Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Taken from twitter

Rough conditions in Muff today, bottom of grannies gap very slippy.

twitter.com/DonegalWeatherC/status/1356586737481502721

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Getting very fed up with this Atlantic muck at this stage. The past week is giving the wettest weeks we had during October and November 2019 a run for their money. The past 4 days have been particularly bad here in Meath. Side roads flooded again near Dunshaughlin and fields are waterlogged for several days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

There is some real divergence over the weekend with that low pressure over the low countries moving a little north on some models and making it a disruptor to a clean easterly flow. The Euro models in general are much better.

Will it stay that way? Time will tell.

I'm still confident though.

What will become of your thread? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

There is some real divergence over the weekend with that low pressure over the low countries moving a little north on some models and making it a disruptor to a clean easterly flow. The Euro models in general are much better.

Will it stay that way? Time will tell.

I'm still confident though.

It's over isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lol was waiting for you to appear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its milder today. Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

You must have missed his post in the winter forum earlier Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Like clockwork.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Having my lunch break at work and roaring laughing reading back over the posts, needed that:D

Dreary damp morning in Tralee has cleared up now, much brighter and sky clearing, mild in general but feeling a bit fresher now. Air was great while out for a quick walk.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quick look at ECM 06Z and showing increasingly cold into Fri, just goes up to later Fri, showing 850hPa temps of - 7 over much of Ireland and snow potential in the NE, E into early Sat morning. Some weather skirting by the SW also which could produce snow if it came inland but looks weak and may be kept offshore.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Quick look at ECM 06Z and showing increasingly cold into Fri, just goes up to later Fri, showing 850hPa temps of - 7 over much of Ireland and snow potential in the NE, E into early Sat morning. Some weather skirting by the SW also which could produce snow if it came inland but looks weak and may be kept offshore.

I'm not sure what to think of this week. The models are up in the air, the Met Office has me down for no higher than 4c, but others say 7c or even 8c tomorrow and thursday.

ECM 6Z showing sharp frosts away from the coasts Thurs and Fri night, freezing early evening Fri , temps staying v low on Fri.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

mod note

Off topic posts removed , although a funny enough exchange of views its not for the weather forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Anyway...

The snow here is lying readily down to 400 feet. The snow is falling down at a steady rate, maybe 2cm an hour, as my footprints were filled in, in the space of 20 minutes. Above 600 feet the snow is powdery, with frozen ground above 800 feet.

There is a lot of drifting with up to a foot in places (with the drifting).

Ik0U1wV.jpg
    jtDUc9f.jpg
    4V31gjN.jpg
    ClFFJhk.jpg
    RU4r4Kz.jpg
    wqq9XOh.jpg

Where??

Such a cold day, only 3c with a bitter draught. The snow does not appear to be melting. Possible top up tonight or tomorrow above 300 metres I think.

It is odd this as the air mass is not that cold, which is why I am wondering if there is a surface flow from GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Gonzo wrote: »
    Getting very fed up with this Atlantic muck at this stage. The past week is giving the wettest weeks we had during October and November 2019 a run for their money. The past 4 days have been particularly bad here in Meath. Side roads flooded again near Dunshaughlin and fields are waterlogged for several days now.
    It's the same in Kildare. Nothing but rain and dark grey cloud. Talk of snow and cold sunny snaps nearly always come to nothing or underdeliver. It's like waiting for the sun that never came last summer.

Last summer I wanted to strangle the people who said they had "a cracker of a day" in Donegal while the rest of the country was getting non-stop rain. Likewise I want to strangle the Donegal people posting pictures of snow while the rest of the country gets rain and grey skies regardless of forecast. It seems that Donegal has a different climate to the rest of Ireland. Sun in summer, snow in winter. They should start an "Alpine Donegal" thread to discuss their crackers of summer days and their snow and leave the rest of us to discuss the endless wet grey weather we get in the rest of Ireland.

If it wasn't for Covid-19 I'd go to the doctor for something to alleviate the SAD which has never hit me as hard. I'll try to ride it out because so many people are worse off than me with Covid and all it brings. Having said that, a day without rain with blue skies for an hour or so would make all the difference.

Yes, the weather here is more similar to somewhere like Ayrshire than the rest of island, aside from west-east frontal systems.

