Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The biggest problem with people trying to purchase homes is that the council's around the country are buying most of the available houses,and they have blank cheques. This was never a thing in the past.

This shouldn't be happening. Councils are allowed to compete against investors but are meant to back off if mortgage approved purchasers are bidding. In a way, it's defeating the point of them buying properties in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If it's a crash then it's the quietest crash.

As you note, McWilliams noted that pension funds are all invested. If there's been a crash, why haven't the funds pulled out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

The biggest problem with people trying to purchase homes is that the council's around the country are buying most of the available houses,and they have blank cheques. This was never a thing in the past.

And REITs buying up whole apartment blocks. They never even go on sale for the FTB to bid on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This shouldn't be happening. Councils are allowed to compete against investors but are meant to back off if mortgage approved purchasers are bidding. In a way, it's defeating the point of them buying properties in the first place.

Well it is

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

A feature on everyone's favorite party piece.

That'll come handy during a time when parties are not allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

KaneToad wrote: »
    Listening to the Wetherspoons fella 'debating' McConkey yesterday was bizarre too.

Wait, what? Do you mean the owner of Witherspoons was on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I heard Shay Byrne this morning on about party pieces, and he mentored the Claire Byrne show later - I assumed he was joking :eek:

Apart from anything, what parties??? That's just torturing us :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

sligojoek wrote: »
    A feature on everyone's favorite party piece.

That'll come handy during a time when parties are not allowed

Coming up next; Claire and Shane on how to coordinate outfits on your BFF Zoom call.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ffs

A new low

She completely ignored the fact it was time for the news at 11 o’clock to instead do karaoke of a Gareth brooks song

It’s becoming more and more of a “zany anything goes” type of show.

Get rid of CB, she revels in this crap

Wait, what? Do you mean the owner of Witherspoons was on the show?

Yes and he sounded half drunk

He was referencing various medical authorities that mcconkey etc hadn’t heard of

• Advertisement

Yes and he sounded half drunk

He was referencing various medical authorities that mcconkey etc hadn’t heard of

I went back and had a listen. I am pretty sure he was making half of the stuff up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Not a mention of the guy he assaulted in the supermarket?

My word, the nkencho neighbours sound very annoyed with the nkenchos

You’d have to wonder why

Next up a feature on non alcoholic drinks and cocktails

It really has veered over to the “lifestyle magazine” type of show and away from news and current affairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

My word, the nkencho neighbours sound very annoyed with the nkenchos. You’d have to wonder why

I was curious about that as well. One woman was very vocal as to "Why are you carrying out the interview from here, why don't you carry it out from your NEW house?"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just a few phrases that stuck out for me on Today with CB....

"Genitals on the table"

"Eels"

"Introducting things slowly"

and

"Coming back tomorrow for two things"

And all this in one interview! :eek:

Coming up next; the best food trucks that you'll see out this weekend :rolleyes:

Coming up next; the best food trucks that you'll see out this weekend :rolleyes:

CB loves the handy “lightweight” segments.

At this stage I’d suggest she should move over to 2fm and focus on the lifestyle type stuff

and get a genuine news and current affairs presenter for the RTÉ 1 show.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

At this stage I’d suggest she should move over to 2fm and focus on the lifestyle type stuff

I hate myself for saying it but even Lottie Ryan would be a better option for the slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I hate myself for saying it but even Lottie Ryan would be a better option for the slot.
    Eh, no! She wouldn't!!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

CB belongs on an " afternoon yak " type " loose women " show , she is pure lifestyle fluff for "ladies who lunch" in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    CB belongs on an " afternoon yak " type " loose women " show , she is pure lifestyle fluff for "ladies who lunch" in Greystones

Move her to the 3pm slot. Him back to kids slot. Bring back the golf gate lad as a contractor. Sorted.

Move her to the 3pm slot. Him back to kids slot. Bring back the golf gate lad as a contractor. Sorted.

Or put Sarah McInerney back in the slot move. Give her Tubs hour as well. Claire goes to Rays slot.

Ray and Ryan leave the building. Million quid saved.

The woman from Waterford took a lot of prodding. She sounded suprised to be on radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Tomas Ryan from the ISAG was on the show earlier on the back of his letter to the IT today
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/mandatory-hotel-quarantine-is-controversial-for-good-reason-1.4538563?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fopinion%2Fletters%2Fmandatory-hotel-quarantine-is-controversial-for-good-reason-1.4538563

It's very informative to see RTE and the IT treating him as a leading authority on Covid who's only interested in 'fact based' analysis/debate despite the zero-covid leaks published on Gript. A very different side to ISAG appear in those transcripts but the MSM still treat them as honest brokers in all this and don't even mention the leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ray and Ryan leave the building. Million quid saved.
    Good God man, you’re on dangerous territory here.

Don’t you know that if you want to save a million quid, you’d be far better off firing twenty researchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pascal makes sense most of tge time but this mind boggling defence of US corporations taking the tax p*** is just extraordinary, we have to be a laughing stock worldwide when they see the amount of money being shipped out tax free. Jesus wept even a fraction of what's being ignored would go a long way to reducing our deficit.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Pascal makes sense most of tge time but this mind boggling defence of US corporations taking the tax p*** is just extraordinary, we have to be a laughing stock worldwide when they see the amount of money being shipped out tax free. Jesus wept even a fraction of what's being ignored would go a long way to reducing our deficit.

Dead right.... we should just use our car industry, our iron and steel industry, our oil and gas reserves which are limitless and not forgetting our extensive burgeoning aircraft industry to employ our population and provide good well paid professional jobs.

We would of course prefer to play to our weaknesses, struggle through through life in a haze of drabness while the rest of Europe understands what they have and most important what they have not.

Paschal gets it right most of the time ...understands...and implements.

These people of keep bringing up US multinationals don’t even attempt to outline how our country would even start at providing good jobs and conditions for those hundreds of thousands employed by them.

The politics of misery is all they aspire to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Dead right.... we should just use our car industry, our iron and steel industry, our oil and gas reserves which are limitless and not forgetting our extensive burgeoning aircraft industry to employ our population and provide good well paid professional jobs.

We would of course prefer to play to our weaknesses, struggle through through life in a haze of drabness while the rest of Europe understands what they have and most important what they have not.

Paschal gets it right most of the time ...understands...and implements.

These people of keep bringing up US multinationals don’t even attempt to outline how our country would even start at providing good jobs and conditions for those hundreds of thousands employed by them.

The politics of misery is all they aspire to.

There's no doubting the importance of US multinationals, I just get a sense we get these all to regular announcements Billions of taxable profits being shipped out of the country, it seems to undermine the spirit of fairness and indeed tax policy, there's a sense of sneakyness going on which ultimately feeds those who resent US multinationals, I certainly don't but admit to being annoyed at stories such as Googles last week, particularly when the country on its knees due to the pandemic.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement