Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2020 purchases

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

leahyl wrote: »
    That's so nice.....and You're after leading me towards [URL="http:///www.dunnesstores.com/p/3-robin-on-branch/7137275"]this[/URL] and I think I'll have to have it :pac:

Ok I also saw a robin cushion by Carolyn Donnelly and when I went back to look at it again it was gone!

Go for it, they are gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

I've got about half of the shopping done so far, the wife has been spoilt this year! Got her a brand new dressing table from IKEA and one of these hollywood mirrors she has been wanting for years! Feeling proud of myself. I am at a loss when it comes to presents for my 50 year old dad and 30 year old brother, anyone got any ideas? Budget of around 250 - 300 per person. Really wanted to get my brother one of these Gucci duffel bags but waaaay out of budget https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/men/bags-for-men/duffle-bags-for-men/gg-black-carry-on-duffle-p-474131K5IAN1095

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

pinking wrote: »
    I've got about half of the shopping done so far, the wife has been spoilt this year! Got her a brand new dressing table from IKEA and one of these hollywood mirrors she has been wanting for years! Feeling proud of myself. I am at a loss when it comes to presents for my 50 year old dad and 30 year old brother, anyone got any ideas? Budget of around 250 - 300 per person. Really wanted to get my brother one of these Gucci duffel bags but waaaay out of budget https://www.gucci.com/uk/en_gb/pr/men/bags-for-men/duffle-bags-for-men/gg-black-carry-on-duffle-p-474131K5IAN1095

Are they into beer or wine, you could get an advent calendar and then something smaller for the 25th?

If either are into coffee what about a coffee subscription from an irish business - lasts all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Are they into beer or wine, you could get an advent calendar and then something smaller for the 25th?

If either are into coffee what about a coffee subscription from an irish business - lasts all year.

Good shout with the coffee subscription! Both my dad and brother are huge coffee fans! Still got a lot of budget left though, wondering if I should go down the fragrance route too. Not sure if should get loads of little presents or spend the rest quickly on a bottle of Tom Ford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

I am at a loss when it comes to presents for my 50 year old dad and 30 year old brother, anyone got any ideas?

What type of music is your brother into, my brother's 31 and a big rock fan so have gotten him a hoodie and t-shirt of two rock bands that he follows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Just waiting on the last few orders of sports wear and Santa is done. The only thing outstanding will be to pay the balance on the bike and collect it.

I am raging because I know my teen has been snooping. We have the stuff locked in the smaller sitting room and hubby was suppose to hide the key but he left it on his desk. Little brat must have gotten it when we were out for a walk. I dont know why he wants to ruin his own surprise. But ill be furious if he tells the younger guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oh excellent thanks, picking up a six month subscription for ps coffee roasters for my sister! They got a new bean to cup so it’s perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Picked up my Xmas tree today... Is there a point in putting it in the attic surely it's nearly time to put it up 🙂
    Also has anyone had a snowy tree like that,what lights did you put on? Would love the ice white ones but they have black wires,will it be very noticeable on the tree? Can you get lights with white wires?

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Picked up my Xmas tree today... Is there a point in putting it in the attic surely it's nearly time to put it up 🙂
    Also has anyone had a snowy tree like that,what lights did you put on? Would love the ice white ones but they have black wires,will it be very noticeable on the tree? Can you get lights with white wires?

It really depends on your preference, I know someone who has multi coloured lights for their snowy tree and it looks gorgeous :) ice white would work really well too!
    For my own non snowy tree I have warm white lights, and I tuck the wire in between the braches and have the lights just peeking out.

Lashes28 wrote: »

Oh that's my tree that got delegated after baba. ....I just used the white chaser lights. Genesis and newbridge decorations.

The flocking goes absolutely everywhere so I hope you've wooden floors. Also watch what you are wearing while decorating.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lights for the home office. Christmas Duvet. Candle and projector bought on home store and more website.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭Alkers

You'd have to give us some idea of their interests and hobbies etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lucylou2020

Ok, excuse the awkward post , but this M and S beauty box offer is well worth investment, using the steps outlined

I tried this but the code must have expired or M&S must have realised and changed it? Super discount though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Oh that's my tree that got delegated after baba. ....I just used the white chaser lights. Genesis and newbridge decorations.

