Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about sending your kids back to school?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Delighted to have my kids going back to school. They need an education and some sort of normality. Disappointed that they will be forced to wear masks all day. I think they should be allowed take the mask off during the classes.
    Hope the schools don't close when there are covid cases in the school.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

kali.mist wrote: »

I don't think folks realise what this virus does to the body even if it does not kill. "Kids need to be in School". Kids need to be safe and not physically damaged for the rest of their lives. A missed couple of months of education hardly compares.

The longer term effects of the virus seem to be very much an exception rather than the norm for sufferers at present. It's still very early in the life cycle of the virus so the long term effects may become more of an issue or equally become less of an issue.

It will be a long time before this is fully understood, do you plan to keep your kids out of school until there is a vaccine?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SteM wrote: »
    That's not what we were told regarding suspected cases.

Because the “ guidelines “ don’t believe that in aerosol transmission , despite the huge body of research that says otherwise .
    The pods idea is a ploy to convince parents schools will be “ safe ,” in reality , it’s exactly the same way schools have run for decades - having table groups .
    Considering how head lice and tummy bugs spread through a class , Covid is going to be rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

RoryMac wrote: »
    The longer term effects of the virus seem to be very much an exception rather than the norm for sufferers at present. It's still very early in the life cycle of the virus so the long term effects may become more of an issue or equally become less of an issue.

It will be a long time before this is fully understood, do you plan to keep your kids out of school until there is a vaccine?

If the schools are not shut in the next two months and things seem to be safe, then he goes back. I am not willing to engage in an "experiment". Thats selfish of course, but as you can see there are many that are glad to see the kids going back to school for one reason or another so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Minier81 wrote: »
    I believe they had made provision for the "very high risk" category but not for the "high risk" category. The "high risk" category is 25% of the population.....they are to take extra care whereas the very high risk are the cocooners.
    They haven't made provision for any distance learning to take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Lucky ours are within walking distance so no buses. Unless the HSE telling lies it does seem that kids just don't pass on the virus. Of course time will tell. Roll on the vaccine asap. They really looking forward to going back.

Did the HSE say that? Children are less likely to pass it on but they most definitely can. In fact they carry a higher viral load under the age of five but this doesn't necessarily translate into passing on a higher load

Because the “ guidelines “ don’t believe that in aerosol transmission , despite the huge body of research that says otherwise .
    The pods idea is a ploy to convince parents schools will be “ safe ,” in reality , it’s exactly the same way schools have run for decades - having table groups .
    Considering how head lice and tummy bugs spread through a class , Covid is going to be rampant.

here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSKoNGTR6Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

Leaving our three at home for the first 2 weeks to see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Feeling grand about them going back. Our schools have done as much as they can with the space available to them. Kids are happy to be going back. No anxiety around school or the virus which makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm always wary of someone that speaks with such certainty about something that hasn't happened yet tbh. We'll have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭tscul32

We're lucky with our particular situations. Have one going into 3rd class in a big school, 6 classes per year. But only 21 in his class and he's in a prefab so realistically may never need to set foot in the main school building. I drop and collect him so no bus. My other two are 1st and 3rd year but theirs is a new school and this year's intake will bring the numbers up to 120, 5 classes in all, 24 is the biggest and the prefab (temporary accommodation) rooms are a decent size. They'll walk or cycle to and from school. And they have lunch outside every day unless it's pouring. They're also putting a big emphasis on wellbeing, especially for the new 1st years. I just hope he can settle in ok with knowing noone else and little opportunity to make new friends. My third year has about 20 in his class but with higher/ordinary splits and options most classes will have around 10-12 students.
    If the secondary school had 1000 students I wouldn't be as ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

I have a 9-year-old in school in the North. He has a slight heart problem and Asthma. He is going in for two hours tomorrow. If I can help it, he won't be going in again until the schools are eventually closed due to the unavoidable disaster that is about to unfold. His mum (divorced) does not want him going in at all.
    I have a 15-year-old heading back on Friday here in the South to a school with about 1000 pupils, 30+ per class. He is going in for a couple of hours. He won't be going back in....etc.
    I don't think folks realise what this virus does to the body even if it does not kill. "Kids need to be in School". Kids need to be safe and not physically damaged for the rest of their lives. A missed couple of months of education hardly compares.

