Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The same people who want children’s books like this banned are the very type of people promoting Drag Queen story hour.

EvfuoyAU4AIpH_E?format=jpg&name=900x900
    njb

I genuinely think I would have found Drag Queen Story Time scary as a child. I’m very serious. My mother never wore make up ever and so whenever any of my aunts or friend’s mothers would give me a hug or a kiss on the cheek, I’d (inwardly) recoil at the mothers and aunts that wore lots of make up. It used to freak me out. I was used to the fresh-faced beauty that was my mother.

I did go to the circus as a kid but the performers were far away.

I guess the parents who bring their children to these events might know whether their child will be scared or not? I don’t know.

In addition, wouldn’t it kind of take the children out of the story? I once heard a children’s storyteller describe herself as the frame if the story was the picture. She’s said she’s not supposed to be the focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I have visions of someone like Dougal ( from Father Ted) being sent up into space and looking at a control panel with some red buttons on it!

Why would visions of Dougal be coming to your head for hiring disabled people.

Mules wrote: »
    :D:D You laugh now, but they might crash a satellite down on us!

Ya disabled people are just stupid and do not know how to do a job

Why would visions of Dougal be coming to your head for hiring disabled people.
    Ya disabled people are just stupid and do not know how to do a job

Oh ffs.

I can't believe you need this explained to you. In the sitcom father Ted, dougal was played as an extremely inept person with obvious severe learning and cognitive disabilities.

This is not to say all disabled people display the same symptoms as all their disabilities are different.

The poster was obviously, and for comic effect, imagining one of the most absurd scenario, most famous character with one of the most inappropriate disability to suffer from in order to do that particular job.

There was no malice, no mean spiritedness and your inference that he was slighting disabled people was unnecessary but not unexpected.

Oh ffs.

Care to explain or is it woke to explain. If they were trying to joke and I got whoosed fair enough I did not get it but otherwise I have no idea

• Advertisement

Care to explain or is it woke to explain. If they were trying to joke and I got whoosed fair enough I did not get it but otherwise I have no idea

Just edited my post.

Just edited my post.

Was not so hard now was it. I didn't get the joke I don't think going to an obvious extreme is particularly funny I think its rather crass but that is also my humour and opinion or maybe its how you tell them as I can like Jimmy Carr. After all Hawkins was disabled. Never saw Douglas as a low cognitive person who is disable just a innocent idiot or are they called disabled now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Taking offense on behalf of other people ( who probably wouldn't be offended anyway ) is a top tier Woke-ism.

It guarantees endless opportunities to whip out the cancel stick.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Taking offense on behalf of other people ( who probably wouldn't be offended anyway ) is a top tier Woke-ism.

It guarantees endless opportunities to whip out the cancel stick.

I don't agree from the outset challenging someone is automatically been offended or woke. It should be encouraged. Now if is it is to be offended and to whip out the cancel stick then that should be challenged also. Categorizing something as woke in my opinion is an attempt to close down conversation as it just as bad as using terms such as racist or discrimination in a discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Apart from when it is Irish invading that which is now the UK.

Funnily enough, I don't see many Irish people defending that today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I genuinely think I would have found Drag Queen Story Time scary as a child. I’m very serious. My mother never wore make up ever and so whenever any of my aunts or friend’s mothers would give me a hug or a kiss on the cheek, I’d (inwardly) recoil at the mothers and aunts that wore lots of make up. It used to freak me out. I was used to the fresh-faced beauty that was my mother.

Did your mother's friends and sisters have horns coming out of their head? Because that would be what would be freaking me out if I was going to that story time!

I don't agree from the outset challenging someone is automatically been offended or woke. It should be encouraged. Now if is it is to be offended and to whip out the cancel stick then that should be challenged also. Categorizing something as woke in my opinion is an attempt to close down conversation as it just as bad as using terms such as racist or discrimination in a discussion

Not quite the same thing. And that's another Woke-ism - making false equivalences.

Woke-isms are clearly an attempt at virtue. Whereas, nobody would claim discrimination/ racism has any virtue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

statesaver wrote: »
    We were part of the British colonial empire through Irish people ( Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter ) serving in the British Army and the British Civil Service.

Sure, didn't Tom Barry apply to join the British Civil Service in India in 1919. He got rejected and well the rest is history as they say.

He sure didn't put that in his book. :D
    Must have forgot.

Not quite the same thing. And that's another Woke-ism - making false equivalences.

Woke-isms are clearly an attempt at virtue. Whereas, nobody would claim discrimination/ racism has any virtue.

I think there both the same they are both trying to shut down a conversation by using a word rather then having a discussion

God woke-ism all over the place. So if woke-isms are clearly an attempt at virtue then would people trying to point out what is woke not been woke themselves as you trying to show virtue

Apart from when it is Irish invading that which is now the UK.

The what now? You going back to the 5thC or do you mean immigration or something.

I think there both the same they are both trying to shut down a conversation by using a word rather then having a discussion

God woke-ism all over the place. So if woke-isms are clearly an attempt at virtue then would people trying to point out what is woke not been woke themselves as you trying to show virtue

Not really.

Mental gymnastics are the poor man's rational deduction.

Not really.

Mental gymnastics are the poor man's rational deduction.

Well I suppose we will leave it there then

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mules wrote: »
    Here's one; The European Space Agency is looking to recruit disabled astronauts to increase diversity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-56072219

Fair enough if the person is up to the job but they wouldn't want to be compromising on safety just to look woke.
    You don't really need legs in weightlessness so there could be a 20% saving on mass. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I genuinely think I would have found Drag Queen Story Time scary as a child..

I find Drag Queens scary as an adult no mind as a child.

edit: In case this comes across as an unfair comment, I got an unmerciful slap across the face once in a gay nightclub (back in my hayday) from a DQ. I was new to the scene, walked up to him in the bathroom and stared into his face in wonderment. Maybe I deserved it, but at the same time I can't rid myself of the thought that if you seek attention you can hardly complain that you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Elmo wrote: »
    Did your mother's friends and sisters have horns coming out of their head? Because that would be what would be freaking me out if I was going to that story time!

Yes, that was the style of the time. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Six Dr Seuss books the latest victim of wokeism it seems.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0303/1200632-dr-seuss/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Antares35 wrote: »
    Six Dr Seuss books the latest victim of wokeism it seems.

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2021/0303/1200632-dr-seuss/

Tis grand, dont worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭carfinder

Well I suppose we will leave it there then
    Disappointing ending - I was enjoying this particular conversation, but it must have been hard to recover from what was a very witty comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Couple of tweets taken from a thread about Dr Seuss

https://twitter.com/consciouskidlib/status/969657442102534149
    "0 representations of LGBTQIA+ characters" What does the A stand for now? :confused:

Tis grand, dont worry about it.
    Unfortunately they seem to be all sold out on Amazon.

Conscious kid could definitely contribute to the woke thread. We need more material.

Barna77 wrote: »
    "0 representations of LGBTQIA+ characters" What does the A stand for now? :confused:

You'd think they'd have known better than to leave out the LGBTQIAs in 1937. :D

Asexual, I would assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yeah, you can safely ignore everything after the B as it's either political queer theory or a convenience for political critical queer theory which is awful, awful stuff.

• Advertisement

Asexual, I would assume.
    I had another A** in mind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement