Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2020 purchases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,187 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Wow, ordered books on Friday evening from Amazon and just got a notification that they've been delivered! That is some turnaround!! Puts some of the local retailers to shame.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What I will say for local small businesses. Keep an ear to the ground on what’s going well on Instagram.

So far last week I’ve bought from a online sweet shop, candle shop and a place that does BEAUTIFUL hand embroidered reindeers.

The candle place was so busy they opened a shop. The sweet shop started cause of someone losing their job from Covid now have 30k followers on Instagram and the reindeers are completely sold out online.

There are so very creative people who are using Covid as a chance to do something they love doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Loughc wrote: »
    What I will say for local small businesses. Keep an ear to the ground on what’s going well on Instagram.

So far last week I’ve bought from a online sweet shop, candle shop and a place that does BEAUTIFUL hand embroidered reindeers.

The candle place was so busy they opened a shop. The sweet shop started cause of someone losing their job from Covid now have 30k followers on Instagram and the reindeers are completely sold out online.

There are so very creative people who are using Covid as a chance to do something they love doing.

Are you not allowed give their details here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Looking to pick up some matching family Christmas pyjamas this year (I know..:p) for us parents + kids + baby. Anyone see anything reasonably priced?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

vicwatson wrote: »
    Are you not allowed give their details here ?

Candle is Designer Soy Wax Melts on Instagram

Sweet shop is Sweet King Co.

Reindeers is Bestoke Embroidery and Printing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Looking to pick up some matching family Christmas pyjamas this year (I know..:p) for us parents + kids + baby. Anyone see anything reasonably priced?

OH got ours in Dunnes a couple of weeks ago. Not sure if they are still for sale now till December, maybe on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Bawnmore wrote: »

I saw lovely ones on the george/asda website. The oh (the grinch) has zero interest in matching pjs , so never followed up on it. The downside is delivery fees and takes about a week to process. The quality of their clothes is grand, I got the school uniforms from them as they were the cheapest and I didn't expect the schools to stay open. Also a few other bits, in and out of the tumble dryer no problems.

I think h&m also had some.

Penney's usually do them, depending on how brave you are in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Loughc wrote: »

Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp............:mad:

Its a minefield to stay up to date with what is happening locally with businesses and the various social media outlets they are using. Most if not all have neglected their basic web presence and have not updated them in years. If I google my local town and Christmas decorations I get nothing back. Thats when I head off to the results that google gives to me.

krissovo wrote: »
    Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp............:mad:

Its a minefield to stay up to date with what is happening locally with businesses and the various social media outlets they are using. Most if not all have neglected their basic web presence and have not updated them in years. If I google my local town and Christmas decorations I get nothing back. Thats when I head off to the results that google gives to me.

It’s quicker, easy and cheaper for local businesses to keep going on an Instagram account. I do agree they miss a lot of search engine trade.

But most of these guys have enough through Instagram DMs to keep them busy all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

After getting himself another pressie
    Only 2 left for him now will hold put for special offers for aftershave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

If you haven’t already, check out Craft shapes Ireland, they have the most beautiful stock, I’ve ordered quite a few bits off them and they are stunning. They are so busy they are closing their order book tonight to try catch up. Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

bladespin wrote: »
    Where did you find it? BTW GWS.

Thanks

There were two I looked at beercloud.ie And another one at Martins off-licence.ie

Hope he likes it.

Ordered my wrapping supplies from Dunnes, I am hoping my order does not get cancelled at a later date, as it already happened with a gift

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

Got Christmas jumpers for the twins

https://www2.hm.com/en_ie/productpage.0696991067.html

Also got a couple of garlands from small business in kilkenny.

https://thesnugroom.ie/collections/christmas/products/red-berries-and-leaves-garland

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

pc7 wrote: »
    If you haven’t already, check out Craft shapes Ireland, they have the most beautiful stock, I’ve ordered quite a few bits off them and they are stunning. They are so busy they are closing their order book tonight to try catch up. Highly recommend them.
    I got two lovely signs with personalisation and lights but they seem to be gone from the site now. But there are lots of nice bits, both finished and for DIY crafters on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

L'prof wrote: »
    Looking for Christmas stockings this year for the four of us. I’ve found a few potentials but wondering if anybody has found anything really nice

Just received an order from a company based in Clare. Wowwee.ie.
    Not my first order and very happy. I've sent a few as new born gifts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can i ask you if you were waiting long for delivery from wowee ? I ordered something 10 days ago and not a sign of it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

For any Lidl fans out there.....they may have to postpone the launch date though given clothes are 'non-essential'

For some strange reason I like the Christmas jumper...

OMG! hahahaha. I love lidl but hahahahaha no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Can i ask you if you were waiting long for delivery from wowee ? I ordered something 10 days ago and not a sign of it yet

Not at all. About 5 working days. Have you emailed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Their name is apt anyway. As I was looking through their page of stockings I literally said wow!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Their stockings are fab looking, alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

The tree is now decorated and the Christmas villages are perched on a high shelf away from grabby little baby paws. I'm going to hold off on doing the windows (Stickers, Spray and I always draw a snowflakes and pictures etc with washable markers) until later in the month. 4 year old is still not satisfied though, and wants the old tree (also a 7 footer) to be placed next to new tree (so it doesn't get lonely!) or to be in the kitchen!

On topic, bought some selection boxes and advent calendars. Milky Bar for the baby, and Galaxy for me, and Maltesers reindeer one for himself.

I'm making one for the 4 year old and picked up a nice fill yerself one for €3 from Tiger before lockdown this one. Going to get a few blind bags of current interest (PJ masks, Lego mini figs, minions etc), some chocolate coins and some mini bags of haribo to pop in. I'm not sure what else to put in though as I want to keep a little bit of variety and surprise. Thought maybe a little decoration for the tree or something might be good but drawing a blank beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Not at all. About 5 working days. Have you emailed them?

Thank you I will do that today so .

PS .I mailed them and they said they are working day and night to get the personalised gifts ready and delivered . They are inundated with orders this year

The tree is now decorated and the Christmas villages are perched on a high shelf away from grabby little baby paws. I'm going to hold off on doing the windows (Stickers, Spray and I always draw a snowflakes and pictures etc with washable markers) until later in the month. 4 year old is still not satisfied though, and wants the old tree (also a 7 footer) to be placed next to new tree (so it doesn't get lonely!) or to be in the kitchen!

On topic, bought some selection boxes and advent calendars. Milky Bar for the baby, and Galaxy for me, and Maltesers reindeer one for himself.

I'm making one for the 4 year old and picked up a nice fill yerself one for €3 from Tiger before lockdown this one. Going to get a few blind bags of current interest (PJ masks, Lego mini figs, minions etc), some chocolate coins and some mini bags of haribo to pop in. I'm not sure what else to put in though as I want to keep a little bit of variety and surprise. Thought maybe a little decoration for the tree or something might be good but drawing a blank beyond that.

What about a hot chocolate stick, the stir in ones?

Posy wrote: »
    Their stockings are fab looking, alright!

Gorgeous aren't they
    Love the personalised family advent too

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Don’t suppose anyone has sourced the Hot Choc Bombs? 6 year old desperate for one. I was planning to make myself if necessary but not sure I’ll be up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

polydactyl wrote: »
    Don’t suppose anyone has sourced the Hot Choc Bombs? 6 year old desperate for one. I was planning to make myself if necessary but not sure I’ll be up to it

Holland and Barrett selling them for 2.99 with marshmallows in them too.
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/mummy-meagz-the-bursting-bauble-vegan-hot-chocolate-triple-60045425?skuid=045945

Great thanks :)

polydactyl wrote: »

I heard about these on RTE radio this morning https://torcchocolates.ie/collections/christmas/products/torc-megga-hotchocolate-bomb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I've about 70% of my Christmas gifts bought now, all of them from local Irish shops. I've been browsing the Facebook page 'Shop in Ireland'. I never realised how many little businesses we have in this country. I hope they take this year as a lesson and increase their online presence.

I got glass Christmas baubles from the Irish Handmade Glass Co in Waterford. They are absolutely beautiful and really cheap for the quality.

I also got some handmade funny Christmas cards from an Irish Etsy seller called Pickled PomPom. They are a bit cheeky but I'm hoping they will make people laugh when they get them!

Advertisement