Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Same as gussieg for me. I refresh the page a few times and it works.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you try and connect to the page from your phone you'll be directed to the ap. You can't stream from the browser from your phone, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Funnily enough it is allowing me to watch in a browser on my phone. Also its saying the play store when I try to download the app that 'your device is not compatible with this version'. The help section of the RTE website says you need Android 5.0 which I guess I dont have

edit just checked my Android version and its 8.1.0 so not sure why its not letting me download it from the app store, oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone on 48 found that the RTE player is blocked when tethering? Have tried opening it on a laptop but all I get is a black page.

I just tried it and I had no problem playing Vikings in Firefox on a Mac laptop, tethered to an old Samsung S6 Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers, its obviously not the 48 network anyway that is stopping me playing it on a laptop. Im putting it down to the RTE Player being crap as Ive no problems playing Youtube, Netflix, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

Anyone know if 48 has weaker data than 3 / Virgin Mobile etc. On 48, my iPhone shows LTE for data whereas Three always showed 4G

• Registered Users Posts: 19,918 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

jdon72 wrote: »
    Anyone know if 48 has weaker data than 3 / Virgin Mobile etc. On 48, my iPhone shows LTE for data whereas Three always showed 4G

Always shows 4g on my S6 - rural Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭DopeTech

My speeds/signal strength are always the same on 48 and 3. (Dual sim phone)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have they reduced the price to 7.00 or is this a typo?

539136.jpg

Anyone have any idea what price this could go up to after February 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

Anyone have any idea what price this could go up to after February 1st?

Probably 12 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭briancannon18

bassy wrote: »
    Probably 12 euro

Once you take out 7.99 membership before 1st February, u keep that price, until u leave 48

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭amacca

Can anyone tell me if the kind of payg deals that used to exist do anymore

What I mean is my mum (elderly and low usage)used to be with s provider that required you to only top up once every 6 months.....

If you purchased a tenner credit and inputted it and then made very few calls you still could use the phone as long as you had credit .....theoretically you could have the phone for as little as 20euro a year (low usage obviously)

She changed to Vodafone recently and it requires a minimum 20euros a month...if you don't use the credit up you still have to top up by 20 every month to use the phone

Which kind of wasn't what she understood pay as you go to be.......she's upset because as she said to me that's minimum 240 a year

Is there no way out of this? Is the cheapest you will get that 48 deal at 7.99 a month? Or is thete still a PAYG deal like they used to be with no minimum top up every month and a much longer term before you have to top up?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

Have they reduced the price to 7.00 or is this a typo?

they told me 7 and took 7.99 so it's a bad typo imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭lordsheepface

amacca wrote: »

What I mean is my mum (elderly and low usage)used to be with s provider that required you to only top up once every 6 months.....

If you purchased a tenner credit and inputted it and then made very few calls you still could use the phone as long as you had credit .....theoretically you could have the phone for as little as 20euro a year (low usage obviously)

She changed to Vodafone recently and it requires a minimum 20euros a month...if you don't use the credit up you still have to top up by 20 every month to use the phone

Which kind of wasn't what she understood pay as you go to be.......she's upset because as she said to me that's minimum 240 a year

Is there no way out of this? Is the cheapest you will get that 48 deal at 7.99 a month? Or is thete still a PAYG deal like they used to be with no minimum top up every month and a much longer term before you have to top up?

most still operate like this. they just push the offers.

take vodafone for example
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

my understanding is that if you topup by less than the 20 euro you will simply pay these prices:
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans/charges.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

The same rules as before still apply to PAYG. The drawback with PAYG is the out of plan rates are a bit steep compared to plans with unlimited calls and texts.

With Vodafone, a top up of 5euro will suffice for 6 months. It really only suits very low usage but it's a good option if sending just a few SMS and a few short calls.

Most of the providers charge at least 30 cent per minute out of plan.

Where did she get the impression that it needed 20e every month?

Once you take out 7.99 membership before 1st February, u keep that price, until u leave 48

I meant for new people joining after the offer

I meant for new people joining after the offer

around 12.00 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Anyone not receiving verification texts from their bank? I am not getting the KBC texts anymore, 48 customer service are refusing to help and KBC are saying its 48.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

I've had a look over the past few pages, and haven't see it discussed yet.

I ported to 48 about 3 or 4 months ago, from Vodafone. No problems. A few of my family ported from Three and Tesco, and again, no problems.

Now, this isn't a roblem, but today, my wife ported from Vodafone today, and in purchasing membership, this new contract came up. It states that the max download speed is 10mb, the same as Vodafone, so she's no worse off, but anyone else that has changed to 48 didn't get that, and can get speeds well in excess of 10mb.

Is it something new, or is she just unlucky?

0Sj0bTw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I ported to 48 about 3 or 4 months ago, from Vodafone. No problems. A few of my family ported from Three and Tesco, and again, no problems.

Now, this isn't a roblem, but today, my wife ported from Vodafone today, and in purchasing membership, this new contract came up. It states that the max download speed is 10mb, the same as Vodafone, so she's no worse off, but anyone else that has changed to 48 didn't get that, and can get speeds well in excess of 10mb.

Just a new regulatory requirement as a result of a new EU telecoms directive when you take out a new contract (billpay or PAYG). This has no bearing on the speeds that she will actually experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭SteM

This might have been asked before but can you have multiple sims on the one account? I'd like to get one for myself and one for my son but pay for both of them using the one account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭DopeTech

SteM wrote: »
    This might have been asked before but can you have multiple sims on the one account? I'd like to get one for myself and one for my son but pay for both of them using the one account.

Every number needs to be set up with a different email but same payment card can be used on multiple accounts. If you have a Gmail account add a . anywhere before the @ and they will deliver to you.

Example you could set up 2 account johndoe@gmail.com and John.doe@gmail.com or even johnd.oe@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Anyone not receiving verification texts from their bank? I am not getting the KBC texts anymore, 48 customer service are refusing to help and KBC are saying its 48.

aib auth. texts come on second resend never on first, no problems any where else paypal etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 44 longcock

How long can I not buy a membership before I lose the 7.99 deal. I think I read somewhere 4 months?

longcock wrote: »
    How long can I not buy a membership before I lose the 7.99 deal. I think I read somewhere 4 months?

6 mths

0Sj0bTw.jpg

When it says that if you don’t reach those speeds for 5 consecutive days to contact them, does that mean you can complain if you can’t get 10Mb/s on 4G?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

When it says that if you don’t reach those speeds for 5 consecutive days to contact them, does that mean you can complain if you can’t get 10Mb/s on 4G?

It quotes an 'estimated maximum' speed but no minimum so it's practically pointless that they list those details. The minimum speed is what actually matters.

AFAIK Three are the only network with a guaranteed minimum speed and that only applies to fixed wireless
    https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds.html

From 48 Terms...
    Non-Contractual Speed

The average maximum download speed achieved by 48 customers on our 4G network over any 24 hour period is 21.6Mbps. For the avoidance of doubt, only the Contractual Estimated Maximum Upload and Download Speeds form part of the terms of your agreement with 48. The Non-Contractual Speed outlined above is indicative and does not form part of the terms or conditions of your agreement.

https://48.ie/legal/terms-and-conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

How do I call numbers in NI and Britain. Do I just call through and it's charged to my card or do I prepay in some way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

gooner99 wrote: »
    How do I call numbers in NI and Britain. Do I just call through and it's charged to my card or do I prepay in some way?

Before doing that compare the prices to third party apps such as Viber and Skype that use VOIP over your 4g/wifi connection. Might be cheaper.

Advertisement