Even occasionally we can have large temp differences across Ulster. I have personally seen a 9c difference between here and Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Emme wrote: »
    It's the same in Kildare. Nothing but rain and dark grey cloud. Talk of snow and cold sunny snaps nearly always come to nothing or underdeliver. It's like waiting for the sun that never came last summer.

Last summer I wanted to strangle the people who said they had "a cracker of a day" in Donegal while the rest of the country was getting non-stop rain. Likewise I want to strangle the Donegal people posting pictures of snow while the rest of the country gets rain and grey skies regardless of forecast. It seems that Donegal has a different climate to the rest of Ireland. Sun in summer, snow in winter. They should start an "Alpine Donegal" thread to discuss their crackers of summer days and their snow and leave the rest of us to discuss the endless wet grey weather we get in the rest of Ireland.

If it wasn't for Covid-19 I'd go to the doctor for something to alleviate the SAD which has never hit me as hard. I'll try to ride it out because so many people are worse off than me with Covid and all it brings. Having said that, a day without rain with blue skies for an hour or so would make all the difference.

I think you are extremely wide of the mark with your assessment of Donegal's climate being desirable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Punxsutawney Phil predicts six more weeks of winter.

So there is Hope....

• Advertisement

mcburns07 wrote: »
    I think you are extremely wide of the mark with your assessment of Donegal's climate being desirable :pac:

Northern Ulster does often end up being north of the cold/mild divide in the winter months though.

Your comments would be true if you lived at 200/250 metres in Donegal yes, but often it’s quite marginal/wet snow at sea level.

Anyway, I hope you see some snow soon!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mod Note: Everyone has the right to keep their location private. It is part of GDPR. Any further off topic posts will be removed. Let's keep the discussion on the weather and not locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I can assure you we get our share of miserable greyness here as well!

In the winter months it's probably the best place to be for snow but it's still a rarity and we have plenty of wind and rain to go along with it. As for summer, I think we have probably the worst summer climate in the country with significantly more rain and cloud than the east coast and only a handful of days above 20C all year

There's a huge vitamin d issue in the county as well with the lack of sunshine

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vitamin-d-levels-in-donegal-far-worse-than-national-average-1.3985449

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I can assure you we get our share of miserable greyness here as well!

In the winter months it's probably the best place to be for snow but it's still a rarity and we have plenty of wind and rain to go along with it. As for summer, I think we have probably the worst summer climate in the country with significantly more rain and cloud than the east coast and only a handful of days above 20C all year

There's a huge vitamin d issue in the county as well with the lack of sunshine

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/vitamin-d-levels-in-donegal-far-worse-than-national-average-1.3985449

Behind a pay wall

Free link here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/health-news/lack-sunshine-blamed-donegal-vitamin-18931646.amp

"Dr Coyne said 87% of the first 10,000 samples tested at the Letterkenny lab had inadequate levels.

He said the results were so low that patients had to be retested to ensure there was not a miscalculation.

Another study carried out across Ireland reportedly stated just 12.5% of samples had insufficient vitamin D levels."

That's mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Are You Long mad Donegal having better weather than Kildare spent 2 weeks in Donegal early 2000,s in july i remember one day the sun came out for 15 minutes when we were on a beach near Dunfanaghy. I looked around me as people stared up in disbelief trying to get their Snorkellers, Dufflers and Parkas off in double quick time. The sun went in 15 mins later lovely spot but good weather nah

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain just more rain

Rain just more rain

There's been barely any letup since Friday afternoon. Garden, driveway and fields nearby waterlogged, side roads flooded. It's up there with the daily deluges during Autumn 2019. This is turning out to be a horrible winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes a very poor winter in terms of rainfall. It’s mad I was looking back at spring 2020, in the whole of March, April and May combined there was only 54mm of rain at Dublin airport. Quite extraordinary for a 3 month period. What I wouldn’t give for a repeat of that again this year after the winter that has been. On the one positive from the winter we have had about 4-5 days with snowfall lying on the ground with the recent snow from a week or two ago quite memorable (in our part of Dublin). For the most part it’s been wet though but much colder than the last 2 winters
    Gonzo wrote: »
    There's been barely any letup since Friday afternoon. Garden, driveway and fields nearby waterlogged, side roads flooded. It's up there with the daily deluges during Autumn 2019. This is turning out to be a horrible winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It's fairly grim alright at the minute.

Advertisement