Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

COVID wrote: »
    You're right, they don't do it in the French league.

Some Russians don't take the knee for their own cultural reasons, from RUSSIA BEYOND: Americans and Russians understand and interpret the kneeling gesture in different ways.

While stateside, taking a knee currently represents a protest against racial discrimination, most Russians do not see it as such.

Instead, Russians generally interpret taking a knee as a sign of submission. The historic roots of this uncompromising position might go back to the 13th and 14th centuries when Russian land was dominated by the Mongol Empire and the Golden Horde.

When Mongol ruler and founder of the Golden Horde Batu Khan invaded Kievan Rus’ in 1237-1242, Russian princes became politically dependent at the Khan’s will.

Back then, it was customary for Russian princes to travel to bow to the great khan, their practical vassal. And sometimes, the Russian princes were forced to kneel before their foreign vassal. In a way, taking a knee before the khan was akin to a medieval tradition of homage, a ceremony when a vassal pledges his allegiance, reverence, and submission to his feudal lord.

Hold on, wow! Countries have their own culture and don't have to follow a social agenda set by the United States?

COVID wrote: »
    You're right, they don't do it in the French league.

Some Russians don't take the knee for their own cultural reasons, from RUSSIA BEYOND: Americans and Russians understand and interpret the kneeling gesture in different ways.

While stateside, taking a knee currently represents a protest against racial discrimination, most Russians do not see it as such.

Instead, Russians generally interpret taking a knee as a sign of submission. The historic roots of this uncompromising position might go back to the 13th and 14th centuries when Russian land was dominated by the Mongol Empire and the Golden Horde.

When Mongol ruler and founder of the Golden Horde Batu Khan invaded Kievan Rus’ in 1237-1242, Russian princes became politically dependent at the Khan’s will.

Back then, it was customary for Russian princes to travel to bow to the great khan, their practical vassal. And sometimes, the Russian princes were forced to kneel before their foreign vassal. In a way, taking a knee before the khan was akin to a medieval tradition of homage, a ceremony when a vassal pledges his allegiance, reverence, and submission to his feudal lord.

Taking the knee in both cases is an act of submission. It is to show that they need protection

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Eh... you're just as bad - you're dareshaming they, people in glass houses shouldn't throw anything-hard-that-are-not-stones!
    Eh, I wasn't being serious. It's all a load of rubbish!

Surely if it has gotten to the point that you'll be ostracised for not doing this it loses all meaning?

How are we to know if people are kneeling out of genuine support or just to save themselves hassle?

Not a fan of compelled performative gestures like this anyway. Why is simply stating your support for their cause not enough? Why do you have to get down on your knees in order to show solidarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Professional or not, I wouldn't be taking a knee for anything. I bow to no-one. Or something like that. Fair play to the team that didn't though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

ingalway wrote: »
    Coming to a woke shop near you sometime soon:
    https://twitter.com/Unbridl09298089/status/1321718539783471105?s=09

I do sometimes wonder if stuff like this is real or is somebody just trying to cause a stir on social media?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Historically daft cult ideas were self-contained. They never seeped out from the group to spread amongst the rest of the population.

But with social media and smartphones, daft cult ideas can promulgate unchecked - just like a pandemic actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

I do sometimes wonder if stuff like this is real or is somebody just trying to cause a stir on social media?

I sometimes wonder about the people who regularly pop up and question whether this stuff is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's not ok for white people to voice black cartoon characters. That's racist and insensitive.
    But it's fine for a black actress to play real person Tudor queen Anne Boleyn, that's not a problem.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/global/jodie-turner-smith-anne-boleyn-channel-5-series-1234819548/

jodie-turner-smith-has-been-cast-as-anne-boleyn-a-2-77-1604088107-17-dblbig.jpg

biko wrote: »
    It's not ok for white people to voice black cartoon characters. That's racist and insensitive.
    But it's fine for a black actress to play real person Tudor queen Anne Boleyn, that's not a problem.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/global/jodie-turner-smith-anne-boleyn-channel-5-series-1234819548/

jodie-turner-smith-has-been-cast-as-anne-boleyn-a-2-77-1604088107-17-dblbig.jpg

Two issues here:

1. She is an actress of colour, not a black actress.
    2. Actress is an outdated sexist term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Justin Trudeau commenting on the aftermath of the beheading of a French teacher who displayed cartoons of Mohammed.
    In a pluralistic, diverse and respectful society like ours, we must be aware of the impact of our words, of our actions on others, particularly these communities and populations who still experience enormous discrimination

Justin Trudeau is a twat. There's very few people I have less respect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Justin Trudeau is a twat. There's very few people I have less respect for.
    TOTALLY AGREE!

Oh. My. Gawd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

TOTALLY AGREE!

Oh. My. Gawd.

Hahahaha. An @rsehole of the highest order. He “mansplained” utter sh1te to her, in contravention of all of his natural delusional impulses. He was only short of doing it in blackface - another of his proclivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Woke (/ˈwoʊk/ WOHK) is a political term originating in the United States referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice. It derives from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.

