Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

EkM56UXU0AALE_i?format=jpg&name=large
    ,mnbvc

I did not realize coffee had multiple sex partners or gender identities. Big business loves the idea of people divided and identity politics. People divided are people easily controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,002 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why weren't they peddling cans like that 10 years ago?

Jumping on any bandwagon that'll make the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Gal Gadot getting grief online for playing Cleopatra.

Cries of “this is whitewashing!!”; “why is she not played by a stunning Arab actress??”.

Ms Gadot is half Israeli. Cleopatra was Greek. Both very south Europe/north Mid East.

Did we stop teaching history and m e straight to woke 101???

There's this sub on reddit - shít Americans say. It can be comedy gold sometimes. I seen a post the other day giving out about this very movie and stating it should be an African American, as everybody knows Cleopatra was in fact an African American woman!

Reminds me of an interview i seen many years ago with Desmond Tutu. The interviewer asked him something like was it particularly difficult to be an African American Bishop - he looked a bit baffled and replied, i don't know, i'm just African!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Reminds me of an interview i seen many years ago with Desmond Tutu. The interviewer asked him something like was it particularly difficult to be an African American Bishop - he looked a bit baffled and replied, i don't know, i'm just African!

EyDCJwNcYEQZ.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I watched the Samuel L Jackson slavery doc last night on BBC, the first two episodes. I sincerely found it really informative and learnt a lot of things about slavery that I had never learnt before, it was interesting and I will follow it.

However - ( here comes the borderline racist bit )

I felt the general tone of retribution and BLM was overbearing and too much. The most jaw dropping scenes were the group of predominantly African American divers they employed and filmed to investigate a sunken slave ship deep down in the ocean. They found an elephant tusk - stop laughing - and designed a dangerous deep sea dive to retrieve it whereupon the two most over-zealous activists began crying on the boat deck and hugging each other. It was very cringey. I mean there comes a time when contemporary humans should not be getting emotional about the plight of people 300 years ago, I am sorry but you simply were not there, so please phuck off with the faux emotions.

The usual health warnings apply, I am not a racist, but hearing the old fort museum creator in Ghana talking to Sam Jackson about the place and feeding his anger actually pissed me off. It is all well and good respecting and understanding your past. But getting vigilant and overzealous with retributive angst is nonsense. IMO what's done is done and what is won is won and what's lost is lost and gone forever. I cannot disagree with understanding your past, but finger pointing at the present is garbage imo.

In saying all that the documentary is well made and warrants a look, if only to have a giggle at the divers retrieving a 300 year old elephant tusk from the bottom of the ocean and declaring it a euphemistic symbol of the plight of African enslavement..... To be frank if I ever get kidnapped and sold to a foreign country, I would feel quite aggrieved if someone I never met or knew in 300 years time, gets a well know celebrity to pay them to deep sea dive to the bottom of the ocean and retrieve a phucking animal artifact and declare it a symbol of my existence.... and then start crying about it on live television.... please, please don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I mean there comes a time when contemporary humans should not be getting emotional about the plight of people 300 years ago, I am sorry but you simply were not there, so please phuck off with the faux emotions.

We could take a “lesson”, ourselves, from that as well, I.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

everything on netflix is DUBH at the moment thats pretty woke !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

There's this sub on reddit - shít Americans say. It can be comedy gold sometimes. I seen a post the other day giving out about this very movie and stating it should be an African American, as everybody knows Cleopatra was in fact an African American woman!

The US-centric view of some of them is embarrassing. When Adele was upbraided for wearing cornrows and the bikini with the Jamaican flag recently, she was celebrating the Notting Hill carnival. She grew up in Brixton so was celebrating her own upbringing in a diverse area.

Oh totally Spice, us Paddys' are fond of a bit of anti-Brit outrage also. Although in fairness I give 6 county citizens a pass on that front.

Put it this way, the civil war commemorations should be an eye opener.