The flocking goes absolutely everywhere so I hope you've wooden floors. Also watch what you are wearing while decorating.

Ha! I only had pop up trees for the last few years because of the kids. They are 4 and 5 now so decided to go the whole hog and get a big tree and loads of new decorations. Went for a blush pink theme on my decorations. Thanks so much for your tips xx

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Louis Copeland have a beautiful leather duffel bag that I got for my husband last year. They often do discount codes too and I got it for 20% off. Pity he had nowhere to go this year to wear it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭Jude13

I got two duffel bags in the past 10 years. I travel weekly (pre covid) for work so they had to put the work in, I splashed out on a Mulberry leather weekender which didn't last 10 months, all for show. Then I bought a BRICS weekender which after over 9 years is still going strong and looks better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I had ordered a lovely deer decoration but Dunnes refunded me as it wasn't in stock...so I just bought this instead :) A present to me, from me- the best kind :)

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/wooden-village/7137292?colour=White

jellybear wrote: »
    I had ordered a lovely deer decoration but Dunnes refunded me as it wasn't in stock...so I just bought this instead :) A present to me, from me- the best kind :)

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/wooden-village/7137292?colour=White

That is fab!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Christmas Newbridge Silverwear Advent candle- Arnotts Click and Collect.
    Bought one for a friend abroad, for a gift, and one for me as a gift to me from me. :D

H5N0GAV.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    ... and one for me as a gift to me from me. :D

Second time i heard this today. These are the best presents :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I bought some decorations for myself from https://www.stakelums.ie/. Excellent service - they were with me within two days. They've some lovely unique like pieces. I bought these:

https://www.stakelums.ie/p/polka-santa-xl/2530045

https://www.stakelums.ie/p/polka-frosty-xl/2530046

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Order gone in for some Christmas themed Yankee candles along with a Christmas Duvet set & candle holders

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Slime Princess

Took the plunge and bought a new Christmas tree. After 12 years our old one is looking pretty threadbare and more than a little bit worse for wear. It was pre lit but shed its lights about 2 years ago and bits just keep coming off. We use to just hurl all of our decorations at it and it would cover it but last year I had to fill the gaps with lots of garlands and tinsel just so we couldn't see through it.

This year with a grabby 13month old who loves to shove everything in his mouth and is incredibly strong for a baby, we can't just risk putting all the bits we would have done in previous years so new tree it had to be. Not sure how I'm going to keep the baba away from the tree but we have a play pen currently guarding the tv so it might have to become a room devider!

Anyways rambling! I had to buy it unseen as I'm in several high risk groups for covid complications and so is my husband, so bought this one from Amazon. Seems to have decent reviews and a high tip count (and most importantly fit the budget).

Looks like a nice tree, well wear.

Our tree is only 5 years old but seems to shed a lot for a fake tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We used a baby playpen to section off the tree for the first couple of years

Picked one up on adverts with metal bars, 6 sided and then wedged it behind couches to section off a part of the room so baby couldn’t pull it all down.

Last year our 1 year old was not interested. This yeas will be a real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We used a baby playpen to section off the tree for the first couple of years

Picked one up on adverts with metal bars, 6 sided and then wedged it behind couches to section off a part of the room so baby couldn’t pull it all down.

We have had to deploy the fire guard in front of ours in previous years.

Never had one come down, so far!!

Jude13 wrote: »
    Last year our 1 year old was not interested. This yeas will be a real test.

Ours have shown no interest at all.

The eldest was afraid of it, he was also afraid of grass, so never went near it.

Even with chocolate decorations on the tree they will gingerly pick one off and scarper.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

This will also be my first Christmas in a new house with wife and kids. We've rented for the last few years but now we've a place we can call our own :)

I'm glad that earlier posters got what they wanted on Dunnes Stores, everything I seem to look at is out of stock ! Guess I'll have to be up at 5 every morning from now on, hammering F5 :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ours have shown no interest at all.

Same. other than grabbing a couple of low hanging baubles at the age of 2 ours always more or less left the tree alone, thankfully!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement