Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Main St one way

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

There is a very clear and obvious trend of other people bigging up very minor changes because they just don't like the idea of providing safe facilities for cyclists.
    Only in your head Andrew! cyclists are welcome to safe areas but the solutions to problems in south Dublin have the appearance of being done to penalise other road users, not just provide safety to cyclists. Maybe that's only in my head....
    I've got ignorant responses here (not from yourself) by bringing up frankly stupid changes to parking in Killiney hill, and then the lie about alternate parking 10 minute walk "to get to my walk", when google maps shows 20 each way. Suck up 40 mins lost time. So shoe on the other foot a lot of stuff affecting drivers and quality of life is being poo poo'd as miniscule complaints of someone "needing hand holding"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

This afternoon’s route 14 randomiser saw one departure take 7 mins to Ballinteer from Dundrum (RTPI had originally suggested 12 mins).

I just missed it and had to wait 21 mins at the stop for the next one which took 13 mins for the same trip.

So much for using RTPI.

This is the “new normal” that bus users should get used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

LXFlyer wrote: »
    This afternoon’s route 14 randomiser saw one departure take 7 mins to Ballinteer from Dundrum (RTPI had originally suggested 12 mins).

I just missed it and had to wait 21 mins at the stop for the next one which took 13 mins for the same trip.

So much for using RTPI.

This is the “new normal” that bus users should get used to.

Wait till we have people back to work and this poxy covid is gone ....

Imagine how shocking it will be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,501 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Here's an example from this morning.

The 14 leaves the terminus at 10.30.
    528751.jpg

At the time that it leaves the terminus, it is showing as due at Wesley stop at 10.37.
    528752.jpg

It gets to the Wesley stop at 10.39, two minutes outside scheduled arrival time.
    528753.jpg

If the RTPI isn't working, then you fix the RTPI. You don't get to veto infrastructural developments that will benefit tens of thousands of people because your bus schedule is changing.

No, the problem is that the journey time is now variable between Dundrum and Ballinteer, whereas previously it was pretty much constant. I just want a reliable bus service. You can throw as many one-off examples as you want at me, but the fact remains that the journey times are fluctuating, and I have had three waits of over 20 minutes as a result of it, due to one bus being faster than RTPI predicted or other buses being delayed. That didn't happen before. The problem is that the journey times aren't as predictable as they were. They vary randomly, and RTPI cannot predict that.

Where did I ever say that no works should have taken place? I didn't. You're actually again putting words into my mouth.

What I have advocated all along was that they should have had as a joint aim minimal impact on public transport, rather than rendering a previously reliable bus route unpredictable, removing LUAS connectivity and causing the various buses to Ballinteer to no longer all serve at least one common stop in Dundrum Village.

The obvious solution was to let the buses go south along the Main Street and build the cycle measures around that.

In other words reverse the one way traffic direction.

The 14 to Dundrum could do an anti-clockwise loop of Kilmacud Road Upper, Sydenham Road and Taney Road to the terminus at the LUAS stop. That would have minimal impact on the service reliability as it would be at the end of the route, and it would be doing three left turns, with only one of them signalled.

Towards Beaumont it could go straight up the Main Street and then right as before.

Kilmacud Road Upper would then be a through route westbound for cyclists only.

The 44/b, 75 and 175 would then also serve Main Street heading towards Enniskerry, Glencullen or Tallaght and all of them would serve the stops at the LUAS stop and opposite the Church.

If that means then reducing the on-street parking along the Main Street to facilitate cycle lanes then so be it, but it would mean that the impact on the buses would be minimised and cyclists get safer cycling routes.

• Advertisement

No point showing at 1030 when there is little traffic or passengers for that matter....

The service is now terrible and unreliable, going backwards to the way it use to be when the 14 and 14a would leave 5 minutes apart....

No point showing at 1030 when there is little traffic or passengers for that matter....

The service is now terrible and unreliable, going backwards to the way it use to be when the 14 and 14a would leave 5 minutes apart....

Please don’t remind of that awful schedule.

Thankfully it was a LONG time ago.

Two buses from either terminus within 10 mins of one another and then a 40 minute gap before the next one.

The scheduler never looked at the combined service - only each in isolation.

It had 48a buses sitting at the terminus for 45 mins too!

Woeful.

Was up in Dundrum today... wow what is with the wanton act of vandalism reducing the 2 lanes to one when approaching the Dundrum bypass from Dundrum road? It's definitely impeding progress seemingly for no advantage to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

love the changes to Dundrums public realm, massive improvement, well done to all in DLRCC

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was going to say, what does showing a bus schedule outside peak traffice prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No, you mentioned the traffic coming from Churchtown turning right onto the bypass. As I mentioned above, and as you can see in the video, the queue from Churchtown was precisely one tow truck.

And no, I won't be taking you or other people's words for it. I'll be looking myself, on my regular journeys in the area to see what's actually happening.

There is a very clear and obvious trend of other people bigging up very minor changes because they just don't like the idea of providing safe facilities for cyclists. With drivers like this around, the need for safe facilities has never been greater.

https://twitter.com/danmandunne/status/1314142226151354370

ive looked at this a few times, yes the driver was an idiot for trying to overtake where he did, but he/she wasnt going very fast and never got particulary close to the little girl on the bike, if the parents are that concerned they shouldnt have her cycling on a road like that with no dedicated cycle lane,

id walk my kids rather than risk that personally.

Was up in Dundrum today... wow what is with the wanton act of vandalism reducing the 2 lanes to one when approaching the Dundrum bypass from Dundrum road? It's definitely impeding progress seemingly for no advantage to anyone.

Be honest - what you really mean is "no advantage to me" (where 'me' = 'you'. There IS an advantage to me.

My missus just drove me through that junction about 10 minutes ago, coming up from Milltown, at peak time. Two lanes merged into one smoothly, without any delays or difficulties. What specific difficulty did you have coming through?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Would it not have been a better idea to run the 14 on the bypass and have the 175 run down Sydenham Road, Kilmacud Road Lower and Ballinteer Road.

GT89 wrote: »
    Would it not have been a better idea to run the 14 on the bypass and have the 175 run down Sydenham Road, Kilmacud Road Lower and Ballinteer Road.

The Dundrum bypass and Wyckham bypass can both be a traffic nightmare at peak times. Ballinteer Road is never congested between the Gort Mhuire roundabout and the roundabout at Barton Road. You could get a small traffic jam between the latter and the Dundrum Crossroads, but it was never anything major.

Hence the 14 was always the fastest bus route to/from Dundrum.

You also do still get people boarding/alighting at the stops along Ballinteer Road.

Be honest - what you really mean is "no advantage to me" (where 'me' = 'you'. There IS an advantage to me.
    No Andrew, they haven't changed the cycling infra there either, not that I could see? First time using it today it looked ridiculous.

No Andrew, they haven't changed the cycling infra there either, not that I could see? First time using it today it looked ridiculous.

The purpose of merging is to facilitate the one way system round the corner, and to signal to the idiots who missed the four signs that something has changed. It wasn't done for a laugh.

So other than it 'looking ridiculous' there was no actual traffic issue arising - good to know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alright lads, be civil and keep it on topic.

The purpose of merging is to facilitate the one way system round the corner, and to signal to the idiots who missed the four signs that something has changed. It wasn't done for a laugh.

So other than it 'looking ridiculous' there was no actual traffic issue arising - good to know.
    Yeah but delay to traffic using the bypass - seems counterprductive.
    Would you believe I was back down there this evening (17:30) we were going to Lawlors in Rathmines, it was backed up to the Mental again, she took a few photos while I was driving.

So of the 2 times I used it today, both times it was backed up to the Mental due to the merge and sequence changes. Where was the traffic while you were on Dundrum road, why do you think there was no impact?