Don't get me started on the confederacy of Kilkenny, cultural nationalism or indeed Irish historical bias. The truth is out there, somewhere hidden amongst the lies and propaganda spread by the evil enemy.

I watched the Samuel L Jackson slavery doc last night on BBC, the first two episodes. I sincerely found it really informative and learnt a lot of things about slavery that I had never learnt before, it was interesting and I will follow it.

I felt the general tone of retribution and BLM was overbearing and too much. The most jaw dropping scenes were the group of predominantly African American divers they employed and filmed to investigate a sunken slave ship deep down in the ocean. They found an elephant tusk - stop laughing - and designed a dangerous deep sea dive to retrieve it whereupon the two most over-zealous activists began crying on the boat deck and hugging each other. It was very cringey. I mean there comes a time when contemporary humans should not be getting emotional about the plight of people 300 years ago, I am sorry but you simply were not there, so please phuck off with the faux emotions.

The usual health warnings apply, I am not a racist, but hearing the old fort museum creator in Ghana talking to Sam Jackson about the place and feeding his anger actually pissed me off. It is all well and good respecting and understanding your past. But getting vigilant and overzealous with retributive angst is nonsense. IMO what's done is done and what is won is won and what's lost is lost and gone forever. I cannot disagree with understanding your past, but finger pointing at the present is garbage imo.

In saying all that the documentary is well made and warrants a look, if only to have a giggle at the divers retrieving a 300 year old elephant tusk from the bottom of the ocean and declaring it a euphemistic symbol of the plight of African enslavement..... To be frank if I ever get kidnapped and sold to a foreign country, I would feel quite aggrieved if someone I never met or knew in 300 years time, gets a well know celebrity to pay them to deep sea dive to the bottom of the ocean and retrieve a phucking animal artifact and declare it a symbol of my existence.... and then start crying about it on live television.... please, please don't.

I watched it too and the emotive shots were a joke . Its history we cant change it and Jackson will soon return to his millionaires mansion and forget all about it, he produced it by the way so the dosh he gets from selling it will rest easy in his bank account. Move on we cant change the famine the 2 world wars the millions of young men killed for nothing the millions of horse donkeys mules and dogs died in the war and they are non political.. So move on all this emotion for the blacks is actually making me dislike them whereas i didnt before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why weren't they peddling cans like that 10 years ago?

Jumping on any bandwagon that'll make the money.

How it started vs how it is now

aR7yE4M_460swp.webp
    cgvhj

IMHO most Irish have moved on. It's only a few die-hards who want to dredge up that anger. The difference in Irish society regarding the British Empire or the famine, is light years different now, than it was even thirty years ago.

I'd say that most Irish don't really care that much about it anymore, except for token gestures of appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think it's about time we highlighted the more wacky WOKE notions that are popping up in the media on a weekly basis nowadays, if any of them aren't at all. I'm putting this in AH in the hope it's a more lighthearted thread rather than not.

To start off here's 3 I've come across this last week alone.

Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Sky news are running a report this week that says one of the reasons black people are severely under-represented in pro swimming is because of their thick afro hair and standard swimming caps don't fit. I would have thought cutting your hair would be a solution to this problem but I suppose doing that would be discriminatory to hair.

Multi Grammy award winner Adele has been criticised for cultural appropriation, because she posted a pic of herself on Instagram sporting an African hairdo. I guess she's not into swimming. Source.

Do add the one's you come across as they arrive. I'll just make a prediction, exclamation marks will be next !

Adele received the most abuse online last year. More than Trump or Piers Morgan. Guess why?

She lost weight. Women attacked her for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The US-centric view of some of them is embarrassing. When Adele was upbraided for wearing cornrows and the bikini with the Jamaican flag recently, she was celebrating the Notting Hill carnival. She grew up in Brixton so was celebrating her own upbringing in a diverse area.