For further explanation see "The.Man.In.The.Whitehouse."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Two issues here:

Oh please

When PC eats itself.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/shock-and-disbelief-after-galway-comedians-facebook-page-deleted-for-hate-speech/
    Screenshot-2.png
    I am in no way condoning FB removing this guy's content. That's the thing, with free speech they shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Two issues here:

The terms “coloured actress” “coloured person” sounds so racist in hindsight. The “of colour” grammar change really made a massive inclusive difference, I don’t break down in remorse and shame as much for the crimes of my honkey racist far right ancestors when I hear “of colour” instead “coloured”, massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Biker79 wrote: »
    Historically daft cult ideas were self-contained. They never seeped out from the group to spread amongst the rest of the population.

But with social media and smartphones, daft cult ideas can promulgate unchecked - just like a pandemic actually.
    I think a lot of this nonsene is being orchestrated and put out to target people on a large scale.
    They will be teaching this BS in schools soon, wait and see. They probably already are in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

In France they're almost doing the opposite of this, but in the name of feminism. Last year, the Academie (the boyos officially in charge of the use of the French language) allowed feminised versions of occupations to be used, even though they had been used informally for years.

Academie embraces the feminisation of job titles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Paddygreen wrote: »
    The terms “coloured actress” “coloured person” sounds so racist in hindsight. The “of colour” grammar change really made a massive inclusive difference, I don’t break down in remorse and shame as much for the crimes of my honkey racist far right ancestors when I hear “of colour” instead “coloured”, massive difference.

Lefty types popularize phrases like "...to be tolerant of...to show tolerance..we're a tolerant country". Years down the line the exact same people say when it becomes tired "what do you mean be tolerant...be tolerant of what, huh".

And so it will be with 'people of colour', in time it will be 'what do you mean people of colour as if that's all they are, a colour', unacceptable language to describe our fellow man, it's BAME now darling <sips on a class of prosecco>'.

I do find PoC to be one of the more ridiculous one's I've ever heard, to divide people between those who are of colour and those who arn't of colour.

When PC eats itself.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/shock-and-disbelief-after-galway-comedians-facebook-page-deleted-for-hate-speech/
    Screenshot-2.png
    I am in no way condoning FB removing this guy's content. That's the thing, with free speech they shouldn't.

To be honest that guy is beginning to really irk me. I like his farmer Michael impression but his constant attention-seeking on Twitter is cringeworthy. He's insufferable.

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Oh please

You missed the sarcasm. I though it was obvious when I used the term actress in point 1 myself. :)

In France they're almost doing the opposite of this, but in the name of feminism. Last year, the Academie (the boyos officially in charge of the use of the French language) allowed feminised versions of occupations to be used, even though they had been used informally for years.

Academie embraces the feminisation of job titles

Y, remember reading that, probably on the BBC site.

To be honest that guy is beginning to really irk me. I like his farmer Michael impression but his constant attention-seeking on Twitter is cringeworthy. He's insufferable.

Had never heard of him until last week (a thread on here), seems to be a bellend.

Had never heard of him until last week (a thread on here), seems to be a bellend.

The farmer Michael impression is generally very good but Steve himself has become absolutely insufferable. Seems to be quite a nasty piece of work himself when commentating on others opinions which he against, but, constantly bawling about his depression and looking for sympathy. He did have a lot of setbacks to be fair to him. He had a terrible road accident which left him wheelchair-bound and its great how he has overcome this but id always question people who take to Twitter to constantly whine. Kathleen is gone too his equally insufferable ex-girlfriend who used be in the videos with him. Even she got sick of him

Ive no sympathy for him being cancelled either. You cant look to cancel others opinions and then complain when it comes knocking on your door

I've only ever seen his youtube clips and tbh every one is laugh-out-loud funny, in my opinion.
    The ban he got must be some mistake but it goes to show anyone can be axed, not just hardcore extremists.
    If we don't support free speech for everyone then we don't support free speech - is that simple.

Paddygreen wrote: »

I find it rather stupid TBH. Being white isn't the absence of color (since i'm more pink than 'white'), nor are the variety of Asian skin types. So the coloured person, or person of colour, just reinforces how racist the people who push this terminology are.

I've only ever seen his youtube clips and tbh every one is laugh-out-loud funny, in my opinion.
    The ban he got must be some mistake but it goes to show anyone can be axed, not just hardcore extremists.
    If we don't support free speech for everyone then we don't support free speech - is that simple.

I like them too and i agree with you on free speech but farmer Michael himself is very choosy as to who should be entitled free speech and who shouldn't. Airing his dirty linen in public is pathetic the way he does too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I find it rather stupid TBH. Being white isn't the absence of color (since i'm more pink than 'white'), nor are the variety of Asian skin types. So the coloured person, or person of colour, just reinforces how racist the people who push this terminology are.

Incidently Steve Biko made a point of the pink thing in reference to the judge at his his trial, the judge being a particularily pink speciman of a white man if I remember Donald Woods telling of it. I was given Woods book as a child by an aunt who was an early version of a SJW I suppose.

Biko's story is something that always stuck with me and frankly informed my adult view of the world. It is a surprise to me after these many years that I am now a racist by any measure of these woke clowns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement