Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Question for parents of 4th, 5th and 6th class children.

Would you be happy for your child to wear a visor in the classroom?

Just heard this was discussed at a meeting of the education stakeholders (hate that term) today.

As a parent with children in two of those yup absolutely!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭WAW

Question for parents of 4th, 5th and 6th class children.

Would you be happy for your child to wear a visor in the classroom?

Just heard this was discussed at a meeting of the education stakeholders (hate that term) today.

If it part of a fancy dress prop,yeah sure. Otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Under the new lockdown restrictions, there is a limit of 6 people meeting indoors ( with a maximum of 3 different households) and 15 meeting outdoors in Kildare.

In 3 weeks time, I will be teaching 29 eleven/twelve year old children from 29 different households in a room just not designed for the level of social distancing required, each day, in Kildare, with no PPE to be worn by children as of today.

To me, it's equally illogical and worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Under the new lockdown restrictions, there is a limit of 6 people meeting indoors ( with a maximum of 3 different households) and 15 meeting outdoors in Kildare.

In 3 weeks time, I will be teaching 29 eleven/twelve year old children from 29 different households in a room just not designed for the level of social distancing required, each day, in Kildare, with no PPE to be worn by children as of today.

Sounds frightening, but kids aren't spreading thr virus , the bigger risks will be teachers spreading to other teachers, like Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Sounds frightening, but kids aren't spreading thr virus , the bigger risks will be teachers spreading to other teachers, like Germany

There is very mixed info about this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

alroley wrote: »
    There is very mixed info about this.

Right now look at the facts.
    Kids are out playing, kids are playing sports where physical contact and then the messing they do.

Still no spike from it.

Actually teachers were already socially distancing before we closed in my school so I presume that will continue. More studies showing children spread as easily as adults but dont get as ill

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

but the kids wont be arriving in to you having worked 8 and 10 hour shifts together everyday while living 10 or 12 to a house

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Kids are out playing, kids are playing sports where physical contact and then the messing they do.

Still no spike from it.

I'm guessing most current interaction between children from different families is happening outdoors or in spacious venues like shopping centres. Tightly packed classrooms for 30+ hours a week a whole different scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Finally, common sense prevails on masks.

• Advertisement

Still no spike from it.

GAA cancelled in the three counties and awaiting word on the cul camps

• Registered Users Posts: 39,685 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Still no spike from it.

With feck all instances of the virus in the community.

A lot of people can't seem to process that fact. The reality is people were only marginally more likely to catch covid this summer than they were last summer when the thing didn't exist.

It's about keeping schools open when the instances of the virus in the community increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

khalessi wrote: »
    GAA cancelled in the three counties and awaiting word on the cul camps

They have to be pulled as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

So how do you explain what happened in the camp in Georgia. 51% of the 6-10 year olds tested positive, 44% of the 11-17s tested positive and 33% of the 18-21 year olds tested positive. There were 7 over 22 years and 2 of them tested positive.
    Are you saying that all infections were an adult to adult and adult to child but no child to adult or child to child?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

While I agree that masks need to be worn am I right in thinking that visors for teachers of Junior and Senior infants would be more appropriate ? Very young children rely on facial expressions .

They have to be pulled as well.

Looks like it. County board discussing it tonight but I dont see it going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Very high risk/cocooning staff catered for but just 'high risk' staff have no special provision effectively.

Harsh enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

khalessi wrote: »
    Looks like it. County board discussing it tonight but I dont see it going ahead.

Only groups of 15 allowed for training so that will be it pulled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Still no spike from it.

But have any of those children been diagnosed with Covid?
    Think of headlice . You could have 20 children happily playing, heads together all summer and not have a single case of head lice. One child goes off to stay with friends and gets headlice but doesn’t realise. Arrives back to play with the other 19 again and all of a sudden, headlice spreads through them all.
    There has to be a case to start it off.

• Advertisement

Murple wrote: »
    So how do you explain what happened in the camp in Georgia. 51% of the 6-10 year olds tested positive, 44% of the 11-17s tested positive and 33% of the 18-21 year olds tested positive. There were 7 over 22 years and 2 of them tested positive.
    Are you saying that all infections were an adult to adult and adult to child but no child to adult or child to child?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/when-covid-subsided-israel-reopened-its-schools-it-didn-t-go-well-1.4321658

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    While I agree that masks need to be worn am I right in thinking that visors for teachers of Junior and Senior infants would be more appropriate ? Very young children rely on facial expressions .

Visors aren’t sufficient protection on their own .

bull****

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/children-and-school-settings-covid-19-transmission

Investigations of cases identified in school settings suggest that child to child transmission in schools is uncommon and not the primary cause of SARS-CoV-2 infection in children whose onset of infection coincides with the period during which they are attending school, particularly in preschools and primary schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Visors don't work

i_surge wrote: »
    Visors don't work

Not as well as masks no . But they are definitely better than nothing

Go on strike

question from an outsider if an elderly teacher or someone with a weak immune system , say I do not feel comfortable working in this environment for my health ie, 3 0+ kids/children in a small class room in october with window's closed . Do they get sacked or what is the position . Thanks

Not fit for purpose no matter what way you swing it.

question from an outsider if an elderly teacher or someone with a weak immune system , say I do not feel comfortable working in this environment for my health ie, 3 0+ kids/children in a small class room in october with window's closed . Do they get sacked or what is the position . Thanks

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0049_2020.pdf

New circular out today with information

• Advertisement

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200806-are-face-shields-effective-against-covid-19

Need to be used with a mask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement