Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

The beast from the east in February and March 2018 was one of the greatest snow events ever in Ireland. I would gladly take that again. It even snowed during the st Patrick's day parade in 2018 here in Dublin

quote="Little snowy old me;116124838"]If next weeks cold spell fails to materialise then I'm going to start focusing on Spring and wishing for an early one. I consider snow events after mid February as not the real McCoy. To much disappointment every time a cold spell is possible but disappears off the morning runs. There's only so much '7 days out' I can handle![/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

If next weeks cold spell fails to materialise then I'm going to start focusing on Spring and wishing for an early one. I consider snow events after mid February as not the real McCoy. To much disappointment every time a cold spell is possible but disappears off the morning runs. There's only so much '7 days out' I can handle!

Oh yes Spring really sprung in March 2018 :D
    But always good to prepare no matter what the weather :)
    541695.jpg

bazlers wrote: »
    Can someone jog my memory but how far out were we discussing the BFTE back in Feb 2018? Was there consensus early on it was on the cards? Getting old.

Well telegraphed due to the robustness of the high pressure set up to align the cold towards us.

541697.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Rougies wrote: »
    I'll never understand this sentiment. I've seen some posters disregard Feb/March 2018 as if it never happened because "it wasn't REAL winter" or something along those lines. Each to their own, but if there's a full on blizzard raging outside with a multiple feet of snow it's the "real McCoy" for me, no matter what the calendar says.

LOSM is on the WUM as usual :pac: like clockwork that fella

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

We have a very odd situation here. It’s bone dry down here but as one drives up in elevation, a light snow starts that becomes progressively heavier with elevation.

Up at 300 metres there is a sugar dusting of snow.

uyA69c0.jpg
    Hy4LzzT.jpg

https://streamable.com/mhn3zf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

At least it’s cold though perish the thought it might be mild.

To be honest Clonmel, i have no problem with the cold as long as its dry, it can be as cold as it likes, just really dislike the rain

Edit: Sun peaking through the clouds, better run out and make the most of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Can someone jog my memory but how far out were we discussing the BFTE back in Feb 2018? Was there consensus early on it was on the cards? Getting old.

I remember getting serious kudos from friends and family on Facebook for ‘forecasting’ Emma and the Beast from the East that year.

Just checked Facebook and I warned them February 22nd with confidence and Emma hit Feb 28th but I mentioned not being under streamers much to my cousin in a reply to his kudos reply, so the Streamers likely started a day or two before Emma hit. It was probably talked about on the forums for a few days before I felt confident enough to post about it on FB on the 22nd. ie 6 days before Emma hit but likely 4 days before Streamers started.

FB post reminded me of my disappointment with the BFTE and Emma from a highly NIMBY perspective. IOM shadow effed Bray again and we weren’t under streamers for long so only got about 3 inches and then Emma arrived with such high winds that for the first few hundred meters in from Bray seafront the snow was melting as fast as the Blizzard could dump it because of the Salty Sea Spray lifted up by the gale force winds. Bray Seafront levels stubbornly remained at 3 inches and became slushy all the while from Bray mainstreet back into the rest of Bray and up higher in Bray ended up with 12+ inches on the level and meters high drifts.

Also warned a skeptical Fuel Merchant at the harbour that I hoped he had enough stock to take advantage. When I went back for more logs a few days after Emma he thanked me for the advance warning.

LMFAO at the panic buying, empty shelves and bread shortages because I had bought 2 weeks worth of food a day or two before the BFTE was to arrive. While I’m only 5 minutes walk from a Tesco’s and Dunnes in Bray so it's not like I was hunkering down for a cut off Roundwood or anything like that, but it was still handy to not have to worry whether the shelves would be empty of certain ingredients for those 2 weeks of meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Models looking good. But to far out for any certainty. Part of me knows that this will all go pear shaped by mid week but I'm an optimist so I'm hoping for a good classic cold spell. Not looking for blizzards but a good decent fall of snow followed by gloriously cold days and freezing clear nights. I remember back in the late 60s and 70s and 80s that we would get at least 3 or 4 such days every winter, even winters that were overall mild and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Watching CNBC for all the stock market shenanigans and they're covering the Nor'Easter stateside. Epic snow.

Fingers crossed Dublins looking similar this time next week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To be honest Clonmel, i have no problem with the cold as long as its dry, it can be as cold as it likes, just really dislike the rain

Edit: Sun peaking through the clouds, better run out and make the most of it

Agree 100% I’ll take dry over anything and if it’s mild even better. Cold rain and sleet etc is miserable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo and Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain on Monday night followed by frequent showers during Tuesday will give rainfall accumulations of around 30 to 40mm, bringing a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 20:00 Monday 01/02/2021 to 23:59 Tuesday 02/02/2021

Issued: 12:00 Monday 01/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

We got snow on Jan 22nd as forecasted by Ken Ring back in early Jan. He might be right again with Feb below.
    Not sure about the hot from Aug to Dec bit!

Ken Ring
    @kenringweather
    ·
    Jan 3
    Weather for 2021
    Ireland; drier, warmer and sunnier than average year. Hot from Aug to Dec.
    UK; snow expected from 13-23 Jan, and 9-17 Feb. Dry year with heat-waves in late Aug.
    USA; severe snowstorm expected for NYC on 27 Feb. Year of droughts expected.
    http://predictweather.com

We got snow on Jan 22nd as forecasted by Ken Ring back in early Jan. He might be right again with Feb below.
    Not sure about the hot from Aug to Dec bit!

Oh dear, don't mention the war. We got rid of him off here a good while ago and long may it last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I immediately think of what escapes through rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

People get excited about cold snowy weather because it's a rarity, and before Covid, meant a chance of a couple of days at home. I'd love to see how modern Ireland would cope with a 1947 or 1963 winter. I've only experienced one winter event that came close - lasted more than 4 or 5 days, and that was December 2010. 82,87 etc were great but short-lived. We'd take an 82 or 87 now for sure I bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

Just want 2 - 3 feet of lying snow in blizzard conditions, maybe the power gone for 3 days or so..reading of -15 to - 18. Hardly that much to ask for really.
    Sure its coming from Siberia...gets to -60 there. ; )

Just want 2 - 3 feet of lying snow in blizzard conditions, maybe the power gone for 3 days or so..reading of -15 to - 18. Hardly that much to ask for really.
    Sure its coming from Siberia...gets to -60 there. ; )

That’s a lot to ask for considering we only reached that in 2010.

You need at least a week or two of very cold air pooling to develop those temperatures. And of course the cloud has to be non existent which has been a problem for mins in recent cold spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

People get excited about cold snowy weather because it's a rarity, and before Covid, meant a chance of a couple of days at home. I'd love to see how modern Ireland would cope with a 1947 or 1963 winter. I've only experienced one winter event that came close - lasted more than 4 or 5 days, and that was December 2010. 82,87 etc were great but short-lived. We'd take an 82 or 87 now for sure I bet.

4 or 5 days? That a joke? we were in the freezer for 75% of that month with December the coldest month on record. In my locality of Cavan between 19th - 25th of Decemeber it never got above -5 with the 21st reaching a high of -9.4... It doesnt get more severe than that and probably never will

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yes and this is due to the ever present Azores High on the charts quoted here.
    I'm not passing any remarks on "snowy" forecasts while that is hanging around like a red sore thumb.

4w7q24.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

2018 was ridiculously good snow, at least in the east it was. Did you not get plastered with snow during storm Emma? One of the great Irish snow events In my opinion. I even remember walking along the coast road in Dublin one evening and the depth of snow on the coast was even phenomenal. We had substantial lying snow for quite a long time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Uk Met Office outlook:

Saturday 6 Feb - Monday 15 Feb

Remaining unsettled for much of the UK on Saturday with showers and longer spells of precipitation, wintry in places, especially in northern areas with a risk of heavy snowfall. High pressure then looks to gradually build to the north, which will introduce cold and dry weather across the UK, with widespread overnight frosts, though wintry showers could still feed in from the east coast at times. It will likely feel cold, or rather cold, especially in brisk easterly winds. Icy stretches along with other disruptive wintry hazards, remain a possibility for all areas. There also remains the possibility of milder and wetter conditions fringing the far northwest at times, along with organised areas of cloud and precipitation making limited progress inland from the southwest.

Updated: 04:00 (UTC) on Mon 1 Feb 2021

Monday 15 Feb - Monday 1 Mar

Confidence is low for mid-February onwards however similar conditions look most likely with high pressure remaining to the north of the UK, bringing overall colder than average conditions and below average precipitation amounts. Throughout this period the risk of wintry hazards continues to be greater than normal with snowfall possible for all areas, but most likely in eastern areas. There remains the possibility of less cold interludes occurring from the west and southwest, bringing wetter and milder conditions. In such instances, at the boundary between cold and mild air masses, there remains the risk of disruptive snowfall.

They have nailed it so far this winter. That to me would suggest no prolonged cold spell for us, but it could lead to snowy outcomes at times if we can get fairly cold air in before any Atlantic incursions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Found today pleasant in Dublin, bright enough and no wind, lovely for my lunchtime jog. My local park is like a swamp however i cant wait to be able to run on grass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Found today pleasant in Dublin, bright enough and no wind, lovely for my lunchtime jog. My local park is like a swamp however i cant wait to be able to run on grass again.

Its the one thing noticed this winter is how calm its been. Very little wind.. personally it makes the cold and the rain more bearable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Its the one thing noticed this winter is how calm its been. Very little wind.. personally it makes the cold and the rain more bearable

Autumn was calm as well. One of the calmest autumn winters i can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Well they have went and done it....:eek::eek:

fDM0XXa.png

t9ZAvXQ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

bosco12345 wrote: »
    4 or 5 days? That a joke? we were in the freezer for 75% of that month with December the coldest month on record. In my locality of Cavan between 19th - 25th of Decemeber it never got above -5 with the 21st reaching a high of -9.4... It doesnt get more severe than that and probably never will

Think you are misreading that post. He's saying that the only event longer than the 4-5 day events like '82 and '87 was December 2010. He is not saying Dec 2010 was only a 4-5 day event.

(That said, I think '82 and '87 were week long affairs IIRC.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Or April 1917, where up to 2 ft of level snow was reported with drifting of an unimageable scale.

New Moon

Very heavy rain in Derry and 3c. Such a waste of cold air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

Horrible dark and wet cold day in letterkenny. Temp around 3c all day. Plenty of rain coming tonight and a lot forcasted for next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will give an unpopular opinion.

This is the year we could have done with a mild winter, the signs are a lot of cold are coming. We have to take what comes.
    What I mean is for the vaccination program, which is our only way out of this pandemic nightmare.
    Snow and ice has the potential to offer set backs.
    In the North East of the US where they are having a lot of snow, the vaccination program is affected.

Advertisement