tekkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Cambiasso - amazing goal and build up. Hadnt seen anything like it at a World Cup before that. The tension that must have built.

Edmilson - Love an overhead - bit of flair

Gotze - not pushed, context of the goal is better than the goal itself.

• Advertisement

That Edmilson goal is one of my favourites. Pure Brazil, down to the fact that he's the bloody centre-half.

Cambiaso second, because it reminds me of one of my favourite UCD games

Then Götze third. Worth a nomination, but not on the level of the other two.

Advertisement