Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

There has been no storms this winter that I can remember anyway. If it does turn unsettled hopefully we get some. I don't think the Iberian high is a cert yet. Beyond 5 days is a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if met eireann have a data base were you can check how many yellow etc warnings they have issued for each weather type since it launched?

Not really sure but Syran would be the man who would most likely know if such a database exists.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There has been no storms this winter that I can remember anyway. If it does turn unsettled hopefully we get some. I don't think the Iberian high is a cert yet. Beyond 5 days is a struggle.

I would not mind a storm at this stage, but there seems to be no real power in the Atlantic for that to happen.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think meteorological dejection has set in completely because I can't even remember the weather of last winter. Clearly, it wasn't even worth remembering.

Someone mentioned the 90s. Imagine if this forum had existed back then, and in the 60s, 70s and 80s as well. We'd be fondly reading up on the first hand accounts of the big events of those various eras, and wondering how it was even possible to get them in the first place.

Lucky you. It was non stop rain. I remember it was 15c in the middle of January during some of those winters back then. Even in a dire winter, you could eek out a couple of snow days, but not in some of those!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Does anyone know if met eireann have a data base were you can check how many yellow etc warnings they have issued for each weather type since it launched?

I'm almost certain they do, just not publicly available. They give an appendix of warnings issued during severe events if they release a major weather event report like the one for BFTE/Storm Emma. They also give the warnings they issued for named storms in their new Storm Centre feature here but it only goes back to Lorenzo in October 2019 as of right now.

Personally, I have only kept track of red warnings (the appendix of which I have shared on here before) because yellow ones are just not worth my time. I'm a bit indifferent with orange ones.

• Advertisement

Great winter lol
    I don't think so so far...
    Fi charts that never deliver
    The odd cm of snow here and there that barely lasts 24hrs
    A lot of frost I suppose
    But a lot of rain
    Even the London area are getting excited by a few hours of slop that's going to turn back to rain and wash it away

A bit of wintry weather away from the coasts in northern English cities where you'd expect it
    Great winter my Arse

We are south of the easterlies that the rupturing of the PV has caused
    Further rupture of it is only going to enhance by the looks of things those easterlies to our north all but cancelling cold feeds to us
    Just a warmed up occasional draft like the end of next week
    I'm not impressed and there's no point saying what's not there is there
    Thats called delusion
    Winter,you've 1 month to redeem yourself before you become a nuisance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I'm almost certain they do, just not publicly available. They give an appendix of warnings issued during severe events if they release a major weather event report like the one for BFTE/Storm Emma. They also give the warnings they issued for named storms in their new Storm Centre feature here but it only goes back to Lorenzo in October 2019 as of right now.

Personally, I have only kept track of red warnings (the appendix of which I have shared on here before) because yellow ones are just not worth my time. I'm a bit indifferent with orange ones.

Ok thanks. I might send them an email. I'll post in here if they reply.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Great winter lol
    I don't think so so far...
    Fi charts that never deliver
    The odd cm of snow here and there that barely lasts 24hrs
    A lot of frost I suppose
    But a lot of rain
    Even the London area are getting excited by a few hours of slop that's going to turn back to rain and wash it away

A bit of wintry weather away from the coasts in northern English cities where you'd expect it
    Great winter my Arse

We are south of the easterlies that the rupturing of the PV has caused
    Further rupture of it is only going to enhance by the looks of things those easterlies to our north all but cancelling cold feeds to us
    Just a warmed up occasional draft like the end of next week
    I'm not impressed and there's no point saying what's not there is there
    Thats called delusion
    Winter,you've 1 month to redeem yourself before you become a nuisance

But tell us how you really feel:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a miserable evening out side here in Meath. Rain belting off the south facing windows and pools of water all over the driveway and many more hours of heavy rain to follow.

Flooding could become a risk in some areas especially on Monday with another day of heavy rain and showers in between over this weekend. Could be another spell of rain on Tuesday also so a very wet few days to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with this. It's been a great winter so far, all that was missing was a decent snow event but I'm certainly not complaining

I wouldn't go as to say it's been "great", that's a *bit* of a stretch but it's refreshing to have at least something resembling winter (when it hasn't been cold rain that is).

Although there hasn't been much rain where I am, well relative to what I'm so used to seeing in most winters these days, the cold rain streamers early on 4th January and the wet slop on 27th December were very disappointing.

