Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about sending your kids back to school?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

I'm thrilled.

Ok, there's a risk it might unravel quickly.

However the re-opening has to be attempted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

SteM wrote: »
    I want to be clear, were talking about suspected cases. We were told that if our child had symptoms we were to keep him home, call our GP and inform the school. We were told that no other child or parent in the class would be informed unless it was a confirmed case. So I don't see how one suspected case will mean the other 29 have to be sent home if they're not informing other kids or parents of suspected cases.

Hush hush. I can see this going really well. Lemme guess by the time the result is declared it will have been "traced" back to mammy or daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

whatever decisions people make re their own kids is their own business to be honest. i wouldn't dare judge anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

kali.mist wrote: »
    Others like me? I work in pharma. The scientists I work with are quite scared. You are hardly blinding me with your science. I think you are trying to convince yourself about something. Best of luck with that. I hope you don't live to regret these "The kids will be fine" posts.

Others who want to keep their kids out of school.
    Science, I've got a B.Sc and an M.Sc., your point??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

kali.mist wrote: »
    Others like me? I work in pharma. The scientists I work with are quite scared. You are hardly blinding me with your science. I think you are trying to convince yourself about something. Best of luck with that. I hope you don't live to regret these "The kids will be fine" posts.

They want to convince everyone to suspend reality like they have.

We all know they are lying to themselves. It is a coping mechanism, pretend there is no risk.

• Advertisement

Hush hush. I can see this going really well. Lemme guess by the time the result is declared it will have been "traced" back to mammy or daddy.

Allow hundreds of contacts before the test result.

Amazingly intelligent approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭SteM

I have no idea what you're babbling on about I'm afraid. I was asked a simple question and I answered it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Do you have high risk people in your home?

Not that I know of.

I want to be clear, were talking about suspected cases. We were told that if our child had symptoms we were to keep him home, call our GP and inform the school. We were told that no other child or parent in the class would be informed unless it was a confirmed case. So I don't see how one suspected case will mean the other 29 have to be sent home if they're not informing other kids or parents of suspected cases.

And the predefined approach to a confirmed case is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not that I know of.

Well stop judging those who do and are trying to manage the situation as best they can

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Not a parent, but I'm not sending myself back as a teacher! :pac: I was only subbing the very odd day and doing an evening Further Ed class, but I've resigned that contract and have turned down all offers of subbing and Maths hours. Think this will be the final nail in the coffin of my teaching career and I'll leave it behind fully now. My doctor's advice is to avoid.

Just one family group within my extended family are sending their children back. Most will wait and see. A group of my cousins have hired a tutor for their children.

i_surge wrote: »
    They want to convince everyone to suspend reality like they have.

We all know they are lying to themselves. It is a coping mechanism, pretend there is no risk.
    Living is risky, in fact we'll all die eventually.

But give the kids a chance to live before they die.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭SteM

And the predefined approach to a confirmed case is?

What's your point here? You asked me what we were told in the event if a suspected case in the classroom and I told you.

What do you think the predefined approach to a confirmed case would be?

Others who want to keep their kids out of school.
    Science, I've got a B.Sc and an M.Sc., your point??

Is engineering a science?

Yes, they're going to fudge it.

But tbh they've been at it for months.

Is engineering a science?

Yep.

Not a parent, but I'm not sending myself back as a teacher! :pac: I was only subbing the very odd day and doing an evening Further Ed class, but I've resigned that contract and have turned down all offers of subbing and Maths hours. Think this will be the final nail in the coffin of my teaching career and I'll leave it behind fully now. My doctor's advice is to avoid.

Just one family group within my extended family are sending their children back. Most will wait and see. A group of my cousins have hired a tutor for their children.

Finally a teacher with the balls to take a stand. Commendable, well done

eviltwin wrote: »
    Well stop judging those who do and are trying to manage the situation as best they can

I'm not judging.
    I'm simply suggesting that you're wrong.

What's your point here? You asked me what we were told in the event if a suspected case in the classroom and I told you.

What do you think the predefined approach to a confirmed case would be?

I want to know

I presume it would be to quarantine the whole class or school but I'm curious to hear if they have woven some hand waving excuse there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yep.

In fairness though, it means nothing. I have a science degree but know shag all about viruses (medical ones anyway). Having BSc or MSc is meaningless in this discussion. Equally, working in pharma is also bollix unless you are a n expert in relevant area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

People keeping kids out of school are trying to keep their kids safe. It’s very disingenuous to try and make out that it’s parents keeping them away for the sake of it, or robbing them of an education.
    I know personally I don’t want to be gambling with my child’s life. By the way having a BSC or an MSC or any other qualification doesn’t make your point or views more valid than anyone else’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is my understanding too. Nobody will be sent home except the suspected case. And if positive it will be HSE contact tracing who will notify anyone deemed a close contact, the school will not be involved other than providing list of contacts. Who will be considered a close contact remains to be seen. I fear the HSE may try to limit it to those bullsh1t pods, but ECDC advice is that all in the classroom be deemed a close contact at high risk of exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not judging.
    I'm simply suggesting that you're wrong.

So you think my sons education should take precedent over the health of two people?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

God, you are relentless !

And slightly overly dramatic.

My kids have done a lot more living since schools been off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Yep.

Jaysus we're feckin scientists so.

I'd say not really, we just practically apply science. As seen with conehead Donnelly though, not great in dealing with other humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

I want to know

I presume it would be to quarantine the whole class or school but I'm curious to hear if they have woven some hand waving excuse there too.

I think from what I’ve been reading, they would only ask the pod or group the child sits with to self isolate, the rest of the kids in the class go in as usual. Despite the fact all these kids breathing the same air in the same room for hours, whereas to be considered a close contact adult it’s 15 minutes in less than 2 meter distance. Makes F all sense to me.

That's just hokey nonsense and yes we all die and life is risky but this is different on a few levels, a well "designed" goldilocks hard to evade or detect virus and multiplicative risk.

We rarely get those circumstances and need to take them seriously. I despair at the pack of wisdom in western culture compared to Asia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thread started well...quickly turned to ****e. Let's hope that's not a sign of thing to come.

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness though, it means nothing. I have a science degree but know shag all about viruses (medical ones anyway). Having BSc or MSc is meaningless in this discussion. Equally, working in pharma is also bollix unless you are an expert in relevant area.

Yes I agree to an extent. But if you have a scientific background you're able to find and read a scientific paper, check if it's peer reviewed, make an educated opinion to it and the person who wrote it. That's more than a journalist can do. I'm not dismissing posters here but a lot of people are basing their opinions purely on what journalists write.
    Also these experts disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

I have one child in primary school with 900 students and classes of 30. My second child is in post primary with 1100 students, classes of 30 and no spare rooms. I work in a large secondary school myself. We are all going back, nervously.

I said goodbye to my elderly parents today. Perhaps I will see them at Christmas.
    (Did you hear that Phil Hogan? ; )

Advertisement