Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Loughc wrote: »
    Same here in Dublin13 :(

Another grim Winter.

Same here in D14. This type of weather is really hard to try study to, its already depressing enough as is, but the weather makes it worse. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Looks like it's rain non stop till Thursday ugh. Blue Monday alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Looks like it's rain non stop till Thursday ugh. Blue Monday alright.

But it's very mild ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mcburns07 wrote: »
    But it's very mild ;)

I use to scoff at presenters saying this, but is there anything worse than rain at 3c. Maybe if it's 2c and raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

I use to scoff at presenters saying this, but is there anything worse than rain at 3c. Maybe if it's 2c and raining.

I just hate rain during the winter in general tbh :pac:

At least in the summer the ground dries up quickly. The relentless damp of Irish autumns/winters is by far the thing I dislike most about our climate.

At least in the summer the ground dries up quickly. The relentless damp of Irish autumns/winters is by far the thing I dislike most about our climate.

Our summers are often like a tropical monsoon season

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I just hate rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's been raining here in Carrick on Shannon since 5pm and it's 6c, imagine if that was snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's a lovely soft rain!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I apologise for moaning but it's even worse this winter as we had exactly the same last summer and pretty much 0 sunshine.

Yet you’ll have people tell you last summer as cracking!!! I kid you not.

Yet you’ll have people tell you last summer as cracking!!! I kid you not.

Every summer is cracking. It's all about light.
    When you have light from 5am to 10pm, the world is your oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

I love heavy rain. Very therapeutic. Rain at dusk as daylight starts to fade is one of my favourites.

So long as I am indoors at the time of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

John.Icy wrote: »
    I love heavy rain. Very therapeutic. Rain at dusk as daylight starts to fade is one of my favourites.

I know some people complain that the rain hammering on their Velux keeps them awake. Not for me. I find it somewhat therapeutic too. The White noise helps me sleep, the noise stops me hearing anything else outside and the rain keeps the drunks away or keeps them moving. I live just off the Seafront in Bray on a main pedestrian route to the popular Seafront pubs. Fri to Sun can be noisy with drinkers on their way down or home all year round and in the Summer it can be Wed to Sun. I relax when I hear the rain hammering on the Velux because I know I wont hear or there wont be any drunken shenanigans outside as people don't hang about in the lashing rain. As you can imagine with respect to the aforementioned shenanigans the last 10 months have been Heaven with the pubs closed or closing earlier. Peaceful at night 7 days a week. Still get the relaxed feeling when the lashing rain hits the Velux though cause that neural programming doesn't fade overnight. It'll be a shock to the system when things get back to normal in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Just a heads up to anyone driving this morning. Roads are very wet here in Dublin. A lot of standing water on the m50 more than I've seen in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Cumulative temperature anomaly (national) for January so far up to yesterday the 18th. A slow but sure bounce back after a pretty cool start:

ZyJr4Lf.gif

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Every summer is cracking. It's all about light.
    When you have light from 5am to 10pm, the world is your oyster.

This exactly. I love summer no matter the weather we get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Just a heads up to anyone driving this morning. Roads are very wet here in Dublin. A lot of standing water on the m50 more than I've seen in a long time

They probably shouldn't be on boards either, that would be more dangerous than the rain surely? My coat? Yes I already have it...

This exactly. I love summer no matter the weather we get.

Weather doesn't bother me much in Ireland, apart from summer, because I'm always so disappointed.
    Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons, I never have much expectations but we always seem to get nice spells of calm weather that make it lovely to be outside in. I'm getting anxiety now thinking of a typical July weather report for Dublin where it's 26c in Cardiff and sunny and raining in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather doesn't bother me much in Ireland, apart from summer, because I'm always so disappointed.
    Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons, I never have much expectations but we always seem to get nice spells of calm weather that make it lovely to be outside in. I'm getting anxiety now thinking of a typical July weather report for Dublin where it's 26c in Cardiff and sunny and raining in Dublin.

Or the even better one where Liverpool has sunny and 30c with big thunderstorms and Dublin has 18c with drizzle.

• Advertisement

John.Icy wrote: »

A day like yesterday was the absolute sweet spot for coarse fishing.
    12C, cloudy with light warm rain, no wind. Tight lines all day long!

Heavy rain since last night. There are floods in the fields now. Imagine if this was snow. Maybe some day before March we''ll have two days of heavy snow instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy rain since last night. There are floods in the fields now. Imagine if this was snow. Maybe some day before March we''ll have two days of heavy snow instead.

Think you might up in Mayo. Looks like there is going to a north/south divide going by the models for cold/milder weather.

Think you might up in Mayo. Looks like there is going to a north/south divide going by the models for cold/milder weather.

Yes. it's just going to be cold rain here, then some mixed wintry precipitation after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

That last line of MT's forecast just gives us snow lovers something to hold on to until we give in to the arrival of spring, and slightly warmer rain.

From MT's forecast - - -"February may see an interval of colder weather developing after this variable period ends."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another dull and wet day, and it's quite windy as well. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

pad199207 wrote: »
    Or the even better one where Liverpool has sunny and 30c with big thunderstorms and Dublin has 18c with drizzle.

The above summed up the summer over the BI - personally I find wall to wall cloud on long summer days a bit grim:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the wintry risk for this weekend is lower now than what the GFS was showing yesterday, had a feeling this would happen. Looks very hit and miss and mostly confined to the west and north with many eastern and southern areas staying mostly dry. After this deluge a few relatively dry days is well needed.

This wouldn't be good either
    Loads of Northeasters's pumping cold into the Atlantic from labrador means storms wind and rain Ireland bound

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/status/1351525596791242755?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭esposito

All if’s and but’s Aunty. Nobody knows what’s in store for February

Advertisement