Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Dempo1 wrote: »
    LOL, I'd be fascinated to know we're holly got her culinary expertise, o wait, she doesn't need them, she's in the in crowd :)

Who is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

LOL, I'd be fascinated to know we're holly got her culinary expertise, o wait, she doesn't need them, she's in the in crowd :)

Buy a ham and slice it before you head off :)
    Wrap homemade fried rice in seaweed :)
    Put ice-cream between two biscuits :)

Dear God;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,965 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tim Marshall was a arrogant bore when on sky news, continues to be a bore now, infact tedious beyond belief

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Tim Marshall was a arrogant bore when on sky news, continues to be a bore now, infact tedious beyond belief

He's on the right show so.

He's on the right show so.

Absolutely and he's been on before, sounds like a gap filler for this show.

God it's been painful today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Oul Mr.Brennan must be rolling I’m his grave!

Bread rolling even :)

Both sound S*****, mother of God, how has a flag ship current affairs program descended into this crap

Both sound S*****, mother of God, how has a flag ship current affairs program descended into this crap

Shut up; I'm trying to listen to the daily nutritional piece.

Absolutely and he's been on before, sounds like a gap filler for this show.

God it's been painful today

The whole show is a gap filler,as is the slurry pit that's on before it.

Shut up; I'm trying to listen to the daily nutritional piece.

Apologies, I went to vacuum my stairs, felt it might be more interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Interested in doing a feature on that on the show tomorrow?

I think that was probably covered on the programme. Go with the threads, Dempo, wiith the threads.

This isn't intended to come across as sexist, because I think women are just as interested in politics as men are — but if the Claire Byrne team don't want to present a current-affairs programme, perhaps they shouldn't have applied to work for one.

Switched off today.

This used to be a staple of daily listening. Have switched to a BBC4 podcast ‐ their Today programme starts at 6am so I usually miss the first 2 hours

SpitfireIV wrote: »

Excellent idea, Suction during a pandemic :)

SpitfireIV wrote: »

We have a new contributor for the show, Claire.

What's their name?

Dempo.

I mean, their real name?

Ah sorry, it's Dempo1.

That's better. What sort of expertise have they got?

A blog about vacuuming the house, an Etsy shop that sells knitted Aran jumpers for Sindy Dolls, a Nu Skin business and two Twitter accounts.

Great, this is precisely what the show is built around!!! Get them on 3 days next week and tell them we pay appearance fees on Paypal or credit on their Asos account.

We have a new contributor for the show, Claire.

What's their name?

Dempo.

I mean, their real name?

Ah sorry, it's Dempo1.

That's better. What sort of expertise have they got?

A blog about vacuuming the house, an Etsy shop that sells knitted Aran jumpers for Sindy Dolls, a Nu Skin business and two Twitter accounts.

Great, this is precisely what the show is built around!!! Get them on 3 days next week and tell them we pay appearance fees on Paypal or credit on their Asos account.

I also do sewing :)

I also do sewing :)

You can talk about it in another slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,187 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I think that was probably covered on the programme. Go with the threads, Dempo, wiith the threads.

This isn't intended to come across as sexist, because I think women are just as interested in politics as men are — but if the Claire Byrne team don't want to present a current-affairs programme, perhaps they shouldn't have applied to work for one.

Switched off today.

This used to be a staple of daily listening. Have switched to a BBC4 podcast ‐ their Today programme starts at 6am so I usually miss the first 2 hours

Nick Robinson and Mishal Hussein were on this morning......just for info..;)

Nick Robinson and Mishal Hussein were on this morning......just for info..;)
    Yeah, not ideal. They're still better than Morning Ireland.

Martha Kearney was my alarm-clock last week. Intelligent, under-rated broadcaster. Easy on the ears, too.

Martha Kearney was my alarm-clock last week. Intelligent, under-rated broadcaster. Easy on the ears, too.

True, and there’s really no comparison between Morning Ireland and BBC R4’s Today programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

True, and there’s really no comparison between Morning Ireland and BBC R4’s Today programme.

Do you all not find that option just too (naturally) UK focused? I dip in and out of the BBC news channel but I want to get Irish stories/perspectives too.

I gave up on CB's version of this show a couple of months ago...a shame to give up on a show I listened to for years, but it's just fecking awful now imo...back full-time to Pat Kenny again. I'm listening to Morning Ireland at the moment and even that's become hard going at times (especially Aine Lawlor's 'banter').

• Advertisement

Cole wrote: »
    Do you all not find that option just too (naturally) UK focused? I dip in and out of the BBC news channel but I want to get Irish stories/perspectives too.

I gave up on CB's version of this show a couple of months ago...a shame to give up on a show I listened to for years, but it's just fecking awful now imo...back full-time to Pat Kenny again. I'm listening to Morning Ireland at the moment and even that's become hard going at times (especially Aine Lawlor's 'banter').
    There were a few good segments on CB this week. But it's not worth sifting through the dross.
    As for BBC4's Today programme.. it is a bit UK focused, but we have no option but to take an interest in the UK, having to share this island with them. As I read your post, I was listening to a segment on the possibility of a United Ireland. They also have a strong focus on world affairs, without that thing we do here... find the Irish angle on absolutely everything... "what does the Indian corona spike mean for Ireland?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

There were a few good segments on CB this week. But it's not worth sifting through the dross.
    As for BBC4's Today programme.. it is a bit UK focused, but we have no option but to take an interest in the UK, having to share this island with them. As I read your post, I was listening to a segment on the possibility of a United Ireland. They also have a strong focus on world affairs, without that thing we do here... find the Irish angle on absolutely everything... "what does the Indian corona spike mean for Ireland?"

Fair enough, but while they may have a strong focus on world affairs, Ireland doesn't usually fit into that. Most of my work life (whether living there or not) has had a connection with the UK, so I always take an interest in the news/politics/programmes there. But the level of indifference and often ignorance of Irish news or issues is very stark. Yes we have to share an island, so it would nice to see a bit more of an interest/understanding of what's going on here.

You'd have to wonder what is the point of cabinet meetings, Journalists seem to have all the info we'll in advance of any actual decisions.

Surprised Claire didn't start the show with a 15 minute segment on Helen McEntees great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

"Are you worried that a precedent has been set that the Government can close down your business at the drop of a hat, and that you have no guarantee at all that they will not shut you down one day after they permit you to open?"

"Are you worried that a precedent has been set that the Government can close down your business at the drop of a hat, and that you have no guarantee at all that they will not shut you down one day after they permit you to open?"

I'd kinda missed these bitchy restaurant and pub owners, moaning and whinging. No doubt Adrian" moaner in chief " Cummins from the RAI will be either on or texting in.

Philip doesn't appear have much info?

Surprised Claire didn't start the show with a 15 minute segment on Helen McEntees great news

There's still plenty of time.

There's still plenty of time.

Don't encourage her :)

Don't encourage her :)

You brought it up :):):).

• Advertisement

You brought it up :):):).