The very idea of cultural appropriation is asinine in the extreme.....although that being said it would have spared us the unspeakable horror that was being forced to endure UB40 (You probably won't truly grasp the depravity i speak of, unless you're in your 40's at least:D)

If you want to do your hair like they do in Jamaica / Nigeria / Leitrim - have at it. If you want to wear clothes like they do wherever, make music like they wherever - no culture "owns" anything.

Adapt and adopt is the name of the game as far as i'm concerned. It's all fair game.

Take Graceland - one of the best albums ever made in my opinion. There'd probably be calls to have Paul Simon boycotted if he released it today!

Adele received the most abuse online last year. More than Trump or Piers Morgan. Guess why?

She lost weight. Women attacked her for it.

TBF she, herself, previously advocated for the whole 'big is beautiful' malarkey, gained the attention from advocating it, and then went on to lose weight. basically she turned her back on the very movement she had previously championed.

She set herself up for the criticism.

TBF she, herself, previously advocated for the whole 'big is beautiful' malarkey, gained the attention from advocating it, and then went on to lose weight. basically she turned her back on the very movement she had previously championed.

This wasn't criticism, this was full on hate. From people with an agenda to normalise unhealthy behaviour.

well we all love fat people these days look at all the idiots getting bum lifts / pump outs in turkey and some actually dying from them we are a ****ed up race these days no one dares to be an individual anymore.

The teeth whitening has to be the worst - red faced ethnic minorities with Daz white smiles all again bought in Turkey.
    Turkey is flourishing on the back of these idiots who cant have a single individual moment they are all following each other.

wokeism of the day
    red faced fat irish people ( you know who they are) with glorious teeth almost dazzles the cctv when they are robbing your yard of tools and trailers !!

EkM56UXU0AALE_i?format=jpg&name=large
    ,mnbvc

I did not realize coffee had multiple sex partners or gender identities. Big business loves the idea of people divided and identity politics. People divided are people easily controlled.

This kind of ****e puts me off a company completely. Whether or not you agree with the sentiment you know they are just doing whatever they perceive as popular to sell more product.

That coffee is disgusting muck by the way.

This wasn't criticism, this was full on hate. From people with an agenda to normalise unhealthy behaviour.

rebel wilson is getting it at the moment for losing 80lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

That coffee is complete piss. Imagine the brainstorming sessions to come up with puke like that. I work in the advertising game and some of it, more so in the big ad places is puke inducing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

IMHO most Irish have moved on. It's only a few die-hards who want to dredge up that anger. The difference in Irish society regarding the British Empire or the famine, is light years different now, than it was even thirty years ago.

I'd say that most Irish don't really care that much about it anymore, except for token gestures of appreciation.

Would certainly hope so but you do find the subject of both the famine and British “control” of Ireland will still raise the blood of, us, Irish. The famine would, certainly, invoke a sadness which, in turn, could lead to anger.

The black people of colour in the US might feel their plight isn’t exactly over either. A lot of their issues are still fresh in their minds. I mean the last “lynching” over there was in 1981.

I get how the whole slave trade, and slavery, part of their “history” shouldn’t be felt with the same level of emotion but I’d forgive them for feeling something, considering the feelings we might get when reading, or seeing, accounts of the famine.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

rebel wilson is getting it at the moment for losing 80lbs

How dare she make me feel bad by getting healthy!

Would certainly hope so but you do find the subject of both the famine and British “control” of Ireland will still raise the blood of, us, Irish. The famine would, certainly, invoke a sadness which, in turn, could lead to anger.

The black people of colour in the US might feel their plight isn’t exactly over either. A lot of their issues are still fresh in their minds. I mean the last “lynching” over there was in 1981.

I get how the whole slave trade, and slavery, part of their “history” shouldn’t be felt with the same level of emotion but I’d forgive them for feeling something, considering the feelings we might get when reading, or seeing, accounts of the famine.

Sure, I get that.. but we don't base our identity on the past anymore. Ireland, for the most part, has moved on. AA people haven't. The focus on slavery/inequality is a core part of their overall culture. It's not healthy. There's comfort in dwelling on the past and being a victim.