The irony of saying the above when it's lashing outside atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    a miserable evening out side here in Meath. Rain belting off the south facing windows and pools of water all over the driveway and many more hours of heavy rain to follow.

Flooding could become a risk in some areas especially on Monday with another day of heavy rain and showers in between over this weekend. Could be another spell of rain on Tuesday also so a very wet few days to come.

The exact same here in NCD. I wasn't expecting it at all. Whatever direction its coming from the rain its pelting off the windows at front of house so very noisy in sitting room even with TV on.

Hope its dry tomorrow for park.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

appledrop wrote: »
    The exact same here in NCD. I wasn't expecting it at all. Whatever direction its coming from the rain its pelting off the windows at front of house so very noisy in sitting room even with TV on.

Tomorrow Sunday and most of Monday will be ideal for the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

appledrop wrote: »

Same here in SCD. Rain is pelting against the windows and the wind sounds like we are in the middle of a named storm. Second half of next week can’t come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

All this winter doom and gloom has me reminiscing over the BFTE 3 years ago. When will we ever see a Met Eireann forecast like it again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's been raining pretty much since 5 here in Carrick on Shannon, mild with 8c, as the front passes over Ireland it will turn to snow over Eastern pasts of England, Norfolk and East anglia

Tomorrow Sunday and most of Monday will be ideal for the park :)

Thank god. I kinda got caught out with wfh this week, got no lunch breaks and then when 5 came its pitch black.

Spring was great because you could head to park after work for an hour as still bright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

That wind in north county Wicklow is definitely worth a yellow warning. Proper howling gales!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with this. It's been a great winter so far, all that was missing was a decent snow event but I'm certainly not complaining

I tend to sway warmly to this comment.

I've lived alot of winters in Ireland at this stage and have the currency of experience to feel comfortable in elaborating further...

I'd rank 2010-11 as the best winter, followed by 95-96 then 2017-18 and 2009-10 just from personal experience.

The data and snowcover cm data may or may not agree with any or all of the above, but the weather at the time is what you make of it, let alone dare even to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Danno wrote: »
    I tend to sway warmly to this comment.

I've lived alot of winters in Ireland at this stage and have the currency of experience to feel comfortable in elaborating further...

I'd rank 2010-11 as the best winter, followed by 95-96 then 2017-18 and 2009-10 just from personal experience.

The data and snowcover cm data may or may not agree with any or all of the above, but the weather at the time is what you make of it, let alone dare even to enjoy it.
    From the February/ March 2018 snowfalls what was the greatest depth recorded?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Still down for snow from Wednesday evening onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Still down for snow from Wednesday evening onwards.

For some inland areas of Ulster, especially North Ulster, this could well be the case with regards to lying snow as long as you are inland enough not be caught up in the maritime influence. Altitude may also be of great benefit too.

The above is based on the current data to hand and is of course subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

bazlers wrote: »
    From the February/ March 2018 snowfalls what was the greatest depth recorded?

IIRC 69cm was the deepest recorded.

Snowing nicely in Paris at the moment I see

Potential for snow on Ulster hills on Tuesday? I am forecast 4-5c and heavy rain all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the mild muck we've experienced for the past week is finally breaking through to the eastern side of the UK. The last cold spell persisted from Christmas Eve until last night across much of Scotland and eastern England. East Anglia is hanging onto the last of the cold.

temp_uk.png

colder air comes back from Wednesday, it may only last a few days or it could go on for longer. Beginning mild on Wednesday but colder air digging in may undercut the band of rain with a possibility of rain turning to sleet or wet snow on it's back edge as it pushes south-eastwards.

96-574UK.GIF?16-6

On Thursday another system pushes south and this could be of mixed wintry precipitation. This could very well contain a mild sector tho so cold rain is probably what we will end up with.

120-574UK.GIF?16-6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A nice bright day here in wexford.

Nice and sunny this morning but more overcast in afternoon.

Had a brilliant few hours out in park. We all had wellies/ hiking boots + we needed them as very mucky underfoot.

All the other kids wanted to jump in puddles like my little boy!

Ah can relax now in cosy house.

Cloudy and cool here. 5c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Beautiful day in Galway. Dry and bright. I think its around 11C too. Toasty!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement