Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Snow/Ice warning for Connacht, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Laois, Longford, Louth, Wicklow, Offaly, Westmeath and Meath

Wintry falls with some accumulations possible.

Valid: 06:00 Sunday 31/01/2021 to 18:00 Sunday 31/01/2021

Issued: 13:00 Saturday 30/01/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why would they issue a warning for just ****ty weather below all criteria? Just because you don't want to bring kids out in rain doesn't mean the national met office should issue a warning. Horribleness is not a criterion that any sane met service would use. It's nothing special when it comes to winds. :rolleyes:

No need for that, it's absolutely horrible out, can't remember it being this bad in Dublin for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No need for that, it's absolutely horrible out, can't remember it being this bad in Dublin for ages.

It's horrible, yes, but no need for a warning. Some people are all too quick to jump to conclusions without bothering to check the facts. Same every time. Some want a warning when not warranted, others complaining when they are issued.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I am up at 300 metres and it is BITTERLY, BITTERLY cold. Stiff NE winds, my ears and hands are burning!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

It honestly is just a bog standard mank day in Dublin 9.

It really has not been as windy as I expected since last night with an east based wind.

Looks wilder at the coast. Rough seas.

• Advertisement

Quite a lot of flooding around the Arklow area
    Fire brigade are busy
    A number of streams have burst their banks,one of them blocking my main route into town

• Registered Users Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I went for a walk earlier there is a bite to the wind here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gorey

53-EE7-DB5-4069-4-FCF-BCA8-BCE5-A9-AD26-E9.jpg

Here, are some brief photos I took earlier from my north coast. Don't be fooled by the blue skies, it was 2c and blowing a stiff NE wind. Certainly bitterly cold.

There is still some patches of snow above 500 metres on Slieve Snaght. Probably more on the Sperrins.

0n3qLce.jpeg

We had a clear view of Islay and the Paps of Jura:

1ygHiC3.jpg

My Iphone camera does not do the clarity of the photos justice, I could see the cliffs on the Oa Peninsula, quite clearly.

The Sand Dunes of Magilligan and the far NE of Donegal. You can see the size of the waves on the beach, illustrating the strength of the wind..

o8i2wdg.jpg

Portrush, Portstewart, the Skerries and the Kintyre Peninsula in the far east. The large hill, or small mountain is Knocklayde, outside Ballycastle.

W8zIQzz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I am up at 300 metres and it is BITTERLY, BITTERLY cold. Stiff NE winds, my ears and hands are burning!

Was just looking at Wundermap and the warmest station showing on the map view on Ulster is Limavady @ 6°. Is this warmer than forecast? I would've thought you'd be in the colder air all the way up there? I'm at 3.4° in North Kildare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Great photos Nqp!
    Looks bracing alright.
    Fingers crossed for loads of snow.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

highdef wrote: »
    Was just looking at Wundermap and the warmest station showing on the map view on Ulster is Limavady @ 6°. Is this warmer than forecast? I would've thought you'd be in the colder air all the way up there? I'm at 3.4° in North Kildare.

It is is partly sunny with a stiff NE wind, and it is 4c.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ILIMAVAD8

NB: you are under cloud and a frontal system that will introduce evaporative cooling. That does not mean the atmosphere is colder where you are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Amazing photos Npq.

Cant see us getting any snow here in Dublin but might have a chance up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

pad199207 wrote: »
    Gorey

53-EE7-DB5-4069-4-FCF-BCA8-BCE5-A9-AD26-E9.jpg

Thats bad alright, would that area usually flood?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The worst flooding I've seen in quite some time here at Dunshaughlin, the main roads are fine but side roads are flooded, passed through 3 floods on my way to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

appledrop wrote: »
    Seriously is this some joke by Met Eireann?

Should be yellow warning for rain and wind for Dublin.

Why do people care so much about a measly warning. Would a yellow warning change the weather? Everyone knew today was going to be horrendous

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

At least it's a dry afternoon in Offaly but that strong wind, slices right through you. 'When the wind is in the East tisn't fit for man nor beast'. So true. Temperature hovering around 4. Looks likely we will see sleet or snow tomorrow from morning till afternoon. Could be a messy mix. Back roads here will be awful if it happens.

The ground is still partially frozen here above 400 metres. Odd

nBMJxcR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I went for a walk earlier there is a bite to the wind here

A bit of a nip in that wind alright. My weather station is also feeling the chill as currently showing a 'feels like' temp of -0.6c:

Kp7PvMo.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

It's bitter here in mohill, 3c bring on the snow, anyone else notice that it snows mainly on the weekends lately for people that live in the North or Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

• Registered Users Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's horrible, yes, but no need for a warning. Some people are all too quick to jump to conclusions without bothering to check the facts. Same every time. Some want a warning when not warranted, others complaining when they are issued.

Calm down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A few of the rough seas around high tide earlier in the Dún Laoghaire area*. Been a while since I've seen seas as rough as this on the east coast (yes I know a standard day for west coastians :P ), perhaps roughest since Storm Emma in 2018; that I've seen anyway.

*These snaps were taken as part of a college portfolio and from a safe distance.

oGJuMV3.jpg

CCkTDSQ.jpg

fB286bh.jpg

JUf48RZ.jpg

The last one is a bit out of focus.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great pics sryanbruen.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Great pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

lawred2 wrote: »
    Calm down

Maybe also say that to the person I was replying to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »

Looking at the reanalysis maps (this one for 6pm - 2hrs before the crash) it looks as if a powerful cold front would have been moving through around the time of the crash.

ERA_1_1925013018_2.png

New Moon

Advertisement