Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Ford is a really odd sort of a player. I don't know what to make of him. One minute looks like a world beater. Next minute he just loses the head.

He's 15 years a pro i think and only third time reaching the finals. Thats a poor return. Not a question of ability i dont think, more lacks belief in himself. That's impression i get with him anyway. Good enough to have been a solid top 16 guy for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hendry’s tally of 775 career centuries in an era when there were only 6-7 tournaments a year is absolutely monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I'm not a big fan of the 100 centuries in a season stat these days. So many tpurnaments that a top player, with the modern perfect table and ball conditions, should be getting close to that anyway. At least Trump didn't jump around like Robbo did few years back which was a little cringy and over the top.

Thought Ford could have taken the pot on there instead of safety which was fraught with danger. Think thats it surely now anyway.

Hendry’s tally of 775 career centuries in an era when there were only 6-7 tournaments a year is absolutely monstrous.

And i would add tighter and slower tables too.

• Advertisement

I think Betty Ford would have as good a chance now of winning this.

Just as the pressure is off and Fordy probably feels it's over he comes up with a nice frame winning break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Hold on, 9-8.

Like earlier in the match, Ford playing his best snooker when the pressure is off. Being behind with nothing to lose might suit him.

Great opening red from the reigning champion. Wont' be giving the silverware up without a mmassive fight. Hold it together now and it's on to round two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Great red in the open from JT. deserved to win the frame

• Advertisement

Fair play to Ford as he contributed to a good match but a few of us on here felt it at the time that he blew it when he had a great chance to lead 6-2.

But it's great for the tournament to have the reigning champion progress because Judd is box office and puts bums on seats (at home on.our sofa's).

Overall a very enjoyable opening days snooker.

Potting some good ones in the finish there, so clean dont even touch the sides. Seems the trump pattern now, get the bad snooker out of the way R1 and then start going up through the gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Hendry has played more qualifying tournaments than Ronnie and has 1 century per 15.2 frames to Ronnie's 1 in 10.9. Judd is better still at 10.6

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

At least Trump didn't jump around like Robbo did few years back which was a little cringy and over the top.

When Neil did it, he was the first player in the history of the game to do it...quite a feat really, despite the increase in tournaments etc. Watching it at the time, there was a lot of talk about it, and undoubtedly as he got nearer to it, the pressure ramped up. Once done, I'd say it was the relief of just getting there, and he could kinda forget about it then. No such fanfare for Judd doing it, as it had already been done.
    zuutroy wrote: »
    Hendry has played more qualifying tournaments than Ronnie and has 1 century per 15.2 frames to Ronnie's 1 in 10.9. Judd is better still at 10.6

That's really the best way to measure it, given how many extra tournaments there are nowadays.

Actually Dave Hendon indirectly brushed on this last night after Trump got the century and correctly referenced the modern conditions. It was a lot more difficult to compile centuries when hendry started out than it is now. I often wonder what he'd be like if he had these tables to play on, the speed of the cloth and ping off the cushions. He wasnt blessed with huge cue power so i believe would have been of particular benefit to him.

Inviere wrote: »
    When Neil did it, he was the first player in the history of the game to do it...quite a feat really, despite the increase in tournaments etc. Watching it at the time, there was a lot of talk about it, and undoubtedly as he got nearer to it, the pressure ramped up. Once done, I'd say it was the relief of just getting there, and he could kinda forget about it then. No such fanfare for Judd doing it, as it had already been done.

That's really the best way to measure it, given how many extra tournaments there are nowadays.

I remember Robbo was actually playing Judd at the time and Judd thought the over the top celebrations were uncalled for and said as much at the time.

To be fair to him he was consistent when asked about getting 100 centuries in a season last night.' Nothing he ever aspired to as a snooker player' and he didn't make any deal of it. Nice to do it. No more. No less.

Same with Ronnie getting the 1,000th century last year. First player to ever do it. No wild celebrations or fist pumps.

Robbo celebrated like he just got a 147 which was a bit cringy.

Personally, even though they are more frequent, i'd rate one 147 higher than 100 centuries in a season and i agree with Judd that 100 centuries is not something to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

Personally, even though they are more frequent, i'd rate one 147 higher than 100 centuries in a season and i agree with Judd that 100 centuries is not something to celebrate.

I'd agree here, a 147 is a serious milestone. The 100 centuries in a season isn't something anyone would really aspire to achieve, & I doubt Neil ever did either...the celebration came from being the first to ever do it. Beyond that, it's a mere statistic herein.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mistermiyagi

Cracking win for Judd.
    Just like in the first round last year against Un Nooh, he got out of jail big time. Haunted to get through.
    Ideal start really, improving as the match went on. Minimum of best of 25 now, can't see Yan B or Slessor troubling him in round 2.
    Its a marathon not a sprint, best to save the best snooker for week 2. Robertson started off too well last year week 1, ran out of puff week 2.

Can't see anyone beating Trump now, the curse is cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Inviere wrote: »

I agree 100% don't know why they do not use centuries per frame in snooker. They use goals per game in soccer. But that does not take into account the opposition. Beauty about snooker is for a century it does not matter who the opponent is. A player is playing the table.

Edit: I tweeted BBC Eurosport about it and the top 100's makers on twitter to see what they say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Good start by Maflin. Type of guy who could get on a roll and just blitz some guy. Flaky as heck though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Grim to see no one there. Even 25 or 50 a side is enough for it to seem at least slightly normal.

Grim to see no one there. Even 25 or 50 a side is enough for it to seem at least slightly normal.

Yeah sport is not the same without any crowd even snooker! Amazing the difference it makes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

The sheriff of pottingham should be reinstated, considering there are no spectators in the crucible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

No, he shouldn't. If he had the courage of his convictions then he wouldn't have entered qualifying and denied a spot to a struggling pro.

A good point, but there were no spectators at the qualifiers, and shouldn't have been at the main event, its the same competition. Who do u like to win it out?

Credit to Carty here. Making a game of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Squeeky bum time for Bingham.
    He's wilting badly and Carty is getting back into it.
    Imagine the ohhhs and ahhhs from the crowd with Binghams missed green and the black that rolled out.
    Great drama.

Bingham finishing in style. Fergal will be happy enough looking on, tour card almost guaranteed now.

Anyone who did not see Carty Bingham I recommend watching it. Was great stuff.

Bingham finishing in style. Fergal will be happy enough looking on, tour card almost guaranteed now.

Oh jayus. I forgot about that and there I was shouting for Carty - shame on me! :o

• Advertisement

Oh jayus. I forgot about that and there I was shouting for Carty - shame on me! :o

I didnt wish him any ill at all, but he's had a great run, got his 2 year card so he'll be grand.

I'm even wondering whether he could knock Fergal off as he's already got his tour place guaranteed, but it does seem to be the case. Jamie Clarke could also pass Fergal but would need to reach last 8 to do it. Unlikely, you'd think.

Advertisement