Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,782 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

1. Baggio - just unreal body control for that little dummy to open space, and immaculate hair.
    3. Pavard - love the way he slices it on contact, putting that wicked bend on it.
    2. Van Bronckhorst - shame to have this at 3, as I really like it, beaut of a strike, proper thunderbastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A tough match up.

Pavard would get my number one. It's just about as sweet a strike of a football as you can imagine and his technique to hit it as he comes across it is beautiful.

Baggio would be number two. The one-two in the build up is nice and his close control to beat the first defender. Admittedly the defending from the second guy isn't great. He doesn't do much to stop Baggio in any way, but I like to think that had as much to do with Baggio's skill as bad defending. And the finsh is nice - he just lets the space open up in front of him and slots it away.

Van Bronkhorst is a close third. Fantastic long range effort. He gets insane power on it and it goes in off the post, which is always nice, but it's a bit of a hit and hoper. Whereas something like Pavard's was way more deliberate and controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

5 minutes remain

Pavard 17
    Baggio 16

Van Bronckhorst 8

Personally thought Gio's was a banger but can't disagree with it making way for the other two. Next trio is coming up in a moment.

• Advertisement

Dario Rodriguez (Uruguay vs Denmark, 2002)

VS

Gheorghe Hagi (Romania vs Colombia, 1994)

VS

Siphiwe Tshabalala (South Africa vs Mexico, 2010)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rodriguez
    Hadgi
    Tishabanana

Couldn't watch that last one with those awful Vuvuzuelas....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

1. RSA one. Another classy counter attack
    2. Hagi. Packie would have saved it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Rodriguez is my nomination, so gets my top vote. Utterly superb goal; the ball doesn't hit the ground from the corner.

That Hagi goal was about 1am Irish time if memory serves. I think I fell asleep at half-time, but it was a decent game. You know Hagi meant exactly what he pulled off too; no question of it being a cross or a fluke.

Tshabalala is a nice move, but nothing special, so third choice here.

cdeb wrote: »

Tshabalala is a nice move, but nothing special, so third choice here.

Suppose could be argued that it's the opening goal of the opening game of the first ever African World Cup and it's scored by a home town boy in front of a packed house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Rodi, the assist made it look class, great goal.
    Hadgi, loved that wc, the late night games, bit like this tournament.
    Balala...pretty generic, see them every weekend

Omackeral wrote: »
    Suppose could be argued that it's the opening goal of the opening game of the first ever African World Cup and it's scored by a home town boy in front of a packed house.
    Well true, but by the same logic I'd vote Keane above Krankl because it was a 90th minute winner against the ultimate finali...oh, wait... :p

It had its emotive context, sure, but I'm voting on the goal rather than the occasion.

Also, I love that Rodriguez goal. I'll not be voting for anything over it in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

That's part of my argument, and why I nominated it. But it's also a brilliant move and finish

1. Tshabalala
    2. Hagi
    3. Rodriguez, luck :p

Also, I love that Rodriguez goal. I'll not be voting for anything over it in this.

Very first goal that came into my mind when I conceived the idea of the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Dario Rodriguez would be my number one pick there. Come on, that's an outrageous goal. The juggling of the ball from the other guy prior to him flicking it perfectly over so it can be hit straight on the volley and then for it to fly straight into the top corner - all from outside the box. You'd expect that in training. with no pressure, but in a real life World Cup match - sheeeeeeet

Number two is Tshabalala. The passes leading up to launch the attack are so incisive and satisfying - and I love how you can see Tshabalaba start to move as soon as Mexico's move breaks down. It's a very satisfying move to watch. Then he kind of dawdles with his first touch, but makes up for it when he unexpectedly absolutely leathers it into the net - putting his whole body into it, getting completely off the ground. It's one of those goals where you feel instinctively that it's going to be a goal - then it looks like it's not going to be a goal - then there's a goal again: and what a goal! It's a better goal that what people are giving it credit for. It's a goal I can watch multiple times, there's a lot of elements to it.

Hagi's is great. Fantastic vision and ability. But I prefer the other two.

10 minutes to go in this group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1.Rodriguez
    2.Hagi
    3. Tshabalala

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Tshabalala for me.

Its a close call between him and Hagi.

Rodriguez, is a cracking strike but its a hit and hope job.

Tshabalala is a great one touch counter attack, love team goals like this. Hagis is a bit of audacious genius but the SA man wins it for me.

Hi Omack.

The tragedy of course is that Dario R had his right leg amputated a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The tragedy of course is that Dario R had his right leg amputated a few years ago.

How so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

1. Rodriguez
    2. Hagi
    3. Tshabalala

beakerjoe wrote: »
    How so.

Car crash
    4 years after that goal I think

That was Dario Silva, not Dario Rodriguez

Was in the same squad

That was Dario Silva, not Dario Rodriguez

Was in the same squad

Oh!!!
    Poor Dario Silva

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Tshabalala
    Hagi
    Rodriguez

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hi Omack.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,782 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

1. Rodriguez - Once I realised the ball never touches the ground from the corner to when it's in the back of the net, this had to be the winner for me. Unreal build up with a few keepy-uppy's before a smashing strike.

2. Tshabalala - Very nice team goal, nicely weighted through-ball, and cool calm finish. As the host nation, their first goal and the first of the tournament carries a little extra significance too, when there'd been worries they'd just be swept aside.

3. Hagi - did he mean it? Not so sure...

Rodriguez 22
    Hagi 19
    Tshabalala 19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Hagi 19
    Tshabalala 19
    Oooooooohhhhhhh.......!

• Advertisement

The defender wasn’t playing heads and volleys for Uruguay lads!!

Advertisement