Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aoibheann Ni Shuilleabhain Harassment Story

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The other issue here:

The victim here is someone who is famous, who is successful, is confident, well educated, has a strong network of friends and family.

And yet UCD did so little to protect her.

What happens when the victim is not famous, is not any of the above.....if its someone on the cleaning staff, or in the canteen...how many of these cases, at various colleges, have we not heard about.....

I asked this early on in the thread too.

I cannot for the life of figure out how the UCD bosses didn't just look at this in terms of optics - helping Ni Shuilleabhain makes it go away. Not helping leads to problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    They tend to not get caught either. Most contrived stalking behaviours carried out by a criminal mind would exhibit much more lucid cohesion, he would never had ended up in court in all likelihood. She may still be getting harassed.

I don't think he was a criminal, at his intelligence level he would unlikely have been caught.

Or years of getting away with lead to arrogance. Can you imagine if he did this to a junior academic or post grad in his own department? Can't imagine a student would be so quick to report if it was the case of their thesis supervisor or department head or the guy who's head of the research team she's on.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

The FNG wrote: »
    Maybe the guy has severe austism?

Mod: I'm not quite sure how we arrived at *this* point. But can we please get back on the topic of the thread at hand. Let's leave forming a psych evaluation to the professionals.

(will be cleaning up some of the previous irrelevant posts)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How come when your man acts the weirdo he is castigated and shamed.

But when a fat girl does it and sings a song about it, she wins a load of awards and makes millions
    I hate to turn up out of the blue, uninvited
    But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it
    I had hoped you'd see my face
    And that you'd be reminded that for me, it isn't over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

How come when your man acts the weirdo he is castigated and shamed.

But when a fat girl does it and sings a song about it, she wins a load of awards and makes millions

Its hard to know where to start with this.

"some fat bird" - is an extremely derogatory way to refer to someone. But I think thats just you looking for a rise by being offensive.

There is a huge difference between an established relationship breaking up and workplace harassment.

Theres also a huge difference between someone singing about something and whether or not the incident actually happened. Adele has stated that the song is about a daydream and not a real event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,073 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

hayoc wrote: »
    Its hard to know where to start with this.

"some fat bird" - is an extremely derogatory way to refer to someone. But I think thats just you looking for a rise by being offensive.

There is a huge difference between an established relationship breaking up and workplace harassment.

Theres also a huge difference between someone singing about something and whether or not the incident actually happened. Adele has stated that the song is about a daydream and not a real event.

Bit mad isn't it.

You get offended at me referring to a girl as fat yet you don't mind me referring to your man as a weirdo. Especially given that the former is verifiable and the latter is not as it is subjective.

And then you can justify a song as being about a real relationship even though you say it was based on a dream and not real and has not proof of any sort of prior history - only what is apparently in the singers head

The point went over your head anyway. If the music video was of your man in the hotel lobby with his bunch of flowers singing those lines, you wouldn't be justifying it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The other issue here:

The victim here is someone who is famous, who is successful, is confident, well educated, has a strong network of friends and family.

And yet UCD did so little to protect her.

What happens when the victim is not famous, is not any of the above.....if its someone on the cleaning staff, or in the canteen...how many of these cases, at various colleges, have we not heard about.....

Bit late to this thread but this kind of thing is rife in Irish universities.
    The professors are gods and cannot be touched. They are often angry gods for whatever reason. They like to show their power.

Most HR people are utterly useless too. The colleges are full to the brim with employee grievances as will many public sector entities. It's all about entitlement but that's a different topic I guess. My point is that HR are useless and afraid to rock the boat.

Fair play to Aoibheann, she did very well to expose this creep. She will probably be shunned for it in academic circles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

HR in the Public Sector must be a very difficult place to work due to the power of the unions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

BattleCorp wrote: »
    HR in the Public Sector must be a very difficult place to work due to the power of the unions.

Yes this is true. But they also have to deal with employees who are literally obsessed about their perceived entitlements. They are always watching each other to see what special treatment is being given. Grade promotions are an absolute minefield. The HR managers tend to be failed functional managers who cross-trained into HR. They are afraid to say boo which is why the public sector waste so much time and energy on grievance processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

So where's the sexual part in this harassment story
    I don't see it and the court didn't rule there was either ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Fair play to Aoibheann, she did very well to expose this creep. She will probably be shunned for it in academic circles though.
    I doubt it, beyond a few close friends of his. If he had friends.

Advertisement