Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any credible conspiracy theories?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dtothebtotheh

I don’t know, simple. Would I put my faith in the media narrative? No. Did it seem like an extremely unusual event? Yes. Was it the precursor to a war? Yes. But, I’m no engineer, I would however keep an open mind.

Governments have been caught out lying so many times at this stage, it’s no wonder people are sceptical. Russians actually think they’re liberating/de-natzifying Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Cheerful believes "secret Nazis", Jews, Arabs, the US president and a cast of characters were behind 9/11. Its their own unique personal theory.

Conspiracies happen all the time, only have to switch on the news. Unfortunately grifters use those to convince people that other world events are "staged" in order to make people feel like they have special secret knowledge. Often lecturing others to "question everything" whilst conveniently ignoring to question the conspiracy theory or theorist itself.

If you believe something else occurred on 9/11, you are free to explain what that was. So far, in 20 years, haven't come across any credible alternative theory.

In my experience, people who find the event "fishy" often just parrot talking points from online videos they never question. Or are the types who are incredulous at the event, but find it easy to entertain something much more implausible, without much thought as to what that might actually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok. But that's not the question I asked you.

I asked you if you believed cheerfuls theory.

Do you believe it's plausible? Do you think it's a good explanation?

Do you think he's presenting it in a convincing way?

The fact that you don't seem all that will to comment on it at all is very very telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

But who were the terrorist, and what country were they from ?

Were they from Iraq, Afghanistan ?

Because those two countries took a lot of flack and loss of life and culture.

• Advertisement

Must I respond to you immediately? I live on the other side of the globe ( I mean our flat earth).

as I’ve mentioned already, I don’t know. When people don’t have information they’ll fill in the blanks, it’s in our nature to make sense of things.

Is it a highly suspicious event? Absolutely. But I have to go with facts, and neither side have been able to provide factual information. Hence, the rise of the conspiracy. We may never know, as I said lack of information leads people to put two and two together, sometimes they get five?

I am a scientist, not that means a whole lot, but your arguments/theories are based on the data that’s put in front of you. That’s all you have to go on.

I know I keep going back to covid, but it’s a great example of how politics/BS trumped science. How an organisation as well funded and as large as the WHO, could state it was a zoonotic virus based on absolutely zero evidence is quite frankly disturbing. That is not science. An 8 year old could tell you, “yeah, it moved from a bat to a pangolin or some **** like that”, then it was eaten by a human, causing a pandemic, tells me there is some very sinister undercurrents going on. That is not an investigational paper worth wiping your arse with.

Is it a highly suspicious event? Absolutely.

In your personal opinion.

Hence, the rise of the conspiracy. We may never know, as I said lack of information leads people to put two and two together, sometimes they get five?

It's not a mystery, we know a great deal about it. It's one of the most studied events of this century.

We also know a lot about how online conspiracies work, and how conspiracy grifters frame information to convince viewers to doubt the event, to portray that there are "two sides" to events in order to insert narratives, etc

How an organisation as well funded and as large as the WHO, could state it was a zoonotic virus based on absolutely zero evidence is quite frankly disturbing. That is not science. An 8 year old could tell you, “yeah, it moved from a bat to a pangolin or some **** like that”, then it was eaten by a human, causing a pandemic, tells me there is some very sinister undercurrents going on. That is not an investigational paper worth wiping your arse with.

We don't know the origin of Covid. The strongest theory, and current consensus appears to be that it's zoonotic in origin.

15 of the 19 hijackers were from Saudi. The others were from Lebanon, UAE and Egypt.

You're still not answering the question though.

You don't know what? You don't know if cheerful's theory is good or not?

He's been spamming it constantly on this thread. Have you not read it?

And on what basis is it most likely to be zoonotic? You do know historically a virus has never evolved so quickly? Virus follow an evolutionary pathway to survive, much like any other living organisms, but it doesn’t happen overnight.

are you aware of the studies that were undertaken to include cleavage sites to corona viruses to make them more virulent?

are you aware that in almost three years they haven’t been able to identify an intermediate animal species?

are you aware, we were lied to about gain of function testing on bat viruses in WIV, a number of which were funded through American subsidiaries? (Eco health via NIH).

we were also lied to about there was no testing of bats in WIV, there is pictures of shi zhengli standing in front of cages of bats in 2019.

are you aware, the WIV installed a new HVAC system in sep 2019, furthermore, their research database was conveniently removed due to “cyber security” risks prior to investigation.

are you aware it was over one year post pandemic that independent auditors (although that’s another joke in itself) we’re allowed to be ushered through Wuhan to “investigate” the origins of the virus.

are you aware of the original whistleblowers that wound up either in prison or dead?

why did it take weeks for China to release the genetic sequence of the virus?

that’s a lot of coincidences, don’t you think? I could go on there’s many more “incidents” that occurred during this period.

• Advertisement

And yeah I get it, your not a critical thinker and will accept what you are told, which is fine, but I wouldn’t condemn others from finding the truth, you make statements like it’s widely accepted, where’s your proof. Ronald McDonald once told me the Big Mac was a better burger than the whopper according to 119% of voters, he must be right so. What I’m getting at, is ignorance goes both ways, you cannot confirm, nor back up your opinion, neither can I, you make a judgement based on whatever information you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Here we go again. There are multiple threads in this forum where it has been discussed.

Just to add, you’ve made a comment as to how conspiracy works.

