Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you feel about sending your kids back to school?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Ludo wrote: »
    In fairness though, it means nothing. I have a science degree but know shag all about viruses (medical ones anyway). Having BSc or MSc is meaningless in this discussion. Equally, working in pharma is also bollix unless you are an expert in relevant area.

Fairly basic training is needed to follow the simple maths of epidemics. We have all seen those animations.

It is not rocket science, but you can end up feeling like one when you see how low the standard of knowledge is here at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

yasmina wrote: »
    God, you are relentless !

And slightly overly dramatic.

My kids have done a lot more living since schools been off.

Well keep them out. Don't worry about their future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

Others who want to keep their kids out of school.
    Science, I've got a B.Sc and an M.Sc., your point??

BS. capital C. Ill give it a go, but you seem to have made your mind up. I work in oncology and in particular with lab testing. I have seen how terrified my colleagues in Spain and Italy are about this virus and how the UK (and therefore us) are mishandling it. These are scientists. I am not. Ill take their lead. That's my point.

The golfing elite of our country are the ones that are pushing for our kids to go back now. Not because its "good for the kids". Its because they cannot keep paying "furlough" for those parents who cannot work from home.

I don't want to "keep my kids out of school". The 9-year-old, in particular, is mad to see his friends. Its up to me as a parent to look at the science, make the call and take the consequences.

SteM wrote: »
    You tell me what you think a school will do it they have a confirmed case of covid 19 in a class? I know because I was on the call but you tell me what you think, I want to know.

That is a strangely aggressive tone. I will leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

It's not one or the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm quite worried about it. I didn't know I had any kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭HBC08

Others who want to keep their kids out of school.
    Science, I've got a B.Sc and an M.Sc., your point??

This is a sensitive subject and you were coming across as a bit of a d1ck,
    then you started telling us about your college credentials.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

Ah come on now.

As I previously mentioned, mine are going back, no question.
    I was simply responding to your dramatic
    "But give the kids a chance to live before they die"
    statement!!

For what it's worth, I'm not at all worried about their future whether they go back to school next week with no further outages or whether they miss the next year or two due to Covid. They'll be grand. School is far from the be all and end all.

kali.mist wrote: »
    BS. capital C.
    Not sure what you're saying here, calling my post bs??
    Ill give it a go, but you seem to have made your mind up.
    Yes I have.
    I work in oncology and in particular with lab testing. I have seen how terrified my colleagues in Spain and Italy are about this virus and how the UK (and therefore us) are mishandling it. These are scientists. I am not. Ill take their lead. That's my point.
    There are opposing opinions on the best approach. There is also dishonesty and manipulation for sure by government.
    I'd also suggest they regret the shutdown.
    The golfing elite of our country are the ones that are pushing for our kids to go back now. Not because its "good for the kids". Its because they cannot keep paying "furlough" for those parents who cannot work from home.
    That is a side show and shouldn't influence your decision. You think Phil Hogan cares about your kids?
    I don't want to "keep my kids out of school". The 9-year-old, in particular, is mad to see his friends. Its up to me as a parent to look at the science, make the call and take the consequences.
    You know the consequences of a poor education.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

Yes, my children are really looking forward to seeing other children again and I really want them to get learning. I have not been successful at teaching them. Very busy with my own work and obviously as no teaching training I don't know the techniques.
    I've 2 primary school & 1 crèche. The crèche has been open and running successfully since end June I feel schools can do the same.
    My older child is very worried about what if she sniffles or coughs at school and everyone will think she has the virus and be afraid of her.
    Sad to think that is the worry they have. We really need to learn how to live with this might as well get started.
    Perhaps staggering start times and encouraging parents to keep away from school will become normal and reduce traffic issues around school s & school times.

• Advertisement

Ah come on now.

As I previously mentioned, mine are going back, no question.
    I was simply responding to your dramatic
    "But give the kids a chance to live before they die"
    statement!!

For what it's worth, I'm not at all worried about their future whether they go back to school next week with no further outages or whether they miss the next year or two due to Covid. They'll be grand. School is far from the be all and end all.
    Depends on the kid. Two of mine will be fine, one I need to watch.

Not sure what you're saying here, calling my post bs??

Yes I have.

There are opposing opinions on the best approach. There is also dishonesty and manipulation for sure by government.
    I'd also suggest they regret the shutdown. It is acting out your biases.

That is a side show and shouldn't influence your decision. You think Phil Hogan cares about your kids?

You know the consequences of a poor education.

