Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 World Snooker Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Actually to clear up my confusion, i think Fergal was guaranteed his card anyway. Hard to see how he could be knocked off here and then not be in a position to attend q school which is ongoing at present.

https://wpbsa.com/wst-statement-tour-qualification-2020-21/

This paragraph in above press release is interesting:

"We can also confirm that any player who is able to retain their tour position through the one-year list and has qualified for the final stages of the World Championship, will earn their new card based upon their ranking position, not their Crucible qualification."

So in effect, Ashley Carty earned a 2 year card by qualifying for the crucible. But, if he'd won today and then subsequently qualified via the one-year rankings, he'd merely earn his card for next season. On balance, if i was Carty, I'd be happy enough with how things worked out. Same goes for Jamie Clarke. Winning is great but would you prefer the security of the 2 year card? I know i would anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Can't find any odds for a maximum in Paddys or Boyles. Used to be always a bet on that market.

You could open an a/c on the exchange and bet it there if you fancy taking not much over even money.

You could open an a/c on the exchange and bet it there if you fancy taking not much over even money.

I've never set up a betting account. Far too easy to bet and i'd be wary of abusing it. I guess i'm old school and like to head into a bookies, have a chat with some of the punters. Surprised their not offering it on their wwebsites though. I was hoping you would get 2/1 anyway seen as it hasn't been done at Sheffield in a long time but they dont give much away so probably a little over evens which is very poor odds.

• Advertisement

Statistically for 147s at the Crucible really you should be getting 4/1 or more.

There have been 10 maximums in 42 years. So 1/4. But none in 7 or 8 years.

Im thinking law of averages and the best playing conditions you can get with all the top players and long frame matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Can't find any odds for a maximum in Paddys or Boyles. Used to be always a bet on that market.

Bet365 have it at 6/4.

I'm sure if you went into a local shop they would quote you a price, probably the same 6/4.

It would be too short to tempt me personally.

I've never set up a betting account. Far too easy to bet and i'd be wary of abusing it. I guess i'm old school and like to head into a bookies, have a chat with some of the punters. Surprised their not offering it on their wwebsites though. I was hoping you would get 2/1 anyway seen as it hasn't been done at Sheffield in a long time but they dont give much away so probably a little over evens which is very poor odds.

Wise man. Its about 11/10 on the exchange site and thats usually a bigger price than the conventional odds compilers. I guess in the circumstances people think its more likely this year but it doesnt look any value to my inexpert eyes anyway.

I see a few people holding 20/1 dockets for a ton to be scored in every match. Thats more my kinda bet. Although i have done it a couple of times and one match always scuppers it and i remember getting much bigger odds than that.

Happy4all wrote: »
    Bet365 have it at 6/4.

I'm sure if you went into a local shop they would quote you a price, probably the same 6/4.

It would be too short to tempt me personally.

Yea it's too short be fair.

Wise man. Its about 11/10 on the exchange site and thats usually a bigger price than the conventional odds compilers. I guess in the circumstances people think its more likely this year but it doesnt look any value to my inexpert eyes anyway.

I see a few people holding 20/1 dockets for a ton to be scored in every match. Thats more my kinda bet. Although i have done it a couple of times and one match always scuppers it and i remember getting much bigger odds than that.

Yea that sounds a nice wager. Like the look of that. Will keep an eye out for it.

• Advertisement

Yea that sounds a nice wager. Like the look of that. Will keep an eye out for it.

Nice fun bet. Think it was 33/1 when i did it last year and fell 2 short. Just forgot about it this time, i think it might well cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Forgot Matthew Stevens made a Crucible semi final as recently as 2012. For a player who has competed at the business end at the Crucible so many times he has drifted in the 20s and 30s of rankings for a long while now. He musn't have barely picked up ranking points away from Sheffield. Unfulfilled potential for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

For anyone wondering who was on commentary this morning with Dennis Taylor, it was Dave Farrar, formerly of Eurosport football coverage back in the day. I thought I recognised his voice, though he is toning it down for the snooker. First non snooker player commenator since Clive Everton.

I see the BBC are moving the live evening coverage to BBC 4 from BBC 2. Means little nowadays I suppose with a session on red button all the time and online. Will probably boost BBC 4 viewing figures at a time when it needs it. Daytime sessions would remain BBC2 apart from Saturdays.

Yes no John Virgo on commentary this year. Think he is in Spain and keeping out of it.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    For anyone wondering who was on commentary this morning with Dennis Taylor, it was Dave Farrar, formerly of Eurosport football coverage back in the day. I thought I recognised his voice, though he is toning it down for the snooker. First non snooker player commenator since Clive Everton.

Must say never heard of the guy before. No harm to look outside the bubble every now and again i suppose. Though Clive was always a lifelong snooker man to be fair, journeyman pro, better at billiards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yes no John Virgo on commentary this year. Think he is in Spain and keeping out of it.

Don't worry Ken has all his phrases learned off 'there you see it' 'as he would like' 'does (insert full name of player)'.

Only one he does not use is 'wheres the cue ball going?' Too obvious!

But Ken studiously follows the Dennis Taylor / John Virgo patter otherwise.

Might break into the occasional 'in anyway' other than that - it is as if he feels he has to copy them. Maybe I am the only one who notices it but it annoys me. Use your own phrases and get your own style! :mad:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Another top duel on here. Ding could be in trouble. King wont give up.

Ding mixing the sublime with the ridiculous today. Nothing shocking about that, it's his career in microcosm pretty much. Dont know if he's winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ding mixing the sublime with the ridiculous today. Nothing shocking about that, it's his career in microcosm pretty much. Dont know if he's winning this.

Can't see it either would love to see him win it. Or failing that would like a new winner from the old guard McManus/Stevens that would be some story.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Can't see it either would love to see him win it. Or failing that would like a new winner from the old guard McManus/Stevens that would be some story.

Was actually talking about this match. Tournament another story entirely ;-)

Looking good for him now. Wonder is there one kick left in King yet?

Ding responding well. If he wins this match this tough game will stand to him. King has played very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

velo.2010 wrote: »

I was wondering who this intruder was on commentary.

Bad miss by King, match over.

Edit: 9-8.

Nice shot by Ding to open the pink. King playing a few tired looking shots but could go 8-9.

That last safety effort. Customary Ding head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Beeb really should have canned applause for shots like Ding's pot on the pink:P

Scrappy frame here. Ding in with good chance.

Beeb really should have canned applause for shots like Ding's pot on the pink:P

Good idea. I agree. The lads doing commentary know whena shot deaerves a clap. Give them the option to press a button.

• Advertisement

Would have taken on that blue. Looked straight enough cue ball beside object ball.

Advertisement