It was both. Some merited, and most not. As I said, she advocated for people to feel pride in gaining weight, and then, did the opposite. She set herself up for the backlash, since she was fine with using the same people, when it suited her.

Still, Social media is pretty toxic these days. Full of hateful people looking for something to rant about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Get away with that sh1te. How is losing weight turning her back on the very movement that she previously championed? Did she start spouting that fat people are scum or stupid or something of that ilk? Did she aye.

She lost weight, that is all. And that's not grounds for criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

For a lot of black it's not in the past though is it. Slavery is but racism is not. The vast majority of african americans are descended from slaves, imagine knowing your entire existence is thanks you an industry and mindset that saw your ancestors as little more than animals, that they were lucky to even survive the journey which they would have made in chains and then live a life in servitude, and we're not just talking about one or two, we're talking generations. I didn't see the documentary but I'd imagine the elephant tusk represents the rape and pillage of an entire continent and its people. Now imagine someone telling you "what's done is done, let's move on".

Nothing you've said is racist, I'll grant you that but it's deeply insensitive and (I'm going to get lambasted by the PC gone mad brigade for saying it) it's a perfect example of the white privilege. White people don't get to decide when black people should move on, just like the Brits don't get to the decide when Ireland moves on or anyone gets to decide when the Jewish people move on.

Granadino wrote: »
    That coffee is complete piss. Imagine the brainstorming sessions to come up with puke like that. I work in the advertising game and some of it, more so in the big ad places is puke inducing....

I spoke with some marketing chunts recently. They spoke about how many of the super global products are examining smaller marketing and advertising ploys to establish a tactful introduction of sexually discriminatory marketing techniques to increase market share. The likes of Coca Cola, Guinness, Adidas and Nike etc are looking on keenly to see how market perception materialises.

I doubt pink coca cola will catch on, or pink Guinness. But pink tracksuits and runners are around since the 70's.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Get away with that sh1te. How is losing weight turning her back on the very movement that she previously championed? Did she start spouting that fat people are scum or stupid or something of that ilk? Did she aye.

She lost weight, that is all. And that's not grounds for criticism.

It's kinda common with all of these woke movements. People think to use them for their own purposes, and then are surprised when it turns on them. We're not talking about rational people.

I'm not excusing the behavior against her.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For a lot of black it's not in the past though is it. Slavery is but racism is not. The vast majority of african americans are descended from slaves, imagine knowing your entire existence is thanks you an industry and mindset that saw your ancestors as little more than animals, that they were lucky to even survive the journey which they would have made in chains and then live a life in servitude, and we're not just talking about one or two, we're talking generations. I didn't see the documentary but I'd imagine the elephant tusk represents the rape and pillage of an entire continent and its people. Now imagine someone telling you "what's done is done, let's move on".

Nothing you've said is racist, I'll grant you that but it's deeply insensitive and (I'm going to get lambasted by the PC gone mad brigade for saying it) it's a perfect example of the white privilege. White people don't get to decide when black people should move on, just like the Brits don't get to the decide when Ireland moves on or anyone gets to decide when the Jewish people move on.

I do not think it fair to apportion blame to white people of today for slavery of the past.

Black people were also part of the slave trade, both owners and sellers. It was all terribly wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

Oh totally Spice, us Paddys' are fond of a bit of anti-Brit outrage also. Although in fairness I give 6 county citizens a pass on that front.

Put it this way, the civil war commemorations should be an eye opener.

Don't get me started on the confederacy of Kilkenny, cultural nationalism or indeed Irish historical bias. The truth is out there, somewhere hidden amongst the lies and propaganda spread by the evil enemy.

The vast, vast majority of Irish have moved on. There's no mass protests. We aren't constantly dragging up the famine at every oppurtunity. There's no ridiculous woke articles in our media about thinks like being intimidated by Georgian architecture.

And this in the context of part of our country still under British jurisdiction and anti-Irish jokes and jibes are still acceptable in the UK. A far cry from the BLM approach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement