Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I'm getting sick of this ''encourage more women into politics'' from what I can see there is no shortage of women trying to jump on the this very well paid job, Chu a typical example.

What job can you walk into and get €100,000 plus another €50,000 expenses a year without any qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,958 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Poor Claire must have found nature on her Easter Break

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

O God no, Abigal, hand cream, Claire won't stop now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I'm looking forward to letting Catherine Martin know at the next election, why I will never vote for her, or the Greens again! I hope I remember:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Can't see, can't bee

• Advertisement

I heard Home Economics classes concentrating on Humble Pie recipes for the week :)

Neck Stretching an excellent exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Poor Claire must have found nature on her Easter Break

Is she a nun...?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Never thought I’d hear Macca on Claire Byrne.

Never thought I’d hear Macca on Claire Byrne.

I'd rather not, he's made some silly comments in the past. I'd say there's steam coming from his rather large head listening to Professor Sam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I wonder how Claire manages her kids at home whenever she can't get through to David Coleman for his guidance.

I wonder how Claire manages her kids at home whenever she can't get through to David Coleman for his guidance.

I think he au pair's for her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

NIMAN wrote: »
    I hate this talk that Covid has had more effect on women and those from minorities in Ireland.

Where is the data to prove this? This crap shouldn't go unchallenged.
    Have we got stats for the 4500 that died with Covid? Would be interesting to see if it proves her point.
    I'd guess it wouldn't.

You'd think Covid has zero effect on white Irish men.

Unfortunately this sexism drivel has been going on with her show since she started. Its hard to know if its her or the producers that have the agenda, probably a combination of both.

She would do well to remember that white Irish men contribute considerably to her fat wages and expenses. And if she dislikes us so much, she'd be welcome to try her hand at the bbc for a fraction of her overpaid wages. Probably wouldn't last long there either considering the low standard she has set for this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

mgn wrote: »
    I'm getting sick of this ''encourage more women into politics'' from what I can see there is no shortage of women trying to jump on the this very well paid job, Chu a typical example.

What job can you walk into and get €100,000 plus another €50,000 expenses a year without any qualifications.

Depending on your surname you could try RTE ;)

NIMAN wrote: »
    I hate this talk that Covid has had more effect on women and those from minorities in Ireland.

Where is the data to prove this? This crap shouldn't go unchallenged.
    It's here
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/sic19wm/socialimpactofcovid-19onwomenandmenapril2020/

Elsewhere the ESRI has predicted that men in will lose more disposable income than women, due to Covid, in all except the lowest income quantiles; but this is because men had higher employment than women and higher salaries than women who were employed, in the first place.

The research is certainly there in abundance, it's probably just difficult for people to convey statistical tables on the radio.

It's here
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/sic19wm/socialimpactofcovid-19onwomenandmenapril2020/

Elsewhere the ESRI has predicted that men in will lose more disposable income than women, due to Covid, in all except the lowest income quantiles; but this is because men had higher employment than women and higher salaries than women who were employed, in the first place.

The research is certainly there in abundance, it's probably just difficult for people to convey statistical tables on the radio.

Is that report from April 2020? If so, it's out of date.

We still have tens of thousands of men out of work since January in construction

And a report based on how men/women answer is not accurate. We need facts, not feelings.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Is that report from April 2020? If so, it's out of date.

We still have tens of thousands of men out of work since January in construction

It was at the height of the restrictions, when there was a 2km limit, and almost everybody was out of work. It was the ideal time to capture public mood.

If its out of date, it's because lockdown has been significantly loosened.

Anyway, it isn't for us to resolve that question, just whether the person making the claim on radio had evidence to substantiate their claim about a disproportionate impact on women. They may be wrong, but it was unlikely a view that was plucked from the air. There are many wonderful documents on the ESRI, CSO and Eurostat websites where people can form a view, if anyone is so inclined

It was at the height of the restrictions, when there was a 2km limit, and almost everybody was out of work. It was the ideal time to capture public mood.

If its out of date, it's because lockdown has been significantly loosened.

Anyway, it isn't for us to resolve that question, just whether the person making the claim on radio had evidence to substantiate their claim about a disproportionate impact on women. They may be wrong, but it was unlikely a view that was plucked from the air. There are many wonderful documents on the ESRI, CSO and Eurostat websites where people can form a view, if anyone is so inclined

The pandemic wasn't just April 2020.

If literally everyone was stuck at home in their 2km for exercise, how could women be worse affected? Only thing that I would say is they suffer more in domestic abuse, but that's still a tiny tiny % of the overall population.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think her simple statement of "women and minorities have suffered more during Covid" does a huge disservice to everyone else in society who has found this last year incredibly hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Pussyhands wrote: »
    The pandemic wasn't just April 2020.

If literally everyone was stuck at home in their 2km for exercise, how could women be worse affected? Only thing that I would say is they suffer more in domestic abuse, but that's still a tiny tiny % of the overall population.

I heard an argument ( I am not making this up and not going looking for the link) that as men were more likely to die from covid than women (currently 1.3 : 1), women were being disproportionally impacted by covid stemming from the loss of partners, help with children etc. You can't argue the logic, but...............!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

There really is no accountability for RTE in any of this. They had a HSE representatives on a few weeks back saying "All vaccines are safe, you should take whichever one you are offered". Why are they not bringing that person back on to account for their advice? RTE are far too deferential to the HSE white coats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

There really is no accountability for RTE in any of this. They had a HSE representatives on a few weeks back saying "All vaccines are safe, you should take whichever one you are offered". Why are they not bringing that person back on to account for their advice? RTE are far too deferential to the HSE white coats.

Some of those reps and their friends in rte were almost cultlike with their pleas to "get that needle into your arm"

You'd swear Simon is paying for this, an absolute disgrace, my blood staring to boil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Scientists following the most up-to-date science and updated evidence - hang 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Claire is back and so are all the vested intetests.

How is Danny from IBEC allowed argue on air with a medical expert. Danny on air in reaction to a tweet send by Simon Coveneys brother....

I have lost count of how many times Danny has used the word Dubious.

Now Eoghan 'I am not a vested interest ' Corry is now on air......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Eoghan the clown Corry talking rubbish

Why is he given such generous air time

A pompous wind bag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Infoanon wrote: »
    Claire is back and so are all the vested intetests.

How is Danny from IBEC allowed argue on air with a medical expert. Danny on air in reaction to a tweet send by Simon Coveneys brother....

I have lost count of how many times Danny has used the word Dubious.

Now Eoghan 'I am not a vested interest ' Corry is now on air......

Listening to the Wetherspoons fella 'debating' McConkey yesterday was bizarre too.

McWilliams is a spoofer.

He was saying there's a bubble in commercial property in 2019...where's the crash Mc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The biggest problem with people trying to purchase homes is that the council's around the country are buying most of the available houses,and they have blank cheques. This was never a thing in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Advertisement