Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jumpers are Coming 2020/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭spuddiesal

Dunno how anyone see's that
    The race wasn't run to suit either of them, one coped, the other didn't
    Read what EOL said about the race in the RP, race went completely against the plan for Abacadabras
    Everyone cribbed that he couldn't/wouldn't win a battle if another horse got up to him, but he did!
    Abacadabras is a top class horse who will prove so in years to come. His form with Envoi Allan and Shishkin is in the book, its there for all to see.

What has Saint Roi done??? Won a feckin County Hurdle!!!
    People getting way too excited about a horse who has done very little to warrant the hype and people cribbing the horse who has been there and done it

Regardless, Epatante beats both

I agree that Abracadbras is 2nd to Epatante. Dunno how anyone can say Aspire tower defiantly beats Abra at Xmas. Abra had a 6lb penalty and was his first run of the season. You can’t trust Aspire after last years performances and especially as a 4 year old. With a better ride against Envoi Allen in the royal bond Abra could have got much closer to him. Saint roi is a danger but has a lot to learn.
    Siskin ran into an awful lot of trouble in the supreme. I think he is the real deal (unfortunately)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Convinced these threads are full of professional layers.

I talk a fair amount of shight, but some of the drivel here is excruciating.

You'se know who you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

IAMAMORON wrote: »

You'se know who you are.

me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You'se know who you are.

Cooking from you, that is some statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

You'se know who you are.

Coming from you, that is some statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

I am team Saint Roi too.
    It was clearly a poor ride on saint roi in that race.
    Funny how the beaten horse is a shorter price than the winner for the champ hurdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Saint Roi has built up this fan club based on very very little
    I have a feeling his being an Irish JP horse has a lot to do with it
    I will take much pleasure in March, or Christmas, slagging the bolocks off the lot of ye when Aba beats him, AGAIN, NTO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Saint Roi has built up this fan club based on very very little
    I have a feeling his being an Irish JP horse has a lot to do with it
    I will take much pleasure in March, or Christmas, slagging the bolocks off the lot of ye when Aba beats him, AGAIN, NTO!

He won the County Hurdle on the absolute snaff as a novice.
    The horse who came second that day hacked up on his next two outings, one of which was the Galway Hurdle.

This is not, under any circumstances, 'very very little'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Morgans

The horse who came second that day hacked up on his next two outings, one of which was the Galway Hurdle.

Stop talking sense, we don't like that round here.

I might be a little hyperbolic on this one ;)

But...I don't think his form comes close to what Aba has done in the last 15 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ah this is great craic and I guess the last two pages are great examples of why we all love this sport, it is until otherwise conclusively proven, a game of opinions, I have long ago come to the conclusion that there are no wrong or stupid views - if we all knew everything and were right all the time we would be very wealthy and wouldn't be bothered arguing online!

None of the above applies to IAMAMORON who is clearly wrong about everything :D....just sayin!

My tuppence on the Champion Hurdle for what its worth;

Epatante - Goshen - Saint Roi - Abacadabras - Honeysuckle in that order. There is however considerable doubt about at least two of those making it there. Take out the favourite and it is wide open.

I have backed Epatante in a few doubles with Envoi and trebles with Paisley Park and I also couldnt resist the Paddy Power special of Goshen to go unbeaten for the year @ 40/1 which I think is a fair price for a horse all going well will only run three times, not excluding the fact that the trainer is likely to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Not a mention of Sharjah, he has much better form that any of the Novices, and one thing learned over the years, CH form means more than anything. Ran really well last year on soft ground, if it turns up decent ground, he wont be far away.

Problem is he is inconsistent, but on a going day is the 2nd best hurdler around.

aidankkk wrote: »
    Not a mention of Sharjah, he has much better form that any of the Novices, and one thing learned over the years, CH form means more than anything. Ran really well last year on soft ground, if it turns up decent ground, he wont be far away.

Problem is he is inconsistent, but on a going day is the 2nd best hurdler around.

Firstly they were going to go Novice Chasing, they they were going to campaign him on the flat, but were scratched for varying reasons so he goes the Champion Hurdle route again, almost by default.

Last years race he ran to place, dropped out the back and passed beaten horses up the hill, finished second but never ever looked like winning, will be another Theatreworld at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

The Marsh/JLT is just another excuse for decent novices to dodge each other. In the old days, Envoi Allen and Shishkin would probably be in line to clash with each other in the Arkle. Now they can take different routes. Not blaming connections as the alternatives are there to be taken advantage of, but from a purist's point of view these relatively new races are contradicting the very point of the Cheltenham Festival.

Exactly the dilution to get from 3 days to 4 days by opening up opportunities and allowing this to happen

Stifles competition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

abarkie wrote: »
    Exactly the dilution to get from 3 days to 4 days by opening up opportunities and allowing this to happen

Stifles competition

Yeah but there is far too much difference in 2 miles and 3 miles around cheltenham ( its like a different sport) . Intermediate trips are needed for novices, who want to step up the following year.

Its not all setup purely for us to enjoy it. Marsh has been a great race.

Im all for 4 days. (That said they should have kept the novice handicap and lost the Kim Muir)

Couldn't have Sharjah at all Aidan
    Ran an absolute stinker in Galway subsequently
    Reminds me a lot of limini
    Lots of talent but no consistency
    Couldn't have him at all

Must be all those seconds in Dundalk...................

aidankkk wrote: »
    Yeah but there is far too much difference in 2 miles and 3 miles around cheltenham ( its like a different sport) . Intermediate trips are needed for novices, who want to step up the following year.

Absolutely, I mean if you have a 2m 4 championship race, then it seems pretty logical to have a novice race over the same distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I might be a little hyperbolic hyperbolix on this one ;)

But...I don't think his form comes close to what Aba has done in the last 15 months

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Am I imagining it or is there a lot more fences being omitted due to low sun this year?
    Is this a jockey request or course decision?

maximo31 wrote: »
    Am I imagining it or is there a lot more fences being omitted due to low sun this year?
    Is this a jockey request or course decision?

Absolutely ruining the game

• Advertisement

Absolutely ruining the game

I cannot speak for NAAS racecourse, but having the chases so late in the afternoon is surely their fault? I see at the weekend Cheltenham brought their chases forward to earlier start times to accommodate the prospect of low sun.

Why don't Naas do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Any word on City Island returning? No entries listed on Racing Post.

Well paisley park is well and truly back anyway .

akelly02 wrote: »
    Well paisley park is well and truly back anyway .

He is some bus alright. He obviously needs a strong pace, and every inch of 3 miles. When he gets going late on it is very exciting. He is still a nice price for Cheltenham. 7/2 in places.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/stayers-hurdle/winner

I wonder is Richard Johnson fuming thinking he has gone to early?

He is some bus alright. He obviously needs a strong pace, and every inch of 3 miles. When he gets going late on it is very exciting. He is still a nice price for Cheltenham. 7/2 in places.

https://www.oddschecker.com/cheltenham-festival/stayers-hurdle/winner

I wonder is Richard Johnson fuming thinking he has gone to early?

He clearly is fuming , but he shouldn't be . Done everything right and still lost.

Paisley lost his place a bit rounding the home turn when roksana pushed him out . So was value for a 2 or 3 length win I'm my eyes. Another furlong and he would have put a bit of daylight between them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Ride on Thyme Hill seemed fine to me. Just idled in front and was caught at the perfect moment by PP and Johnson couldn’t react. Champ and Minella Indo esqe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Mig wrote: »
    Ride on Thyme Hill seemed fine to me. Just idled in front and was caught at the perfect moment by PP and Johnson couldn’t react. Champ and Minella Indo esqe

Better on better ground.

I think the only way to get him bet is to go slow early and then do him for pace in a sprint, although he is not slow either when he gets going. I think I will end up backing him if he turned up at Cheltenham because you are certainly guaranteed a bit of value for your money. He keeps going and you can roar him home.

It is also a great benchmark for last years Albert Bartlett, all of those first 4 are very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

He's such a strange horse the way he runs a race but he's got some heart and obviously stamina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Coneygree wrote: »
    He's such a strange horse the way he runs a race but he's got some heart and obviously stamina.

He's not very different from the likes of Big Bucks, Inglis Drever and Baracouda who all raced lazily, needed plenty of stoking along and stayed on strongly when most of their opposition had had enough. Probably the ideal type for a 3 mile hurdler.

Advertisement