“We also know a lot about how online conspiracies work, and how conspiracy grifters frame information to convince viewers to doubt the event, to portray that there are "two sides”.

in your opinion, do you think, say a government or an interested party could contrive a way to manipulate information for their own good? Has it been done in the past?

are you aware of Russian and Chinese bots spreading propaganda online?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,390 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

There's an entire thread on this on this forum, a lot of these points were covered in there (browse back a few pages)

Primary theory - It was zoonotic

Secondary theory - It escaped lab (accidentally)

Third theory - It was deliberately released

We don't have 100% evidence for any of these, but at the moment it seems a majority of experts and scientists are leaning towards the zoonotic theory. There was a peak in the second theory for a period but some of those supporters in the scientific community have since walked their comments back. Unfortunately we may never know the true origins of Covid.

This type of stance is common among people who easily gravitate towards conspiracies. Gaslighting that other people are stupid, that they accept everything they are told, believe everything they see on the media, that they don't question anything, etc. Then comes the false equivalence, claims that there are "two sides" to everything (thanks Russell Brand), and giving both of these sides equal weight and then declaring, "we can't really know", in order to give credibility to a theory that is very weak (e.g. 9/11 conspiracies)

I don't know the origins of Covid, but my reading of a mixture of scientific sites over the past two years is that a majority of scientists currently lean towards the zoonotic theory.

Sorry, you've stopped making any sense.

Who are you accusing of not being a critical thinker?

Bare in mind that you've jumped in to defend a fellow who believes that the twin towers were demolished by secret silent explosives and who is an avowed holocaust denier.

I wrote "conspiracies happen all the time, only have to turn on the news". That should address that. Just a page or two back in this thread are multiple examples of such conspiracies.

What do you think about missing 411 there's lots of theories. Like the stray sod like thing, sasquatch and paranormal activity.

That's pretty out there, but people have gone missing or found in strange circumstances.

Each case needs to be looked at separately based on it's own evidence.

For example Sasquatch/Bigfoot - No credible evidence of this. Just lots of sightings that have since greatly diminished with the emergence of the smartphone.

Paranormal activity - Likewise, with the invention of a HD video camera in our back-pockets, "ghost sightings" have greatly diminished.

People are excited and titillated by mystery and the "unexplained", there are entire television series about Bigfoot and ghosts, people want to believe in these things, as such a market has sprung up around them. However when we look at the evidence, it's flimsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The first investigation said a lab leak was unlikely but not impossible that's still the case in the Lancet article. There is no conspiracy there, just likely and unlikely origins (and vicinity bias from people who don't understand that the lab was there because new virus are found locally, not the other way around).

The conspiracy would be if it was a deliberate lab leak and then why would that be done, none of the CT'rs on here have come within an astronomical unit of explaining that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So we have another contestant that will keep this thread going!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,691 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Man come on at this stage its pretty dame obvious it came from an accidental lab leek ,

Of course your going to have some experts & scientist claiming its Zoonotic other wise these Labs will get closed down world wide, remember who funds the lab in Wu Han , Everyone not just China have a reason to deny it ,

Are you old enough to remember 2007 foot 7 mouth outbreak in England & Ireland that is a verified a lab leak , It happens of course it does ,

Its just common sense not even a conspiracy on this one ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

How is it obvious?

Questions dodged, and straight on the attack, as per. Quelle surprise.

I've never posted on here when 'upset', nor have I ever been upset by any posts on here ever. Projection is a terrible thing.

Also, you find the most mundane and boring things weird, Cheerful. The fact you find it weird almost guarantees it's a nothing-burger.

"Up your meds" is an expression used when someone who is usually pretty normal suddenly seems like they've gone off the deep end. I'm not seriously suggesting you start taking medication (but I suspect you know this and are acting the bollocks). You have me mixed up with someone else, and only started taking exception with me recently for whatever reason. I suspect it's because I demonstrated how you were misrepresenting reality, after you challenged protonmike to do so, and got your knickers in a twist.

To the best of my recollection:

I've never had any interactions with BBoC,

I never said I "never go running to mods",

I never 'ran to the mods' or however else you wanna put it, and

I've never deleted any comments on boards either. I'd usually edit them and put a disclaimer at the end.

I'm calling you a child and a spoofer because that's how you're portraying yourself. Look at your last few posts in response to me....repeating my own words back to me like a toddler (weasel, wobbler, 'retract' your words', made a fool of yourself, embarrassing etc.). This is the behaviour of a child, ergo you are acting childish. That's not name calling, it's provable fact. I AM calling you a spoofer, but that's because you're spoofing about me "dragging the mods into it."

Again, pure nonsense. I've never deleted a post on Boards. Never. If you have proof of this, then post it or STFU. Looks to me like you got me mixed up with someone else, tried to find it, and are now claiming I removed the post (which I didn't, for anyone not paying attention).

You said earlier "Because I explained that you took it out of context....", so please point us to where you explained it and we can go from there? Unless, of course, you think I'm deleting your posts as well?

Viruses do jump from animals to humans.

Great overview here of the various theories on Covid origins, and why so many of the lab leak theories change at a rapid pace

What does STFU mean?

I think you're getting rather excited, but feel free to call me names and tell me to STFU if you like.

You're absolutely powerless at this stage and it's plain to see your frustrations. Ignore my post's if they're bothering you.

I'll put you on ignore now, and I won't read your response. Because it's not worth the light on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,691 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Yes of course they do hence why it was used as the excuse bit this one certainly didn't

So you can't show where you explained to me that I took something out of context then?

And you have no proof of any of the crap you're leveling against me?

And now you're conveniently putting me on ignore so you don't have to back up your bullsh1t claims?

How convenient.

• Advertisement

bit this one certainly didn't

Is your personal opinion on it.

To date we don't 100% know the true origins of Covid. However, according to what I've read (from scientific sites) on this, the current consensus appears to be leaning toward Covid being zoonotic in origin. The opinion of the scientific community.

Advertisement