It's not a couple of months. They've been out since March.

You do what's best for your family. My kids need an education.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm always wary of someone that speaks with such certainty about something that hasn't happened yet tbh. We'll have to wait and see.

By then , it will be too late . Look at the likes of the Berlin school re-opening .

I’m not a prophet of doom, but someone who sees the reality .

Leaving our three at home for the first 2 weeks to see how it goes.

You won't see the consequences in two weeks. More like a month.

It's not a couple of months. They've been out since March.

You do what's best for your family. My kids need an education.

Obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yasmina

I've one going into 2nd year and another into 6th class.
    One day I'm glad they are going back, the next I'm worried.
    They would be more than happy to never go back to school.
    We live in a rural area so I think there is much less chance of the virus getting into our schools, but I think if it does get into a school, there is no doubt it will spread like wildfire.
    My eldest should be getting the school bus but I'm not letting him. I'm lucky to be able to drive him myself.

I wish we could use this time to really shake up the education system and make it fit for purpose.
    But I suppose the DoE have enough to be thinking about right now so that's not going to happen.

By then , it will be too late . Look at the likes of the Berlin school re-opening .

If you don't send them back to school now, when will you?

It will of course spread more but the kids will be fine.

They won't be fine if they are denied an education.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You mean the 5% of schools in Berlin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

That's not what we were told regarding suspected cases.

What were you told?

Obviously

Honestly, I've no problem if you and others like you keep your kids out of school.
    Means my kids won't have to watch their teacher on zoom.

But I think you're wrong and doing your kids a disservice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I’ve no doubt my son will be fine but if he gets sick and my husband catches it or my daughter does they won’t be fine. I value education but right now my priority is my family staying alive. We’ve already had two Covid deaths in our family one a healthy 49 year old so I am nervous. Education will still be there, at worst he can repeat the year

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

I think its a hot topic tbh and each family has to make the right decision for themselves and what they feel comfortable with.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I’ve no doubt my son will be fine but if he gets sick and my husband catches it or my daughter does they won’t be fine. I value education but right now my priority is my family staying alive. We’ve already had two Covid deaths in our family one a healthy 49 year old so I am nervous. Education will still be there, at worst he can repeat the year

When will he start repeating missed years?
    Sounds like you think this will be resolved next year.

When will he start repeating missed years?
    Sounds like you think this will be resolved next year.

I don’t care if he has to repeat multiple years or be home schooled until his Leaving once the family are ok

I think its a hot topic tbh and each family has to make the right decision for themselves and what they feel comfortable with.

Yes. But consider how difficult it will be to restart school after a year's absence.
    And who's to say it will only be a year.

Honestly, I've no problem if you and others like you keep your kids out of school.
    Means my kids won't have to watch their teacher on zoom.

But I think you're wrong and doing your kids a disservice.

Others like me? I work in pharma. The scientists I work with are quite scared. You are hardly blinding me with your science. I think you are trying to convince yourself about something. Best of luck with that. I hope you don't live to regret these "The kids will be fine" posts.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I don’t care if he has to repeat multiple years or be home schooled until his Leaving once the family are ok

So he should sacrifice the best years of his life for your fears.
    Personally I'd take my chances to let my kids live their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Not happening. Shyte plan that involves changing nothing but renaming classes/desks. Anyone wants to volunteer their children for this live medical experiment is welcome to, the state even encourages you to. I won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

i_surge wrote: »
    What were you told?

I want to be clear, were talking about suspected cases. We were told that if our child had symptoms we were to keep him home, call our GP and inform the school. We were told that no other child or parent in the class would be informed unless it was a confirmed case. So I don't see how one suspected case will mean the other 29 have to be sent home if they're not informing other kids or parents of suspected cases.

• Advertisement

So he should sacrifice the best years of his life for your fears.
    Personally I'd take my chances to let my kids live their lives.

Do you have high risk people in your home?

Advertisement