PS why was your wife driving you towards Dundrum? Were you being drove up to buy your way out of the doghouse? :-)
    (like I had to do today)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Nasty car crash c midday today .... damaged car in middle of Taney/ Dundrum crossroads. No idea what happened and could not see second vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

You just want us all on pedal cycles don't you.....

As a bus driver, and also a regular bus passenger, I want more people on bikes (I don't care if they're propelled by pedals, electricity or a two-stroke engine) because they don't hog anywhere near as much public space as cars. There are far too many cars on the roads, and they have far too much of an impact on public transport.

I find Dundrum a far safer and easier place to drive a bus now. Quicker too. So much so that I always have to pull in, either on Ballinteer Rd or Taney Rd to lose whatever time I gained in the village.

• Advertisement

.anon. wrote: »
    As a bus driver, and also a regular bus passenger, I want more people on bikes (I don't care if they're propelled by pedals, electricity or a two-stroke engine) because they don't hog anywhere near as much public space as cars. There are far too many cars on the roads, and they have far too much of an impact on public transport.

I find Dundrum a far safer and easier place to drive a bus now. Quicker too. So much so that I always have to pull in, either on Ballinteer Rd or Taney Rd to lose whatever time I gained in the village.

I laughed,...

The buses are taking longer

I laughed,...

The buses are taking longer

The 75 isn't. It's also easier to drive a bus through the Main Street now, without having to dodge parked cars and wait for cars to give 'permission' to pull out of the bus stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

.anon. wrote: »
    The 75 isn't. It's also easier to drive a bus through the Main Street now, without having to dodge parked cars and wait for cars to give 'permission' to pull out of the bus stop.

Yes but the 14 travelling northbound has been sent around in an unpredictable loop. Not really such an issue for the 75. The 75 was quicker before it went to Go-Ahead as it stayed on Kilmacud Rd. Lower in both directions and did not serve the Main Street or Luas at all.

Personally I think changing the direction of one way traffic on the main street would be a good compromise as it means the 14 would not have to take such a lengthy diversion right at the start of the route.

Yeah but delay to traffic using the bypass - seems counterprductive.
    Would you believe I was back down there this evening (17:30) we were going to Lawlors in Rathmines, it was backed up to the Mental again, she took a few photos while I was driving.

So of the 2 times I used it today, both times it was backed up to the Mental due to the merge and sequence changes. Where was the traffic while you were on Dundrum road, why do you think there was no impact?

PS why was your wife driving you towards Dundrum? Were you being drove up to buy your way out of the doghouse? :-)
    (like I had to do today)

Here's how it looked Monday morning at 9am - no sign of anything backing up.

https://streamable.com/d8wvsh

And here's how it looked this morning at 9.15am, all clear;

https://streamable.com/lz074h

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

could someone tell me why the bus stop outside the church is in the middle of the road now instead of being in at the path ? Its not like there isnt plenty of room to make a proper pull in stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

RobAMerc wrote: »
    could someone tell me why the bus stop outside the church is in the middle of the road now instead of being in at the path ? Its not like there isnt plenty of room to make a proper pull in stop.

To give it priority, and it means when it does pull out it’ll be clear up to the lights. Makes more sense for the bus.

RobAMerc wrote: »

The days of public transport getting out of the way and ceding priority to private cars are hopefully on the way out. It means that buses no longer have to wait for some good Samaritan to give them 'permission' to pull out - or (as often happens) attempt to force their way out while some tosser in an Audi puts his foot down in the hope of preventing them from doing so.

Also, the vast majority of pull-in stops in this country are poorly designed and make it impossible to safely use the middle doors for disembarking.

Dundrum was a dream to navigate compared to most other places, the AIB bank spaces right outside were a pain and the tile van parked mostly in the loading bay, other then that never an issue at all

• Advertisement

Here's how it looked Monday morning at 9am - no sign of anything backing up.

https://streamable.com/d8wvsh

I can't believe you couldn't even cycle past the bike shop without looking in!
    Be interested to see what it's like around 17 - 18:00 some evenings. Friday was bad at that time. Maybe a one off thing.

Advertisement