Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

it's such a great morning in Dublin 5, clear skies and frosty, pretty much the best possible combination if there isn't going to be snow. I wasn't expecting the frost since over the last few years, my area has generally stayed frost-free (excluding this winter of course).

Gorgeous morning here too
    Nicer than during the 'cold spell'

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1365215727670673409?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Joyous in D5, no wind and sun splitting the sky. Off for a run now in the park, reminds me of last Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Beautiful morning also here lovely light in the early morning sky. Is tomorrow looking gloomy though as per ME last night?

IMG-20210226-WA0009.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Really beautiful day in Dublin.

Sunny, temp 9c, calm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Was sunny earlier with light winds but it's mostly cloudy now with a fresh breeze in North Kildare.

Sunny, temp 9c, calm here.

You must be very sheltered at your location, Kermit, as mean winds at nearby Dublin airport are around 25 km/h for the past few hours. And looking at some of the traffic cameras around the M50, clouds are building fairly quickly so your sunny/clear sky conditions are probably already gone as I type.

Just got my grass cut, praise the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Tried to cut mine earlier, but was still very wet after a heavy frost overnight. Need a good warm southerly to dry out the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I came across this earlier. Found it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

20 years ago today saw what I always think is the 'forgotten' snowfall which is strange as the 00s were snowless except for a bit of slush at xmas '04 and a dusting I think in Feb '09.
    Monday the 26th was a very wet day in eastern areas with a low over the Irish Sea, in the evening the low drifted SE dragging in very cold air and the rain turned to snow. This was the only occasion that I can remember seeing rain turning to snow in Ireland, of course snow turning to rain is as common as muck! It is a myth that snow will not stick because the ground is too wet, if the air temperature drops to freezing or below snow will lie immediately.
    I can remember recording temperatures as low as -8c after the fall and only around 2c by day in dazzling sunshine, snow lay in places that had shade around noon for the best part of a week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0227/12848-snow/
    https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=28&month=2&year=2001&hour=0&type=ncep&map=1&type=ncep&region=&mode=0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I came across this earlier. Found it interesting.

Forgive my stupidity but what is that showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

20 years ago today saw what I always think is the 'forgotten' snowfall which is strange as the 00s were snowless except for a bit of slush at xmas '04 and a dusting I think in Feb '09.
    Monday the 26th was a very wet day in eastern areas with a low over the Irish Sea, in the evening the low drifted SE dragging in very cold air and the rain turned to snow. This was the only occasion that I can remember seeing rain turning to snow in Ireland, of course snow turning to rain is as common as muck! It is a myth that snow will not stick because the ground is too wet, if the air temperature drops to freezing or below snow will lie immediately.
    I can remember recording temperatures as low as -8c after the fall and only around 2c by day in dazzling sunshine, snow lay in places that had shade around noon for the best part of a week.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0227/12848-snow/
    https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=28&month=2&year=2001&hour=0&type=ncep&map=1&type=ncep&region=&mode=0

I remember it Elmer. Was living in Dublin at the time. Gerry Ryan was playing Christmas songs the following morning on 2FM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

The jpeg pretty much tells you everything by way of the explanation of what is in the graphs. UVB is the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn/cancers and the bigger the numbers, the more UVB that is present. So the graphs show that there is quite a disparity regarding the amount of UVB reaching ground level between the north and south of the country and to a lesser extent, the west and east.

Entering "UVB" into a search engine such as Google will tell you everything you want to know about UVB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I see highdef already answered. It was from a study on vitamin d in Ireland. Link below.

https://www.tcd.ie/news_events/articles/irish-winter-sunshine-important-for-our-vitamin-d-levels-study-shows/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

65 mm of rainfall here this month. Just about average, but most of the month has been rain free. Infact about 2mm of that rain was from frost. The grass around here is still brown from the cold spell and has not recovered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

More lawnmowers on the go today in the local area. Will get around to giving my lawn it's first cut of the season next week before any potential unsettled weather comes back. The garden hasn't been this dry since the beginning of June despite over 100mm of rain here during January and February. All the wind and mild temperatures of the past 2 weeks has been great at drying out the saturated land, something that wasn't possible throughout most of the summer, Autumn and Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunning evening in East Cork, not a breathe of wind.

huhGNNw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gonzo wrote: »
    More lawnmowers on the go today in the local area. Will get around to giving my lawn it's first cut of the season next week before any potential unsettled weather comes back. The garden hasn't been this dry since the beginning of June despite over 100mm of rain here during January and February. All the wind and mild temperatures of the past 2 weeks has been great at drying out the saturated land, something that wasn't possible throughout most of the summer, Autumn and Winter.

I got my first cut done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Went out on the sand banks at 10 this morning, lovely sunny morning in West Clare, not a breeze to be felt. Sadly it had become overcast by midday, but was a fantastic morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Another cracking morning in D24, not a cloud to be seen nor a breath of wind to be felt. My wife's daffodils are looking fit and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Yes absolutely beautiful sunshine and calm conditions in Firhouse D24.
    I've even been able to hang out washing to dry this week, amazing!
    Yesterday also very nice but had clouded over by afternoon, hopefully we might keep the sun a little longer today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just back from a long walk, stunning morning. Definitely cutting the grass today, it's driving me mad looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

What a sublime morning :) good for the soul. East Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another absolutely stunning morning again today.

The sea was so calm and beautiful yesterday.

Not even a slight breeze and we had great fun making sandcastles and collecting shells on beach.

Of course we had to get ice cream despite the big long queue!

yes doesn't get much better than this for me, make the most of it, happy sunday all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Goodbye winter 2020/2021, I won't remember you much in years to come.
    Roll on some spring warmth now please :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks to everyone on Winter 20/21 - Reading all these threads kept me entertained throughout the long winter !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

An average winter in my books with its good moments like the 24 January localised snowfall and 6 December ice day/freezing fog but also its bad moments like how unsettled it was and late January to mid-February dull period. Not one I'll remember for how bad or how good it was overall.

Least it's ended on a grand note though, in fact the perfect end to winter for me. Since Thursday, it has been so nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

last day of winter 2020/2021 and another mild, dry and sunny day. February is now ending as a very mild month, the mean at Dunsany is now at 6.0C with many stations across the country between 6.0 and 6.6C for February.

I think overall this might get classed as an average winter in general as the first 3 weeks of December were largely milder than average after a chilly start with frost and fog. The last 2 and a half weeks of February were also milder than average, often substantially so. We did have a cool spell from Christmas Eve to the beginning of the second week of February, however this cool spell was only slightly cooler than average for much of the time with only a handful of notably colder days in January and early February.

Local stats for Winter:

December
    mean: 4.5C (average 5.1C)
    Rainfall: 89mm

January
    mean: 3.5C (average 4.5C)
    Rainfall: 104.7mm

February (up to 27th)
    mean: 6.0C (average 4.5C)
    Rainfall: 100.5mm

Advertisement