Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a nice day outside, was great for a walk but that breeze would cut you in two. Feeling much cooler than it is. Currently 7C but feels more like 2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Very mild day in Cork. 10 degrees but felt 2-3 degrees warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Been snowing on and off all day here in Brussels, there’s a pretty decent powdery covering at the moment. The mild air returns tonight though so I expect it’ll be mostly gone by morning especially as it then turns to rain.

Joe Bastardi tweeted a cross hemisphere easterly from Siberia to Canada and added the words . Beware Below :D
    He might be right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The Scamstrat has really shown up people like that Hugo guy on twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The 12z appears to be a slight upgrade. Low single figure highs for me Wednesday onwards.

The Scamstrat has really shown up people like that Hugo guy on twitter.

He's like murr
    A whole lot of if this goes here and that goes there we'd be right..
    But this never ends up here and that never goes there
    Its called hope casting
    Both are very clued in and hugo has the met qualifications for doing 72hr forecasts but total hopecasters on the outlooks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

AuntySnow wrote: »
    He's like murr
    A whole lot of if this goes here and that goes there we'd be right..
    But this never ends up here and that never goes there
    Its called hope casting
    Both are very clued in and hugo has the met qualifications for doing 72hr forecasts but total hopecasters on the outlooks

Funnily Murr was against the huge Greenland blocking on some of the runs last weekend. Didn't think the factors were there for it to develop as strong as modelled or something along those lines and turns out he was bang on.

EDIT: Can't remember if he went for absolutely no blocking however - so maybe he was right in a way but still wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sun had that nice spring-like golden quality about it today and this morning was particularly beautiful. Sort of made me hope for a repeat of spring last year. Sunny and not too warm which is a big motivator to get things done outside.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Heavy showers in Letterkenny with a bit of sleet in the mix, not really noticeable until I was driving and could see some snowflakes splattering on the windscreen

• Advertisement

Heavy showers in Letterkenny with a bit of sleet in the mix, not really noticeable until I was driving and could see some snowflakes splattering on the windscreen

It’s definitely got colder in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

John.Icy wrote: »
    Funnily Murr was against the huge Greenland blocking on some of the runs last weekend. Didn't think the factors were there for it to develop as strong as modelled or something along those lines and turns out he was bang on.

EDIT: Can't remember if he went for absolutely no blocking however - so maybe he was right in a way but still wrong.

John Holmes is the man to pay heed to. He is the complete opposite of those two.

So it looks like we miss out yet again on Wednesday. Maybe climbing a mountain that day is the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I think we just need to accept that we are in Ireland and we rarely get proper snow bar a light dusting on the mountains. We get some frost/ice yes but that's it most of the time.

Even this winter has been better as we did get a slight dusting of snow in wexford a few weeks ago and prolonged frosty/icy conditions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I think we just need to accept that we are in Ireland and we rarely get proper snow bar a light dusting on the mountains. We get some frost/ice yes but that's it most of the time.

Even this winter has been better as we did get a slight dusting of snow in wexford a few weeks ago and prolonged frosty/icy conditions. :D

In a nutshell ,yes. then again,you have a few during the summer,more often than not in the Clonmel region, complaining that we dont get wall to wall sunshine.Its a miserable in between climate which will never change bar an odd year here and there,however most of us choose to live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Joe Bastardi tweeted a cross hemisphere easterly from Siberia to Canada and added the words . Beware Below :D
    He might be right

I used to listen to - and respect - him but he's just become a nutjob of late and I can't stomach him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

I used to listen to - and respect - him but he's just become a nutjob of late and I can't stomach him anymore.

I have to agree. I remember following him religiously through 2010 and that other gombeen Piers Corbyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I forgot about him. What happened to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A lot of 'respectable' people seem to have gone down the rabbit hole of prioritising staying relevant on social media over keeping their professional integrity. Whatever pays the bills I suppose..

pad199207 wrote: »
    I have to agree. I remember following him religiously through 2010 and that other gombeen Piers Corbyn.

I think Piers has been arrested more times lately than he has got forecasts right.

• Advertisement

We definitely get a few days of lying snow here. And the hills here can have snow for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I think Piers has been arrested more times lately than he has got forecasts right.

Yeah I heard he’s been in the bad books lately.

I will say one thing about him though I remember him saying before Winter 2010/11 that “it will be like hell frozen over at times”

To be fair he wasn’t far off.

The likes of Corbyn and Madden have been wrong far more times than have been right. They seem to get away with it because they are not under the same scrutiny as public service broadcasters are.

Met Eireann update

TUESDAY: A very wet day nationwide with heavy spells of rain, possibly turning wintry at times in the north. Spot flooding is likely with low cloud and mist too. Rather cold across the northern half of the country with highest temperatures ranging 4 to 8 degrees Celsius, in light variable breezes. Less cold across the southern half of Ireland with highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees Celsius. in moderate to fresh southwest breezes.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Scattered outbreaks of rain after dark with localised wintry falls. Frost and ice will set in too, especially across the northern half of Ireland. Lowest temperatures of -2 to + 5 degrees Celsius (north to south), in light to moderate north to northeast breezes.

WEDNEDAY: Outbreaks of rain, possibly turning to sleet and snow at times, in moderate northeast winds. Highest temperatures of 3 to 5 degrees Celsius generally, but ranging 8 to 10 degrees Celsius across southern counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I use to follow Simon keeling till you had to subscribe for everything of interest.
    A lot of the named so called forecasters are only interested in what revenue they can muster up rather than the given a forecast itself

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

Well, just wondering what ye think our chances are of getting a good fall of snow this February?
    What i call good is at least 3" of level snow in low lying areas. Any thoughts predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

It's hard enough forecasting what weather we will get this week never mind next February 😂

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Met Eireann update

TUESDAY: A very wet day nationwide with heavy spells of rain, possibly turning wintry at times in the north. Spot flooding is likely with low cloud and mist too. Rather cold across the northern half of the country with highest temperatures ranging 4 to 8 degrees Celsius, in light variable breezes. Less cold across the southern half of Ireland with highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees Celsius. in moderate to fresh southwest breezes.

TUESDAY NIGHT: Scattered outbreaks of rain after dark with localised wintry falls. Frost and ice will set in too, especially across the northern half of Ireland. Lowest temperatures of -2 to + 5 degrees Celsius (north to south), in light to moderate north to northeast breezes.

WEDNEDAY: Outbreaks of rain, possibly turning to sleet and snow at times, in moderate northeast winds. Highest temperatures of 3 to 5 degrees Celsius generally, but ranging 8 to 10 degrees Celsius across southern counties.

The likes of mountainy man may do well out of this, but it sounds like a horrible mess for those of us on lower ground. If only we had colder air in situ this could have been a great event quite widely. Hopefully at some stage we'll get a near nationwise event.

bazlers wrote: »
    Well, just wondering what ye think our chances are of getting a good fall of snow this February?
    What i call good is at least 3" of level snow in low lying areas. Any thoughts predictions?

It has to snow at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

bazlers wrote: »

Good way to work out the chances. Think back how many Februarys have had 3" of snow on low lying areas during your lifetime and work it out as a percentage against no snow.

As for predicting it... no one on here or anywhere else can tell you what the weather will be like in February.

Advertisement