Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

And this in the context of part of our country still under British jurisdiction and anti-Irish jokes and jibes are still acceptable in the UK. A far cry from the BLM approach.

A part of our country where unionists have been the majority for longer than the USA has existed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For a lot of black it's not in the past though is it. Slavery is but racism is not. The vast majority of african americans are descended from slaves, imagine knowing your entire existence is thanks you an industry and mindset that saw your ancestors as little more than animals, that they were lucky to even survive the journey which they would have made in chains and then live a life in servitude, and we're not just talking about one or two, we're talking generations. I didn't see the documentary but I'd imagine the elephant tusk represents the rape and pillage of an entire continent and its people. Now imagine someone telling you "what's done is done, let's move on".

Nothing you've said is racist, I'll grant you that but it's deeply insensitive and (I'm going to get lambasted by the PC gone mad brigade for saying it) it's a perfect example of the white privilege. White people don't get to decide when black people should move on, just like the Brits don't get to the decide when Ireland moves on or anyone gets to decide when the Jewish people move on.

Nah, I completely disagree with you.

I get to decide when I can move on from something, so should you.

My Irish identity recognises its' history but the concept of self determination allows me to get on with my life now. I am allowed be respectful of our Fenian dead whilst not wallowing around Wolfe Tone statues every Easter. I have a life to be living, that is what their sacrifice was all about.

I love British people, they are my neighbours. I never lived in tenement housing on Gardner street, even though my forefathers did. That doesn't give me the right to wallow in their plight. In fact if anything it gives me the right to kick on and enjoy my life even more, it is short enough without wasting your time dwelling on a past which you did not even exist in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I watched the Samuel L Jackson slavery doc last night on BBC, the first two episodes. I sincerely found it really informative and learnt a lot of things about slavery that I had never learnt before, it was interesting and I will follow it.

However - ( here comes the borderline racist bit )

I felt the general tone of retribution and BLM was overbearing and too much. The most jaw dropping scenes were the group of predominantly African American divers they employed and filmed to investigate a sunken slave ship deep down in the ocean. They found an elephant tusk - stop laughing - and designed a dangerous deep sea dive to retrieve it whereupon the two most over-zealous activists began crying on the boat deck and hugging each other. It was very cringey. I mean there comes a time when contemporary humans should not be getting emotional about the plight of people 300 years ago, I am sorry but you simply were not there, so please phuck off with the faux emotions.

The usual health warnings apply, I am not a racist, but hearing the old fort museum creator in Ghana talking to Sam Jackson about the place and feeding his anger actually pissed me off. It is all well and good respecting and understanding your past. But getting vigilant and overzealous with retributive angst is nonsense. IMO what's done is done and what is won is won and what's lost is lost and gone forever. I cannot disagree with understanding your past, but finger pointing at the present is garbage imo.

In saying all that the documentary is well made and warrants a look, if only to have a giggle at the divers retrieving a 300 year old elephant tusk from the bottom of the ocean and declaring it a euphemistic symbol of the plight of African enslavement..... To be frank if I ever get kidnapped and sold to a foreign country, I would feel quite aggrieved if someone I never met or knew in 300 years time, gets a well know celebrity to pay them to deep sea dive to the bottom of the ocean and retrieve a phucking animal artifact and declare it a symbol of my existence.... and then start crying about it on live television.... please, please don't.

I think I'll pass on that. You gave a great impression of the show and I don't think I want to experience it again.

A google search shows that the UK's Guardian journalist Afua Hirsch https://twitter.com/afuahirsch is involved who seems to be the UK's official spokesperson on all things racism.

As I read your bit out them crying over the tusk I though what I always think which is that these people what something. And it didn't take long looking at Hirsch's twitter postings to find out what that is, predictably.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/09/british-slavery-reparations-economy-compensation

Afru Hirsch was born in Norway to a British farther and a Ghana mother, was privately educated in Wimbledon (posh) and got her degree in Oxford. That's the recipe for an all but white wokey sh*t-stirrer. She is no more African or has links to slavery than I have.

I do think we should treat elephants a bit better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

A part of our country where unionists have been the majority for longer than the USA has existed.

Due to systematic ethnic cleansing and (very) recent civil rights oppression. Still not out with the pitchforks. And we're getting better at cricket too.

Due to systematic ethnic cleansing and (very) recent civil rights oppression. Still not out with the pitchforks. And we're getting better at cricket too.

How many hundreds of years does one need to go back before you lose claim to a piece of land?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

TBF she, herself, previously advocated for the whole 'big is beautiful' malarkey, gained the attention from advocating it, and then went on to lose weight. basically she turned her back on the very movement she had previously championed.

She set herself up for the criticism.

Nah. She’s allowed to have a change of heart. And her weight was only a small facet of why she became so famous.

AllForIt wrote: »
    A google search shows that the UK's Guardian journalist Afua Hirsch https://twitter.com/afuahirsch is involved who seems to be the UK's official spokesperson on all things racism.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/09/british-slavery-reparations-economy-compensation

Afru Hirsch was born in Norway to a British farther and a Ghana mother, was privately educated in Wimbledon (posh) and got her degree in Oxford. That's the recipe for an all but white wokey sh*t-stirrer. She is no more African or has links to slavery than I have.

I do think we should treat elephants a bit better though.

I didn't know her name at the time off watching, but she is actually the babe showing Jackson around the fort in Ghana. She wound him up bigtime.

Agreed on the elephants. I also learnt that the largest density of Elephant habitation is in Gabon, which interestingly returned the likeliest area of Africa were Jackson's historical DNA profile was from. How touching.

I will put a knot in my hanky in case I shed any more tears.

Oh and the Scots were arriving well before the plantations.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

How many hundreds of years does one need to go back before you lose claim to a piece of land?

Well there's a significant majority there who don't want to live under British rule and don't consider themselves British.

Oh and the Scots were arriving well before the plantations.

The other ethnic Gaels you mean?

Anyway this is a tangent; the point is that Irish people aren't up in arms despite all the history between us and the British.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Afterthought: I've noticed an increasing number of British people (woman especially) identifying as African despite having been born in the UK. Of the ilk of Afua Hirsch. Last year I saw a black woman on the BBC's Question Time give a lil monologue talking about how 'slavery' should be taught in schools, in her strong Glaswegian accent. She went to say "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the slave trade". I don't think she meant that as an argument against slavery :) , but I can't help but wonder where she thought she would be if it wasn't for British colonialism. Nowhere would be my guess.

If people like them continue to be given a platform to spout their nonsense the blacks in Britain will soon be identifying as African-British in the same way African-Americans identify, and wouldn't that just be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Perhaps this little routine is relevant for this thread...

Apologies if it's already been shared.

https://youtu.be/O1xgXJ5_Q34?t=194

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I felt the general tone of retribution and BLM was overbearing and too much.

I saw a video on Facebook a few days ago by a native American. He pointed out that the "Buffalo Soldiers" were black soldiers in the US army who used to hunt and kill native Americans in their thousands, but whilst it was important to know your history, you shouldn't seek retribution for the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If I were allowed plant people and gerrymander them so that the majority was controlled, then I could have a majority anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

None. Plantations dont change what a country is.

We're closer now to returning to a united ireland than we have been since the home rule movement and 1914-21.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If I were allowed plant people and gerrymander them so that the majority was controlled, then I could have a majority anywhere.

So you are in favour of the annexation of the USA and return of all the land to american indians?

Also in favour of Zionism?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

rebel wilson is getting it at the moment for losing 80lbs

Which incidentally proves my mate reds was correct, when he nonchalantly stated "If she lost a few stone, she'd get it"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Until 74.2% of Starbucks employees are transgender or non binary and a minority, I'll never buy my soy latte there. It's imperative that an accurate representation of the demographics are displayed, in order for my soy to hit the spot.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1316415485005701120

Their coffee will still taste of sh*te even if it's being made by a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Until 74.2% of Starbucks employees are transgender or non binary and a minority, I'll never buy my soy latte there. It's imperative that an accurate representation of the demographics are displayed, in order for my soy to hit the spot.

So if you identify yourself as a different gender, you get to keep your livelihood?

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    So if you identify yourself as a different gender, you get to keep your livelihood?

Depends on who your employers are.

Would you throw on some pink eyeliner and a skirt to score a job in Starbucks? I hear wigs are optional if you have long hair. Both cis, non cis and patriarchs can apply.

It might make a difference between a future in percolation or the dole queue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I do not think it fair to apportion blame to white people of today for slavery of the past.

Black people were also part of the slave trade, both owners and sellers. It was all terribly wrong.

I’d love to provide the link but i don’t have it sorry but I seem to recall a stat from the FBI about modern slavery and more than 50% of those convicted where non-white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’d love to provide the link but i don’t have it sorry but I seem to recall a stat from the FBI about modern slavery and more than 50% of those convicted where non-white.
    They have 'house slaves' in parts of the Middle East, you never hear a peep about that from the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

Never mind the media, there is the UN Human Rights Council, but Saudi Arabia was a member, and Russia and China are currently members. So instead of feeling guilty about the past how about fixing the wrongs in the present?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8841637/Merriam-Webster-changes-sexual-preference-offensive-term-following-SCOTUS-hearing.html

Now the liberals are saying preference is offensive, how do these people go about their day.

I will put my woke hat on and say they're right, there is no sexual preference, you are either straight or gay on anywhere in between, but you have no choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Cordell wrote: »
    I will put my woke hat on and say they're right, there is no sexual preference, you are either straight or gay on anywhere in between, but you have no choice in the matter.
    you like what you like, its a preference doesn't matter whether its a choice or not the end result is the same you pick what you like. Its just trying to trip people up to be fake outraged.

Preference doesn't imply conscious choice, it just means you like one thing more than another thing. It makes no assumption as to why.

Its just trying to trip people up to be fake outraged.
    Absolutely, no argument here.
    its a preference
    Not really, preference implies that you prefer this, but if this is not available you will settle for that, which is not really the case with sexual orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Greta turnburg could hand delivers the beans that the Dali lama puts into the grinder while a reincarnated Ghandi foams the milk as mother Theresa misspells your name on the cup before allowing Rosa parks assemble it together and it would indeed still taste like sihit.

Absolutely, no argument here.

Not really, preference implies that you prefer this, but if this is not available you will settle for that, which is not really the case with sexual orientation.

It doesn't imply anything of the sort. And also that is the case with some peoples sexual orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

So you are saying that in prison there is no gay for the stay?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement