Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXI-27,908 in ROI (1,777 deaths) 6,647 in NI (559 deaths)(22/08)Read OP

Comments

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    known to be effective in these kind of situations, our supply chains were not sufficiently prepared for such an event, it ll more than likely be addressed as the pandemic progresses

dont wear it if you dont want to, we need the gardai, always

I agree. The masks not required spiel back in the early days had everything to do with stock levels and ensuring that the health sector had an adequate supply chain. Once manufacturers were ahead of demand, the advice was changed.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Hope everyone is doing ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

known to be effective in these kind of situations, our supply chains were not sufficiently prepared for such an event, it ll more than likely be addressed as the pandemic progresses

dont wear it if you dont want to, we need the gardai, always

Can you explain how front line workers in food retail weren't decimated. They weren't wearing masks.

If they stopped testing we wouldn't even be aware of an illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I agree. The masks not required spiel back in the early days had everything to do with stock levels and ensuring that the health sector had an adequate supply chain. Once manufacturers were ahead of demand, the advice was changed.

That’s my take on it anyway.

Hope everyone is doing ok :)

I always took it as 50/50 between supply chain and giving time for the message to sink in.

They did a lot of talking about masks being risky. People tough their face etc. What they were doi g was educating people. This is not what you do with a mask on.

Onesea wrote: »
    Can you explain how front line workers in food retail weren't decimated. They weren't wearing masks.

They’re behind a plastic screen.

I always took it as 50/50 between supply chain and giving time for the message to sink in.

They did a lot of talking about masks being risky. People tough their face etc. What they were doi g was educating people. This is not what you do with a mask on.

That makes sense too.

They’re behind a plastic screen.

Who stocks the shelves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the retail sector reacted quickly, and had the capacity to do so, hopefully we rectify this in our health care systems, as it was extremely slow to respond in comparison.

i was slow to react myself, initially thinking people were overreacting, how wrong was i!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The self entitlement of some people who think they're above wearing a mask is shocking.

They're happy out not wearing one as their head is already up their hole so they're safe.

It's been addressed that testing is much higher now and more asymptomatic cases are being picked up.

I'd imagine that 60 now would be similar to 20 positive cases (and 40 unknown asymptomatic cases) back in March.

Adds to the theory that it might have been on our shores a bit earlier than previously thought. Maybe the numbers experienced now would be more reflective of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Just to add Spain has 4 X the incidence of Ireland per 100K population.

522689.jpg

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Adds to the theory that it might have been on our shores a bit earlier than previously thought. Maybe the numbers experienced now would be more reflective of January.

i suspect it was, i have heard stories of people experiencing covid type symptoms prior to all this kicking off

i suspect it was, i have heard stories of people experiencing covid type symptoms prior to all this kicking off

The hospital admissions and deaths right now wouldn't raise any eyebrows, so it's easy to see how the current state as it is could go on for a few weeks before someone raises an alarm. This also backs up the claim that far more of us were infected than the reported numbers suggest.

Who stocks the shelves?

Fair point. What I noticed in Tesco was they were enclosing themselves between the shelves and the trolley carrying the food boxes. A sort of safe area.

But I was only in Tesco once and I normally use my local spar and if someone is stacking one of the four aisles, I go to another aisle or zip quickly past them.

• Advertisement

Fair point. What I noticed in Tesco was they were enclosing themselves between the shelves and the trolley carrying the food boxes. A sort of safe area.

But I was only in Tesco once and I normally use my local spar and if someone is stacking one of the four aisles, I go to another aisle or zip quickly past them.

Shoppings visits reduced dramatically, so transmission risk for workers would have been greatly reduced.

Just found this. Rapid risk assessment from ECDC.
    Very interesting. Full of info.
    Lot's of clusters in Catalonia related to outdoor late night drinking activities etc.
    Didn't think that was possible.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-20200810.pdf

522694.png

Testing differences. I honestly don't trust Spain's figures who are dependent on tourist yo-yos. Positivity rate at 5%.
    We are doing twice as much testing per capita but their positivity rate is 3 times higher.

522695.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Anyone know how long to wait to get a test at the moment around Dublin 24? I was referred for one 24 hours ago and still nothing. Rang my doctor just now and they said they didn't know but it could be up to 3 working days :(

Remember they locked down the city of Leicester.. Lots of cases but no extra people needing hospital. Doctors where left scratching their heads..