Look man i saw your poor logic on the Sweden thing. You were cherry picking data and ignoring similar approaches in other countries where it failed badly to suit your argument

That is not science or engineering.

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    I have one child in primary school with 900 students and classes of 30. My second child is in post primary with 1100 students, classes of 30 and no spare rooms. I work in a large secondary school myself. We are all going back, nervously.

I said goodbye to my elderly parents today. Perhaps I will see them at Christmas.
    (Did you hear that Phil Hogan? ; )
    He doesn't care. Never has.
    It's tough and your parents should have an input into your approach in my opinion.
    There are grandparents who don't have the time to wait this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

It is extremely concerning. The plan is a recipe for disaster, and I feel people are being deliberately misled on the part children play in spreading covid.

Virtually every other parents I have spoken to has voiced the same concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

LaLa2004 wrote: »
    I have one child in primary school with 900 students and classes of 30. My second child is in post primary with 1100 students, classes of 30 and no spare rooms. I work in a large secondary school myself. We are all going back, nervously.

I said goodbye to my elderly parents today. Perhaps I will see them at Christmas.
    (Did you hear that Phil Hogan? ; )

This is something i'm worried about too, regarding my mother in law. She is very elderly and needs our practical support, not just waving in the window at her. My own mother lives down the country so I don't see her as often but her other grandchildren live in the same house as her so I am very worried about her also. I'm surprised it's not coming up as a bigger issue for more people. It's hard to do what's right for the children and what's right for the grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

Depends on the kid. Two of mine will be fine, one I need to watch.

We all need to watch them all. School has nothing to do with it.

It is extremely concerning. The plan is a recipe for disaster, and I feel people are being deliberately misled on the part children play in spreading covid.
    I agree that kids will spread it just as much as workers in meat factories. But I think schools are more important than meat factories.
    Virtually every other parents I have spoken to has voiced the same concern.
    I don't see any way to address this. The kids have to go back to school and the classrooms aren't big enough and there's not enough teachers.

I agree that kids will spread it just as much as workers in meat factories. But I think schools are more important than meat factories.

I don't see any way to address this. The kids have to go back to school and the classrooms aren't big enough and there's not enough teachers.

Have is a very strong word

Only one obligation in this life ;)

I think kids need structure. Parents have different pressures.

One good thing from this is that we see now that education is a vital service and that teachers are just as important as doctors and nurses.

One good thing from this is that we see now that education is a vital service and that teachers are just as important as doctors and nurses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

kali.mist wrote: »
    If the schools are not shut in the next two months and things seem to be safe, then he goes back. I am not willing to engage in an "experiment". Thats selfish of course, but as you can see there are many that are glad to see the kids going back to school for one reason or another so...

And if everyone else was a selfish as you, where would that leave us?

Vital is also a strong word there, considering what it actually means

Healthier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

For anyone on Instagram @dr_mammyguthrie (she’s a medical doctor) did a story on the schools going back and what has happened in other countries who opened earlier and didn’t close. It was very interesting.

For example, someone mentioned Berlin earlier (who had schools outbreaks 2 weeks after opening). It was 5% of schools. Berlin is restricting indoor gatherings to 500 and outdoor to 1000 and they had a huge protest with 20000 people before the schools opened.

Sweden didn’t close the schools and saw the same infection rates in children as Finland who did.

Where children are getting it, it’s from out in the community rather than catching it from other children based on the data.

Obviously these are all just observational studies but it sounds promising.

screamer wrote: »
    People keeping kids out of school are trying to keep their kids safe. It’s very disingenuous to try and make out that it’s parents keeping them away for the sake of it, or robbing them of an education.
    I know personally I don’t want to be gambling with my child’s life. By the way having a BSC or an MSC or any other qualification doesn’t make your point or views more valid than anyone else’s.

What are you waiting for though? For everyone elses children to go first?

i_surge wrote: »
    Healthier

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

I agree with you Mallet. I am a *unt it seems. Sorry to all.

Nonsense.

It is nonsense for you to judge how someone parents their own kids.

i_surge wrote: »
    It is nonsense for you to judge how someone parents their own kids.

I'm not judging how they parent their kids. I'm asking if everyone decided to be as selfish (the posters words) where would that leave our society? Probably happy to tell everyone to wear a mask to protect others (ie him), but wont engage when something is required of them, desperate outlook.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    This is a sensitive subject and you were coming across as a bit of a d1ck,
    then you started telling us about your college credentials.
    I was responding to a post questioning my ability to comment on science.
    Seems to be a common retort when people question the logic of the government lockdown response. You're either a Luddite or a Trump supporter.

Advertisement