Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Yes parts of St Anne's I've never seen so waterlogged.
    I remember a Paddy's day in around 98 or 99 and it was 17c and totally blue skies and sunny in Dublin, anyone remember this? I went to Zanzibar on the quays!

Yes, it was 1999! I remember being in town in short sleeves. We ended up in Danger Doyles, I was 16 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Windy,dry,cloudy and feeling very cold, currently 4.6C, expect its going to be like this until Thursday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dreadful wet morning again here.

We are the same here and there is now a wind added to it that would cut you in two.

I thought we would at least get some dry sunny weather if it was going to be so cold

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperature dropping steadily at Howth this morning, now 3.8/1.4, the cold air is not far offshore.

Temperature dropping steadily at Howth this morning, now 3.8/1.4, the cold air is not far offshore.

4.8/0.6 in Arklow
    Wind E gusting 35kmh
    Cloudy dry
    No rain since midnight here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dry overnight and this morning in Dublin, breezy but very pleasant

Wet here in NCD but hopefully it clears up later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

My garden was resembling a swamp past few days,dried up nicely over night

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Slight drizzle here in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Raining Meath. I feel like I'm back in the West, the forever rain lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sleety shower in Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ah yeah I know, different strokes, but they're fretting over it like a bunch of bored people waiting for cocaine to arrive at a party or something.

That's a bit harsh. The excitement is in the chase, the reward is if it does turn out as forecast.
    Not expecting any snow myself in Galway, I am a storm and snow lover and this event gives me neither, but I will be happy with a few dry days.
    Sun days are as rare as snow days in my part of the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

pad199207 wrote: »
    Sleety shower in Kildare

That passed through here in Dublin 16.

Sort of encouraged that despite wind being due east, there is a little bit of a north of east flow pushing the showers.

3.0c now in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dewpoint gone sub zero here in Kildare with increasing flakeyness in the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Two full weeks of greyness now, at least the ground has dried up with the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very blustery here now, not too cold yet, just as well with that breeze.The ground is drying out nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Very blustery here now, not too cold yet, just as well with that breeze.The ground is drying out nicely.

Noticed that also, ground is drying all morning. First time in weeks. Bite to the wind now.

Yeah, places away from the east coast should have little problem with snow sticking come tomorrow. I just hope this breeze keeps up as it will drive showers well inland too.
    It will stay dry here, but hopefully it means more places can see snow before Thursday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,755 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the ground is drying so quickly, I've spoken plenty of times about my disaster of a garden and the constant squelchy sounds over the past few weeks. I have never seen such saturated soil dry out so quickly in a short space of time. We still had some random bursts of heavy rain here last night and the ground looks like it hasn't rained in a few days. This should help with snowfall if we get some decent showers between tomorrow and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

Cold wind here now, 2c feels colder in exposed places. Mullaghcleevaun at 849 meters has a snow covered top, ground drying here at 220 meters West Wicklow but not as quickly as other places. Grey skies looking ominous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNskc7NN-OA

BBC mentioning the Thursday event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Only noticed that RTÉ archived this broadcast from February 1991 (30 years ago now) today. One for the Corkians it seems.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0118/1190407-big-freeze-set-to-continue/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great drying here in Kerry the last few days ( even with the showers ) and especially today staying dry and cloudy with bright spells. Constant breeze , predominantly E'ly, and at times strong enough, cold just getting up to 6.2C but great day for working around the garden, been a great few days to get a wood work project completed . Thankfully can walk on the land again, been saturated for what seems like ages although we did cut the grass in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Only noticed that RTÉ archived this broadcast from February 1991 (30 years ago now) today. One for the Corkians it seems.

Charts for back then. Stiff northeasterly surface winds, with regular snow showers and longer spells of snow. A couple of days later there were 10 cm at Dublin Airport.

542478.png

542479.png

542480.png

542481.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

I have hazy childhood memories of Feb 1991 in D.16. About 9-10cm in Dublin seems bang on. If remember correctly there was one main snowfall event that started in the late afternoon and lasted long into the evening with strong winds and blizzard conditions at times. The snow on the ground stuck around for a few days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

sryanbruen wrote: »

Nice footage, from the days when half of all cars had one light missing and everyone drove a Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nice footage, from the days when half of all cars had one light missing and everyone drove a Toyota

Opel were big back then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Opel were big back then too.

yes! everytime Ireland played 100 Opels were sold :)

Not sure when this was filmed but it's a trip fro.m Wickliw town to Arklow and back driving into the Bridgewater centre in Arklow, up the main St and into tesco
    I suspect it was 2018,a bit into the thaw
    No snow hardly at all in Wicklow town but a lot left in Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Or a Datsun 120Y held together with rust

• Advertisement

Whatever about snow, the drying out of soggy ground is welcome. Its impressive how much things have dried since yesterday

Advertisement