Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The snow level on Tuesday appears to be about 300-400 metres in Ulster.

My forecast has progressively got colder. I am now down for 4c high that day..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A lot of 'respectable' people seem to have gone down the rabbit hole of prioritising staying relevant on social media over keeping their professional integrity. Whatever pays the bills I suppose..

It's called selling your soul.

I don't really follow social media darling meteorologists, because, and without wanting or meaning to sound conceited, I don't really need to. I know how to read a chart and have a fair idea what sort of weather a particular chart would bring. This forum and some of eggheads on it are enough for me.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next two weeks looks similar to how the past 2 weeks have played out. Some wintry precipitation in places but quite marginal and hit and miss. I don't expect much if any low level lying snow here in Ireland but some of us may see some flakes. Once again Scotland and the north of England is the place to be, they look like they are going to get a big dumping of snow next Wednesday and Thursday. Scotland has already had a very snowy winter already.

The southern half of England is in a similar situation to ourselves, barely any snow to show for the winter so far and looks very hit and miss for them too over the next week. One of the main problems apart from the fact that it just hasn't been cold enough is that northerlies do not do well for most of Ireland and much of southern England. Easterlies are far more successful at getting proper snow into much of Ireland and southern England. This north/south divide will probably go on unless we see a proper easterly break out at some point in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I'd gladly take a few days of showery polar maritime air at this stage so long as it gets rid of this miserable slate grey sky and constant rain we've had over the past week. Another dank drizzly day today

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

No idea what temperature it is up here but my god it’s cold the wind would cut you in two 🙈🥶🥶

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah, if you are living in Scotland and some places in the north of England, you'd be thinking this winter has been very good, with yet more to come.
    When we get proper northerlies they do deliver, but with that Iberian high reacting to lows meandering and then phasing in the Atlantic, we can forget about that happening anytime soon. However we are a bit further along in winter, so if a local cold pool develops it could tip the balance in our favour to a decent snow event within the next two weeks. I'm not saying it is likely to happen, but there is a chance it might.

I can deal with the lack of snow as that is something I have become increasingly indifferent about over the last few years. Just give me some seasonal force 10 storms, a nice few rattles and a few hard frosts in between and I'll be happy. Something that you would reasonably expect in the winter time, but sadly has become almost as rare as the snow.

New Moon

this miserable slate grey sky and constant rain we've had over the past week. Another dank drizzly day today

This brings back fond memories of last summer :P I think we had about one hour in total of sunshine in July, and about 2 in August. June was very sunny however but it all seemed to go very dark after those storms at the end of the month.

New Moon

Interesting fax posted by Marco just now
    And look north to the occlusion
    If I was the Limavady correspondent, I'd be getting a tad excited

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1350836750109827072?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

AuntySnow wrote: »
    If I was the Limavady correspondent, I'd be getting a tad excited

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think we just need to accept that we are in Ireland and we rarely get proper snow bar a light dusting on the mountains. We get some frost/ice yes but that's it most of the time.

Even this winter has been better as we did get a slight dusting of snow in wexford a few weeks ago and prolonged frosty/icy conditions. :D

We get more than a light dusting in the mountains. Most years you'll get heavy snow above 600m if you time it right. Lug, Galty, Carauntoohill, Mweelrea etc

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Arklow snow alert

arpege-1-72-0.png?17-16

• Registered Users Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Connacht, Longford, Louth, Westmeath, Meath, Cavan and Monaghan

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rainfall will lead to accumulations of 30 to 50mm, with higher accumulations in mountainous areas. This will bring a risk of some river and localised flooding.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 18/01/2021 to 21:00 Tuesday 19/01/2021

Issued: 16:00 Sunday 17/01/2021

Gonzo wrote: »
    The next two weeks looks similar to how the past 2 weeks have played out. Some wintry precipitation in places but quite marginal and hit and miss. I don't expect much if any low level lying snow here in Ireland but some of us may see some flakes. Once again Scotland and the north of England is the place to be, they look like they are going to get a big dumping of snow next Wednesday and Thursday. Scotland has already had a very snowy winter already.

The southern half of England is in a similar situation to ourselves, barely any snow to show for the winter so far and looks very hit and miss for them too over the next week. One of the main problems apart from the fact that it just hasn't been cold enough is that northerlies do not do well for most of Ireland and much of southern England. Easterlies are far more successful at getting proper snow into much of Ireland and southern England. This north/south divide will probably go on unless we see a proper easterly break out at some point in February.

Again this isn’t true. We usually do very well in Northerly airstreams here but most of the heavy precipitation here recently has been accompanied by a rise in temperatures.

By the time the precipiation has reached Scotland the warmer air has mixed out.

We get more than a light dusting in the mountains. Most years you'll get heavy snow above 600m if you time it right. Lug, Galty, Carauntoohill, Mweelrea etc

I have to agree the hills here above 600 metres almost have a semi permanent snow cover in winter.

Arklow snow alert

arpege-1-72-0.png?17-16

Last time you gave me one of those,I literally had to get a track machine to gain access through the drifts to my milking parlour, Storm Emma

This is Quite nice... :p

image.png.3a67c1fdc1f71159ef47539e7e1a342d.png

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Again this isn’t true. We usually do very well in Northerly airstreams here but most of the heavy precipitation here recently has been accompanied by a rise in temperatures.

By the time the precipiation has reached Scotland the warmer air has mixed out.

Its not really that,the feed has not been direct
    Its been hanging round in the Atlantic waiting room for too long for sea level/coastal snow
    Like Squamish outside vancouver, cold sleety and wet,but a half hour up the highway towards whistler and you're in heavy snow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Uk met office only has rain warnings issued for Northern and central England for Tuesday Wednesday. Orange warning. No snow warnings.

In the NI forecast they mention longer spells of rain and snow for Thursday.

I have 4c and cloudy on thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

This is Quite nice... :p

image.png.3a67c1fdc1f71159ef47539e7e1a342d.png

Scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Germany (Bavaria) this morning. We can only dream!

https://flic.kr/p/2ktkEnT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another dull, damp dreary day here in wexford. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Another three days of rain and overcast conditions to look forward to. We are being spoilt this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Great read. Thank you.

There's a valley in Slieve Bloom called 'The Cones' where the last families left during and after that snow event. Houses totally covered in snow. The abandoned village of 4-5 houses is still there among the trees. Up beyond Glenbarrow waterfall.
    https://www.offalyhistory.com/shop/books/lost-village-slieve-bloom-story-sean-flanagan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Steady rain for the last 2 hours here in meath, definitely didnt need this with the field beside us still flooded taught it would stay dry until the main event tonight and tomorrow, can only hope its not as heavy as predicted

Constant drizzle and low hanging cloud all day in wexford. Depressing at this stage.

I apologise for moaning but it's even worse this winter as we had exactly the same last summer and pretty much 0 sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Constant drizzle and low hanging cloud all day in wexford. Depressing at this stage.

Same here in Dublin13 :(

Another grim Winter.

Advertisement