Look at Australia - 7 day average of 13 deaths per day with cases at over 400. Not a simple as you think. Maybe we are just getting lucky with who is infected.

Lot's of clusters in Catalonia related to outdoor late night drinking activities etc.

what do you mean?

• Advertisement

Anyone know how long to wait to get a test at the moment around Dublin 24? I was referred for one 24 hours ago and still nothing. Rang my doctor just now and they said they didn't know but it could be up to 3 working days :(

I got one the same day I called back in July and the result the next day, I was very impressed but it seems they weren't ready for the increase in demand.

Wouldn't leave me too confident in our tracing abilities when you have people waiting longer than 2 days.

what do you mean?

I just thought outdoors meant you were almost completely safe.
    Surpising that clusters traced to purely outdoor settings. Could be other factors at play of course. Nevertheless interesting.
    Outdoor vs. indoor settings
    As the more stringent physical distancing measures have been relaxed over time, public health authorities have encouraged people to spend more time outdoors, given knowledge that indoor settings pose a higher risk of transmission than outdoor settings. In Spain, this has led to multiple activities being allowed outdoors, with terraces in bars and restaurants opening earlier on, before the reopening of cinemas or other indoor activities.

Following the relaxation of measures, many clusters associated with outdoor activities have been reported from Catalonia and most regions in Spain, particularly clusters involving young people participating in late-night leisure activities. There have been some suggestions that projecting the voice to be heard over loud music or just because the outdoor noise, often associated with alcohol intake and relaxation of physical distancing, may be
    associated with increased transmission
    [10,15].

The seasonality of COVID-19 and the potential effect of increasing temperatures and humidity leading to a decrease in the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 has been widely discussed [14,15]. However, the current situation of the pandemic in many countries in the northern hemisphere suggests that these statements may need to be reviewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Shoppings visits reduced dramatically, so transmission risk for workers would have been greatly reduced.

Not true. The supermarket was a reason to go out. My local supermarkets are quieter now than they were during lockdown.

NZ seeing cases of Covid again, I wonder how that got in?

I just thought outdoors meant you were almost completely safe.
    Surpising that clusters traced to purely outdoor settings. Could be other factors at play of course. Nevertheless interesting.

drunk people tend to become closer in proximity as it goes down, hence why pubs be closed

polesheep wrote: »
    Not true. The supermarket was a reason to go out. My local supermarkets are quieter now than they were during lockdown.

I don't know about you but I miss how quiet my local Tesco was. I used to have to queue but when I was in there, it felt like the end of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Look at Australia - 7 day average of 13 deaths per day with cases at over 400. Not a simple as you think. Maybe we are just getting lucky with who is infected.

I think it's more likely a combination of the vulnerable being careful and the nursing/care homes under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Cousin got tested this morning, she was a close contact to someone last Monday and got a phonecall from contact tracers on Thursday.

Must be waiting 7 days to test contacts? Makes sense given incubation period I suppose, but I thought they test on day 1 and day 7.

All cases of covid in NZ in the past 100 days have been in managed quarantine

All cases of covid in NZ in the past 100 days have been in managed quarantine

So a slip there then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

No cases in the community.
    All detected cases are of returning NZ residents in 14 day quarantine.

ongarite wrote: »
    No cases in the community.
    All detected cases are of returning NZ residents in 14 day quarantine.

Mention of a retirement village on the news?

So a slip there then?

NOat all - the cases are in hotels where they are quarantining overseas arrivals for 14 days. No cases outside these settings

NOat all - the cases are in hotels where they are quarantining overseas arrivals for 14 days. No cases outside these settings

http://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-breaks-out-again-in-new-zealand-after-102-days-12047011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Who stocks the shelves?

I'll agree it's confusing. There's also the large number of London Bus drivers that were reportedly infected. I don't think we saw that here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Breaking news: Russia has successfully developed the vaccine. Its over folks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Guardian reporting four cases in a NZ family who had not travelled, they don't know where it came from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Looking at the Covid hub there. 21 people in hospital and 7 in ICU. I think it went up to 17/18 around this time last week then dropped the same day down to 9 in total. I’d be expecting some admissions especially in the LOK area and Dublin. But ACE said last week some of these could be discharged with oxygen to use at home if needed.

• Advertisement

So a slip there then?

My daughters live in Western Australia. The cases they have appear to come from those that are in the enforced quarantine hotels. So it’s catching them before they get a chance to spread in the community.

Western Australia still closed down to all the other states but some billionaire and the Australian government have taken them to court over it. Say it’s unconstitutional. Decision due in September or October.

Mention of a retirement village on the news?

They are testing becasue residents are showing respiratory symptoms - no covid case confirmed yet - and judging by them having no cases elsewhere in the country its unlikely to be covid. Given a small fraction of people don't develop symptoms for more than 14 days, an escape is inevitable eventually however.

They are testing becasue residents are showing respiratory symptoms - no covid case confirmed yet - and judging by them having no cases elsewhere in the country its unlikely to be covid. Given a small fraction of people don't develop symptoms for more than 14 days, an escape is inevitable eventually however.

Looks like it has gotten out unfortunately. They'll contain that in no time though with their approach, it's top notch.

Stheno wrote: »
    Guardian reporting four cases in a NZ family who had not travelled, they don't know where it came from

It was inevitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

The hospital admissions and deaths right now wouldn't raise any eyebrows, so it's easy to see how the current state as it is could go on for a few weeks before someone raises an alarm. This also backs up the claim that far more of us were infected than the reported numbers suggest.

If we can keep hospitalisations down in a scenario with hundreds of daily cases it will become very hard to keep everyone onboard for sure. The unemployed and people suffering from other illnesses (needing treatments that are unavailable) will become very angry to have no job or no treatment when there are less than, for example, 100 people in hospital with Covid.

It is all ifs but moods will change in that scenario and once again it will be poor people and people with ill health that will suffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I know someone who has a cold who's refusing to self isolate or at least restrict the movements out and adamant that it's just a cold and doesn't need a test.

I thought the virus can show up as a cold for some people or the virus can start off as a cold.

Isn't this a way that the virus is going to spread about for the next few more months? People self diagnosing without a test.

Tony said the days of going into work and school with a cold is over.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A supervisor is opening the office for me tomorrow even though their young son is being tested and they will be awaiting results tomorrow presumably. Am I within my rights to ask them if they received a positive test before agreeing to go and meet with them? They are absolutely dense and would not necessarily know that they should self-isolate.

US2 wrote: »
    Cousin got tested this morning, she was a close contact to someone last Monday and got a phonecall from contact tracers on Thursday.

Must be waiting 7 days to test contacts? Makes sense given incubation period I suppose, but I thought they test on day 1 and day 7.

If that's the case. Are people supposed to wait at home for a week with no pay.
    Again I'd say most don't.

My daughters live in Western Australia. The cases they have appear to come from those that are in the enforced quarantine hotels. So it’s catching them before they get a chance to spread in the community.

Western Australia still closed down to all the other states but some billionaire and the Australian government have taken them to court over it. Say it’s unconstitutional. Decision due in September or October.

Just like some billionaire here.
    And Gemma O'Doherty of course.

One has a conflict of interest the other is just mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/covid-19-rapid-risk-assessment-20200810.pdf

Testing differences. I honestly don't trust Spain's figures who are dependent on tourist yo-yos. Positivity rate at 5%.
    We are doing twice as much testing per capita but their positivity rate is 3 times higher.

If you saw how they act here, you'd see .... masked up on the streets even when totally alone, the SS thug pig police wandering around looking to give out fines .... get to the beer terrace - off with the masks ...

Get the beers in, and spit all over your mates, cos Covid doesn't like terraces apparently - the Pigs walking by ignoring it, giving some asthmatic old lady a ticket for her mask being a cm below her nose as she carries her shopping back - alone, not near anyone.

PERO BUENNOOOO!!!!

slowly we inch......

slowly we inch......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

s1ippy wrote: »
    A supervisor is opening the office for me tomorrow even though their young son is being tested and they will be awaiting results tomorrow presumably. Am I within my rights to ask them if they received a positive test before agreeing to go and meet with them? They are absolutely dense and would not necessarily know that they should self-isolate.

I think you know the answer to that question.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement