Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

Kivaro wrote: »
    I hid under the bed after I saw the first icon.

My 6 year old saw it on her MacBook while we were in Starbucks and said "father, that symbol is nothing more than hate", then she walked over to a rabbi and gave them her soy kiddicino. "This is for your pain" she added before socially distance air high-fiving a black child.

Everyone stood and clapped.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Excuse you!!!!

It's a mxntal illness.
    Nah, they'd keep the "men" part in that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Hitler lives on in the minds of these people. He must be everywhere to them.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1366754350480171012

:D:D
    Some wag replied
    "great now it looks like POL-POT"
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

NOW, no wonder normal people can see it...?... (never mind the POCness, brush over that)

https://twitter.com/jon3vans/status/1366761545536073733

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    :D:D
    Some wag replied
    "great now it looks like POL-POT"
    :pac:

Sadly, genocidal Communists aren't a issue for the types of people who managed to see Hitler in the logo.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Hitler lives on in the minds of these people. He must be everywhere to them.

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1366754350480171012

This is a joke, right?

Mules wrote: »
    Here's one; The European Space Agency is looking to recruit disabled astronauts to increase diversity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-56072219

Fair enough if the person is up to the job but they wouldn't want to be compromising on safety just to look woke.

I have visions of someone like Dougal ( from Father Ted) being sent up into space and looking at a control panel with some red buttons on it!

TomTomTim wrote: »

Maybe it was supposed to be Charlie Chaplin or Oliver Hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Cordell wrote: »
    So no, they won't be hiring blind pilots or mentally challenged physicists anytime soon.

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I have visions of someone like Dougal ( from Father Ted) being sent up into space and looking at a control panel with some red buttons on it!
    :D:D You laugh now, but they might crash a satellite down on us!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Little Prince woke missing from 2fm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

KevRossi wrote: »
    Nowhere near the majority are black, but they are represented far over their numbers here. What's even more exaggerated is the amount of mixed race couples they depict in ads compared to the real numbers.

Part of it is trying to be 'with it', but a lot of it is fear from an online backlash if they don't have enough ethnic minorities in it.

Ireland has about 1% black population, so do the maths.

I'm pretty sure that ad about unwanted sexual advances has a 100% white cast. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Cordell

Achebe wrote: »
    It's really amazing to see this sort of stuff on an Irish forum.

I'm not sure I get this right, are you saying that what I said should not be said on Irish forums?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭rightmove

Little Prince woke missing from 2fm

and the bells were ringing out for christmas day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I'm not sure I get this right, are you saying that what I said should not be said on Irish forums?

I wouldn't agree with your OP that they responded to, I don't necessarily think the european colonists brought cavillation to the masses of Africa, or any other part of the world, I don't think that Belgium's Congo would in anyway prove that.

But then I seem to be a contradiction. Half Woke here.

I’m far from woke but I agree with him. Your terminology is horrible (savages) and that term was applied to the Irish. Which is probably what he was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Kivaro wrote: »
    I hid under the bed after I saw the first icon.

Iv been burning packages coming to the door. Thought it was nazi memorabilia in the boxes.

I’m far from woke but I agree with him. Your terminology is horrible (savages) and was applied to the Irish. Which is probably what he was referring to.

I see. It was never my intention to allude to that, but still, we should not fear words or ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

We should be talking about potatoes, whiskey, Guinness and peig.

Indeed, the only Irish people who could possibly be opposed to imperialism are those who only talk about things like that.

I'm saying it's bizarre to see Irish people coming out with tired propaganda for colonial empires.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

silverharp wrote: »

Gawd, Peter Lloyd is such an insufferable blowhard. I’ve heard the World Cup on occasion be referred to as the men’s World Cup throughout my life. It’s usually just called the World Cup but tacking men onto the front on occasion isn’t a new thing. Especially if it’s an American who wrote that headline (I’m not sure it is). Soccer is more popular with women and girls than men and boys in America. It totally makes sense to me in that context that they would differentiate.

It’s like the complaint I’ve heard a few times in the last few years when women are referred to as ‘actors’ rather than ‘actresses’. They are usually called ‘actresses’ but I’m 37 and I’ve heard women sometimes referred to as ‘actors’ my whole life. It’s been presented as a new, politically correct thing. Not in my experience.

The likes of Lloyd above are being overly sensitive IMO. Reading WAY too much into things. It comes across quite petty. Lloyd is just as bad as the overly sensitive women he loves to criticise. Very tit-for-tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

I see. It was never my intention to allude to that, but still, we should not fear words or ideas.

No, it's just the other people who were savages of course. Not us.

We should call out bad ideas, and praising imperialism is a bad idea.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    TRA = trans rights activists (don't be fooled by the 'rights' bit)

https://twitter.com/xx_chromosomes_/status/1366745844528132098

That... what? My head hurts. I’m so confused.

I'm saying it's bizarre to see Irish people coming out with tired propaganda for colonial empires.

I'm not Irish, but my background have no relevance as we all here reject identity politics, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Never heard it called the Men's World Cup, never.

statesaver wrote: »

I have! And if it’s an American article, it isn’t that weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

statesaver wrote: »

I've frequently heard it called the men's World Cup in the US. As has been pointed out above, soccer is more popular in the US among girls and women, and the US women's team have won four world cups. The image of Brandi Chastain in her sports bra after scoring the winning penalty in the 1999 Women's World Cup final is iconic for many American women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Indeed, the only Irish people who could possibly be opposed to imperialism are those who only talk about things like that.

We were part of the British colonial empire through Irish people ( Catholic, Protestant and Dissenter ) serving in the British Army and the British Civil Service.

Sure, didn't Tom Barry apply to join the British Civil Service in India in 1919. He got rejected and well the rest is history as they say.

silverharp wrote: »
    this is an interesting observation, basically progressives have made sure they never see a black face on their food packaging, I guess its in line with where they live too lol

https://twitter.com/RubinReport/status/1366814303626518528

What does he mean by saying that liberals are no different than they’ve ever been and don’t want people of colour anywhere they go?

Like, don’t get me wrong, the initial observation he makes is an interesting one but I’m not following his conclusion. What did he mean by that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

No, it's just the other people who were savages of course. Not us.

We should call out bad ideas, and praising imperialism is a bad idea.

Apart from when it is Irish invading that which is now the UK.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement