Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Those showers in the irish sea, you gotta love them, now im not in a rush for snow, cos the land needs drying out, but yesterday morning it teemed rain on and off here for about an hour to 2 hours, this morning, nothing absolutely nothing, ha

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Microscopic dots of white powder spitting from grey skies. Ground dry and hard. Cold breeze would skin you. Forecast for this area of West Wicklow is snow Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Very confusing but a welcome change from the rain.

Whatever about snow, the drying out of soggy ground is welcome. Its impressive how much things have dried since yesterday

Nothing dries out the land like an easterly.

Heavy skies and spitting snizzle here in Cork. Bitterly cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Nice, crisp and sunny day here. Glad to see this cold spell has been extended!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Closest we've got to snow in D5 is a few bits of what looked like polystyrene floating about in the wind.
    It's really windy though, I'm going to go for a long walk later anyway by hook or by crook. The bad weather, lockdown, the greyness... When will it ever end :'(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Cold and grey in South Kildare but it's dry with a nice bracing cold wind. Today was the first day in ages that I didn't have to sponge down the dog after her walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry and bright here in Castlebar. Grand day for a bit of work outdoors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Finally some sunshine in Donegal today, clouding over again now but great to open the curtains to blue skies for once

Dry and bright here in Castlebar. Grand day for a bit of work outdoors

Oscar Braveo. I ventured out a while ago and beat a fairly hasty retreat. Bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I love being outside in this weather. Give me this anytime over the crap we had to endure last week

• Advertisement

I love being outside in this weather. Give me this anytime over the crap we had to endure last week

I normally would too, but I goat soaked and picked up a cold while out on the bike yesterday so I'm chilled to the bone despite the house being toasty. Can't heat up.

Just read the UKMO latest update, it looks like more of the same - Atlantic fronts coming up against a cold block, so hopefully more snow opportunities for us. Two things seems apparent from it though: no lengthy deep freeze by the sounds of it. Also, they seem fairly confidence of drier and colder weather going into March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just read the UKMO latest update, it looks like more of the same - Atlantic fronts coming up against a cold block, so hopefully more snow opportunities for us. Two things seems apparent from it though: no lengthy deep freeze by the sounds of it. Also, they seem fairly confidence of drier and colder weather going into March.

I sense overall from last nights models and todays models that the chances of getting a real beast over the next 2 weeks has reduced alot. The real cold looks like staying in eastern and south-eastern Europe after this weekend. We could well be in for alot of dry weather in the coming weeks and after the very wet winter we've had we really need some weeks of dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another grey, dreary, windy, freezing day in Dublin.

Rain clouds replaced with some sleet& hail showers.

Forecast of significant snows doesn't look like a runner to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

appledrop wrote: »
    Another grey, dreary, windy, freezing day in Dublin.

Rain clouds replaced with some sleet& hail showers.

Forecast of significant snows doesn't look like a runner to me.

Give it 30 minutes, or so, and see what you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I just watched a weather forecast on BBC NEWS and it said the Atlantic will try to break through but "the cold air from the east will win by the end of the week" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice to see this graphic on www.meteireann.ie for Thursday, still a few days to go yet though.

542574.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

I just watched a weather forecast on BBC NEWS and it said the Atlantic will try to break through but "the cold air from the east will win by the end of the week" :)

Michelle Dillon mentioning the word ‘battle’ on Friday between the milder air to the south-west and the colder air to teh east. Intriguing to see how this will play out. She didn’t go beyond Friday and rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

All we are getting here in NCD is hail showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Nice footage, from the days when half of all cars had one light missing and everyone drove a Toyota

To be fair they last better than Skodas or VWs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snow falling again tonight after drying up today here in Brussels - temperature down at -8C currently. From tomorrow morning it'll probably be dry for the rest of the week, with the cold hanging around it might well turn into an ice rink!

148323328-794954551107266-7883006350053720679-n.jpg

-1.3c and clear with a veering slight wind. Temp drop is slow but gradual. There doesn’t appear to be any frost.

High was supposedly 3.2c in the morning (but temp dropped to 1.5c quickly after it clouded over). The temp stayed around 2.4/2.5c for most of the day. So going to say really more like 2.6c.

Next winter, when we most likely have our default NH profile, we will look back on this winter and wonder what might have been. Some fantastic synoptics ,that held out the potential for some classic wintry epsiodes, but in reality we ended up with mediocre surface conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Next winter, when we most likely have our default NH profile, we will look back on this winter and wonder what might have been. Some fantastic synoptics ,that held out the potential for some classic wintry epsiodes, but in reality we ended up with mediocre surface conditions

Maybe synoptics will be just as good next winter and we'll benefit from them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It's weather. Computers can predict it, not create it.

Nationwide Snow warning for Thursday :

Met Éireann Weather Warning

A band of sleet and snow spreading northeastwards during Thursday giving snow accumulations of up to 5cm in some areas (higher over the mountains), but transitioning to rain in the west and south on Thursday night.

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 11/02/2021 to 08:00 Friday 12/02/2021

Issued: 10:00 Tuesday 09/02/2021

Some nice spells of sunshine here just outside Castlebar this morning. A bit more cloud now but the same theme continues. Cold windy but dry.

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Maybe synoptics will be just as good next winter and we'll benefit from them :D

I see the CFS has a blizzard for December 22nd this year. Let the countdown begin:pac:

Up hiking and the ground is frozen solid. You would not however know it’s subzero! Doesn’t feel cold at all.

• Advertisement

The only sign it is subzero:

EBNQHKQ.jpg

Advertisement