Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aoibheann Ni Shuilleabhain Harassment Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Zarco wrote: »
    I'd say the ratio would be like 100 to 1 female to male

Will ya stop with that nonsense.
    One in five women reported experiencing sexual harassment in their workplace, compared to just 12pc of men.

https://www.independent.ie/business/in-the-workplace/revealed-one-in-five-women-is-harassed-in-workplace-37614713.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

The sole purpose of HR is to protect the company. Anything to do with employee welfare is merely incidental.

The two are far from mutually exclusive. Ignoring employee welfare can lead to the labour court, industrial action, extended sick leave, etc. etc. That is before even getting to productivity. How effectively any HR dept performs its role is another matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Wombatman wrote: »

I meant the incidences of harassment

Sorry should have made that clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Reading this thread you would think the problem is exclusively a 'women's issue'.
    Why? Nobody is implying that. This thread is about a woman being harassed. Discussion of this and the situation in general for other women is not a lack of acknowledgement that men can get harassed also.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Reading this thread you would think the problem is exclusively a 'women's issue'.

There is always going to be a difference between a man stalking a woman and a woman stalking a man.

If I worked in UCD and some female lecturer kept making unwanted advances, following me around and generally being a creep, I would find it annoying and I would potentially report it but I would not feel any fear because she is highly unlikely/incapable of doing me any physical harm.

If I was a women working in UCD and some weirdo knew my car/where I lived etc. I would be terrified. IMO its not just some kind of nuisance behaviour - its psychological abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

-10 points. You can't use the same joke twice in the one thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114542296&postcount=50

Well policed.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why didn’t Tubridy give your’ man a good beating??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Why didn’t Tubridy give your’ man a good beating??

Been thinking that myself.

Lightweight altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

Why would Tubridy have gone to beat up his ex girlfriend's stalker? They were broken up before any of this started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I don't particularly like Ryan Tubridy as a broadcaster much of the time but what's the bad mouthing him here for?

• Advertisement

I don't particularly like Ryan Tubridy as a broadcaster much of the time but what's the bad mouthing him here for?

It's an excuse to badmouth him, isn't it? (I'm not a fan of his either btw)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Tork wrote: »
    Why would Tubridy have gone to beat up his ex girlfriend's stalker? They were broken up before any of this started.

We are ripping the piss in all fairness.

I doubt he would be jeopardising his RTE pension by heading over across the N11 for a straightener.... all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Anyone who has worked at UCD and dealt with their absolutely farcical HR department will be completely unsurprised by this story. A greater bastion of hole-scratching indifference you'll never find. It's actually pretty difficult to decipher what they even do. This story answers the question emphatically: nothing. Another arm of the bloated bureaucracy of that institution.

For the record: I did my PhD there, and worked as a visiting assistant professor. In so very many ways out was the worst place I worked in my academic career. But this story is a step beyond anything I witnessed by far.

Why didn't tubridy deal with this at the outset

Man to man and put a stop to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why didn't tubridy deal with this at the outset

Man to man and put a stop to it?

Not sure her husband would have been okay with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    We are ripping the piss in all fairness.

I doubt he would be jeopardising his RTE pension by heading over across the N11 for a straightener.... all things considered.

He doesn't have an RTE pension cos he isn't RTE staff - he doesn't actually work for RTE ...he has a pension (assume he has one) from his own company.

his salary however....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's not much of a penalty for harrassing someone for two years.

He has to stay away from her for 5 years and then he's free to make contact again? :confused::confused::confused:

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's not much of a penalty for harrassing someone for two years.

He has to stay away from her for 5 years and then he's free to make contact again? :confused::confused::confused:

In 5 yrs time he will prob have forgotten about her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

In 5 yrs time he will prob have forgotten about her

Doubtful. The whole country knows what he done now and will haunt him for at least the rest of his career. She was very brave to speak up.

Doubtful. The whole country knows what he done now and will haunt him for at least the rest of his career. She was very brave to speak up.

Sometimes when I see celebs claiming harrassment, mental health issues etc. I'm very sceptical but looking at what she went through, I've a lot of respect for her now.

Hopefully it does haunt him for the rest of his career.

Shocking that UCD didn't seem to get the finger out and sort it out pronto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Sometimes when I see celebs claiming harrassment, mental health issues etc. I'm very sceptical but looking at what she went through, I've a lot of respect for her now.

Hopefully it does haunt him for the rest of his career.

Shocking that UCD didn't seem to get the finger out and sort it out pronto.

I made a similar point earlier. There are just so many these Z list trash celebs that would sell their fooking mother for the limelight..

Aoibheann is not remotely like this..She’s a well educated lady.

walshb wrote: »
    I made a similar point earlier. There are just so many these Z list trash celebs that would sell their fooking mother for the limelight..

Aoibheann is not remotely like this..She’s a well educated lady.

And neither are you Walshb

Trashy ? Never

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Unfortunately for Aoibheann, being an ex of Tubs will hang around her like a UCD professor for a long time....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

smurgen wrote: »
    Didn't realize that. He's still currently linked as professor on LinkedIn.

Linkedin Profile is gone.

Linkedin Profile is gone.

He's ruined. Time to move abroad to a country where they're not too fussed about harassment of women.

He's ruined. Time to move abroad to a country where they're not too fussed about harassment of women.

T'will be hard for him to stay around here for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Carefully note that Aoibheann only got an apology from the President of UCD *after* the Irish Times write-up.

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Carefully note that Aoibheann only got an apology from the President of UCD *after* the Irish Times write-up.

That's a sickener doubly

1. For him to apologize after it went public

2. And for him to announce the apology before contacting her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

He will get work again but maybe not in Europe. Or he could working for private industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

That's a sickener doubly

1. For him to apologize after it went public

2. And for him to announce the apology before contacting her

It is revealing of their priorities: he's only apologising as PR damage limitation, so it makes perfect sense that the first port of call is the media and the actual person who is owed an apology comes considerably later.

That, in fact, is UCD in a nutshell. Earlier this year I was on LinkedIn and saw UCD were touting the fact that they had returned to the top 100 in the works University rankings. Those rankings are an absolute cod that privilege nonsense like branding over academic integrity, reward high profile PR accomplishments over consistent research support, and directly fuel administrative bloating while front line teaching is gutted. Which I mentioned in reply. Within minutes I had an army of people with absurd titles like vice assistant provost for student life, and academic director of embiggening research development, all having a look at my profile. Plenty of time on their hands.

My point being these kinds of vultures are everywhere in UCD, and their intentions have nothing to do with protecting professors and ensuring their position is valued, and everything to do with advancing the University as a brand. This story is the logical conclusion of how business is done at UCD.

Advertisement