Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Main St one way

Options
  • 15-08-2020 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

The Council have sprung this on us without much prior notice. Dundrum Main St is now one way city bound. Not only this, but it appears that traffic is now prohibited from going up the hill at the crossroads,( Stillorgan bound, past the Garda station). The Council claim that there is a bypass which can take the diverted traffic, but anyone familiar with the traffic situation at the roundabouts near the Dundrum Town Centre, particularly on wet weekends in the Winter, would avoid this area like the plague. The 14 bus will now have to follow a tortuous diversion route where before it was a straight run up the Main St. onto the Ballinteer road. The council claim this is in response to the Covid situation??? The logic of it eludes me, anyone else have an opinion on this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its unelected zealots not wasting a good crisis myself. My views are well documented in the 'Dun Laoghaire' thread and these town and village measures are supposed to be "temporary" but my own opinion is that businesses and locals are being railroaded by the cycling lobby operating within DLRC management.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I think it’s great. The village is bypassed and this will help make the village much more enticing for people to use rather than it being a rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Councillor Anne Colgan, part of a local pressure group - she canvassed the other county councillors , to vote this through.

Councillor Anne Colgan, part of a local pressure group - she canvassed the other county councillors , to vote this through.

Good to see an active Cllr. Fair play to her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

On the basis that 'it's an ill wind...' The new one-way system in Dundrum means that the outbound (towards Tallaght) 75 bus now continues down the hill instead of doing that crazy loop around Sydenham Road. Though the bus stop outside the Holy Cross school on the hill has been removed but the Go-Ahead drivers are letting people out at the bottom of the hill if the lights are red. Which makes getting to the Dundrum Centre a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

coylemj wrote: »
    On the basis that 'it's an ill wind...' The new one-way system in Dundrum means that the outbound (towards Tallaght) 75 bus now continues down the hill instead of doing that crazy loop around Sydenham Road. Though the bus stop outside the Holy Cross school on the hill has been removed but the Go-Ahead drivers are letting people out at the bottom of the hill if the lights are red. Which makes getting to the Dundrum Centre a lot easier.

Pure stupidity that is and only looking for trouble....

75 should never have been moved, all that did was add extra time onto an already long route....

Pure stupidity that is and only looking for trouble....

Letting people off at the crossroads? It's not dangerous at all, the traffic lane at that point is barely the width of the bus so when you step off, you're straight on to the footpath, there's absolutely no danger of getting hit by a bike on the inside because there's no room for one. And if the lights change, the driver won't move the bus until he closes the doors so how is it 'asking for trouble'?

Letting people off at the crossroads? It's not dangerous at all, the traffic lane at that point is barely the width of the bus so when you step off, you're straight on to the footpath, there's absolutely no danger of getting hit by a bike on the inside because there's no room for one. And if the lights change, the driver won't move the bus until he closes the doors so how is it 'asking for trouble'?

Is it a bus stop?

Is it a bus stop?

No it is not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

ted1 wrote: »
    I think it’s great. The village is bypassed and this will help make the village much more enticing for people to use rather than it being a rat run.

The Main St in Dundrum was not bad for traffic as it was, most went via the bypass. The new system involves a lot of unnecessary loops around and about, and as I mentioned earlier, I can no longer go up the hill at the crossroads, but I am now forced to go via the roundabout at the Dundrum Town centre, this particular route can be a nightmare for traffic at certain times. The new system also eliminates on street parking, including disabled spaces, and electric car charging spaces, to the detriment of local businesses, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

The Main St in Dundrum was not bad for traffic as it was, most went via the bypass. The new system involves a lot of unnecessary loops around and about, and as I mentioned earlier, I can no longer go up the hill at the crossroads, but I am now forced to go via the roundabout at the Dundrum Town centre, this particular route can be a nightmare for traffic at certain times. The new system also eliminates on street parking, including disabled spaces, and electric car charging spaces, to the detriment of local businesses, in my opinion.

It didn't suffer from high volumes of traffic, but legal on-street parking caused huge issues for buses. It's great that they've got rid of that particular scourge, and hopefully other towns and villages will follow suit. Also, turning at the crossroads was a nightmare for the 14 and 75 (going in either direction) because of poorly positioned cars.

Incidentally, nobody is being 'forced' to drive anywhere - especially in an area with decent public transport links.

You are not been forced to go anyway. There are alternative methods available.

What you need to do is look at your starting point and finishing point and see an alternative way of getting there. That differs from your previous route. Don’t try to use the old route.

As for disabled parking. , have to look at that. In Dalkey it’s being kept

The new system also eliminates on street parking, including disabled spaces, and electric car charging spaces, to the detriment of local businesses, in my opinion.

Looked up the parking. And afraid to say, that you are talking rubbish.

“ While on-street parking will be repositioned from the east to the west side of Main Street to help facilitate these necessary changes, the majority of standard on-street car parking spaces will be retained with the incorporation of a further disability car parking space, 2 new hybrid loading bay/car parking spaces and additional bike parking spaces which will be installed at various locations along Main Street and Sandyford Road. There is no net loss of car parking, with a better distribution through the village and improved accessibility to assist persons with mobility challenges, businesses for loading/unloading and people cycling in the village.”

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/transportation-infrastructure/dundrum-mobility-interventions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think its unelected zealots not wasting a good crisis myself. My views are well documented in the 'Dun Laoghaire' thread and these town and village measures are supposed to be "temporary" but my own opinion is that businesses and locals are being railroaded by the cycling lobby operating within DLRC management.

I have followed your posts on the Dun Laoghaire thread and always found them reasonable and well thought out. However given that the vast majority of the posts re Dun Laoghiare were about decline in business/lack of foot fall/death of the town/parking ect, do you not think it is time to try something different?

Could it be that in time Blackrock/Dun Laoghaire/Dundrum/Dalkey may be better places both for people and businesses. as a result of these changes?

If we don't at least try then we will never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

They certainly may be, but as I've said all along there are a few big indicators which will tell. And we will see the first of those in 2 weeks time when the schools return, doing so while public transport remains very restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

No it is not.....
    Then the driver is breaking the law and is liable for prosecution. The employer would also
    be justified in disciplining him/her. In the event of an accident Dublin Bus would be liable

Edgware wrote: »
    Then the driver is breaking the law and is liable for prosecution. The employer would also
    be justified in disciplining him/her. In the event of an accident Dublin Bus would be liable

Gai....

Nothing to do with db

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Gai....

Nothing to do with db
    Whichever bus company employs the driver will have liability through their insurance

Whichever bus company employs the driver will have liability through their insurance

db is insurance exempt.

If anything happens the person just claims anyway...
    Drivers shouldn't be opening themselves up to problems, if passengers want a stop then go apply for one to be fitted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Not breaking any law no more so than allowing someone to leave your car whilst stopped in traffic is against the law I'd imagine. Against company policy I'd imagine but company policy may allow for passengers to let off in exceptional circumstances.

The TFL big red book which is a guidebook isssued to London bus drivers says a driver can let passengers outside of a recognised bus stop in circumstances like diversions and heavy traffic. I would imagine the DB and GAI have similar rules to TFL.

• Advertisement

db is insurance exempt.

If anything happens the person just claims anyway...
    Drivers shouldn't be opening themselves up to problems, if passengers want a stop then go apply for one to be fitted.

Couldn't the driver claim they were being abusive and that was the reason why they let them out?

GT89 wrote: »
    Couldn't the driver claim they were being abusive and that was the reason why they let them out?

Hardly credible when 10 people get out at the same stop.

But the point you make about convenience where there are diversions or delays is valid and is precisely why the 75 (GA) drivers are letting people off at the bottom of the hill in Dundrum.

And as you point out, cars (especially taxis) drop people off anywhere they choose to. Even on clearways, where it is specifically illegal.

DB drivers have been letting people out at safe points for years and I have yet to hear about an RTA prosecution (if it's even an offence) or a civil case where someone was injured alighting and the fact that it was not an offficial stop was quoted as a contributory factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Can't say I like this change either. I completely agree that it is diverting traffic onto the already over congested Wyckham way (Road with the roundabouts) which is completely ridiculous.
    I don't think this new plan will facilitate businesses at all, it has hardly been pedestrianised to draw people down there, it is not any more attractive to those on foot. Obviously less people will drive down the street now. I have often driven down and spotted some thing new that enticed me to visit the village, this won't happen any more. Also there will be less people getting on/off buses there which will further reduce footfall. This feels to me like a forther nail in the dundrum coffin.

Such a pity, dundrum used to be such a thriving busy little village.

Hardly credible when 10 people get out at the same stop.

But the point you make about convenience where there are diversions or delays is valid and is precisely why the 75 (GA) drivers are letting people off at the bottom of the hill in Dundrum.

And as you point out, cars (especially taxis) drop people off anywhere they choose to. Even on clearways, where it is specifically illegal.

DB drivers have been letting people out at safe points for years and I have yet to hear about an RTA prosecution (if it's even an offence) or a civil case where someone was injured alighting and the fact that it was not an offficial stop was quoted as a contributory factor.

I'm not sure why they can't just let them out at the stop outside the school I mean all the stop infrastructure except the shelter are still there and it is safe place to let people on and off. As buses can safely pull in and still has the kassel kerbing at least last time I was there unless it's been removed.

That would be the common sense thing to do all common sense although common sense is not something that's in abundance when it comes to the NTA, DLRCC, DCC and other such bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I believe plans are afoot to make Beach rd in Sandymount one way from Merrion gates to the bridge, while devoting one lane exclusively to cyclists. Given that this route takes a load of traffic from the ferries, Dublin port etc I wonder at the wisdom of this plan ????

I believe plans are afoot to make Beach rd in Sandymount one way from Merrion gates to the bridge, while devoting one lane exclusively to cyclists. Given that this route takes a load of traffic from the ferries, Dublin port etc I wonder at the wisdom of this plan ????

They want everyone to walk or cycle.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

It dosent really. The vast majority of the Dublin Port freight traffic is containerised so has to go on hgv so has to use M50. Any cars from the ferry will be heading in all directions so only those possibly going to South Dublin/Wicklow will use this route. Also to my knowledge they haven't decided which way it is going to be one way. I used the road commuting for years and the vast majority of traffic on it is single occupancy cars going into or out of town during rush hours

I'm not sure why they can't just let them out at the stop outside the school I mean all the stop infrastructure except the shelter are still there and it is safe place to let people on and off. As buses can safely pull in and still has the kassel kerbing at least last time I was there unless it's been removed.

I just studied the old bus stop on Google Streetview and there is a feature of the street furniture which makes it an unsuitable place for a bus to stop if passengers are alighting from the centre doors. You can see that there is a barrier at the edge of the path to stop kids running out of the school and straight onto the road. If a bus pulled up parallel to the path, that barrier will prevent or, at best, impede people exiting via the centre doors.

https://goo.gl/maps/y9C4tqPiF55JMn256

I just studied the old bus stop on Google Streetview and there is a feature of the street furniture which makes it an unsuitable place for a bus to stop if passengers are alighting from the centre doors. You can see that there is a barrier at the edge of the path to stop kids running out of the school and straight onto the road. If a bus pulled up parallel to the path, that barrier will prevent or, at best, impede people exiting via the centre doors.

https://goo.gl/maps/y9C4tqPiF55JMn256

If the bus pulls in correctly it will work.

• Advertisement

No? There’s CCTV all over the bus

Advertisement