Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,078 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Scott Carson starts for Cory tonight, 10 years since his last FPL points. Has anyone gone longer than that?

Jeez poor Cory, he must be dying to earn some FPL points again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

How is everyone's overall score looking compared to previous years?
    I'll pass my best (2333 in 16/17 when I finished T10K) sometime tomorrow, and even if I scored no more points it would be my second highest total in 8 years playing.

So I've been thinking about it and guess it just been a unique season in that the high-scoring players were cheap - i.e, there was never a time when you had to make difficult choices between the most expensive players as so many of them failed (Auba, Sterling, KdB, Vardy, Werner, Mane, Kun). So Salah, Bruno and when available Kane were the only expensive players needed, and it was so easy to pick up good cheapies elsewhere.
    Arguably the only decision at times was which 7M midfielders to pick, money was almost never an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

At 122k at the moment, if I finished there it would be my 3rd best season.

Which is strange, because I had an appalling run between GW13-22 where I went from 225k to 918k. I had some dreadful, dreadful scores in that period and it was like I went the exact opposite way to where everyone else was scoring, slept on the double man city defense, ignored the Leeds assets, got rid of Soucek before he went on his run.....

I think I was lucky that it was a season where there were a lot of budget-friendly options because I destroyed the team value!

It was a challenging season with fixtures canceled last minute and rearranged with not a lot of notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

I'll pass my best (2333 in 16/17 when I finished T10K) sometime tomorrow, and even if I scored no more points it would be my second highest total in 8 years playing.

So I've been thinking about it and guess it just been a unique season in that the high-scoring players were cheap - i.e, there was never a time when you had to make difficult choices between the most expensive players as so many of them failed (Auba, Sterling, KdB, Vardy, Werner, Mane, Kun). So Salah, Bruno and when available Kane were the only expensive players needed, and it was so easy to pick up good cheapies elsewhere.
    Arguably the only decision at times was which 7M midfielders to pick, money was almost never an issue.

That's a very good point that I hadn't appreciated before. Since Christmas I've had a million or two in the bank the whole time. Most years I'd be scrimping to bring in a 3.9m 5th midfielder to allow some extra wriggle room somewhere else in the team, but not this year.

The overall points is also very high. Maybe the highest ever? Is there a way to measure that? In 2014/15 I was just inside the top 30k with 2138 points for instance. That mightn't get you in the top million this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Comparing overall points to previous seasons is pointless(pun intended!) in my opinion as it doesn't tell you anything.

In 2012/13 I had 2323 points and finished 578, the next year I had 2308 but finished 71000 and this year I would expect to have around that again (on 2202 at the moment) and am sitting at 330K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭macraignil

My score is looking good compared to the last two seasons. A good score in the last two weeks could leave me with the best overall score from the three seasons but the lowest overall rank from the three. It looks to be a high scoring season for a lot of teams but I made some poor selections and did not get in some very high scoring players at the right time and a few I did bring in that were doing well got injured soon after. Also was hit badly by some short notice game cancellations and players being rested or being dropped for other reasons. Particularly frustrating this season was second guessing a few transfers that would have really paid off and missing out on points that I could have got if I had just stuck with my original transfer plans. I think the bench is becoming more important in FPL when some low priced players are scoring very well and rotation in squads seems more common place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

AdpRo wrote: »
    Comparing overall points to previous seasons is pointless(pun intended!) in my opinion as it doesn't tell you anything.

In 2012/13 I had 2323 points and finished 578, the next year I had 2308 but finished 71000 and this year I would expect to have around that again (on 2202 at the moment) and am sitting at 330K.

Well, the point remains that if you finish 61 x 2 (not exactly an impossible task) you'll have got your highest ever points total with a relatively poor position.
    And as I said I suspect everyone will be getting their best ever points score this year.
    So I was looking for reasons for that - and the failures of the most expensive players was the most plausible I could come up. But open to other analysis.

Obviously Free Hit is more useful than AOA, and TC/BB are relatively new so would partly explain the upward trend compared to years ago. Maybe the average person was able to pay more attention because of lockdown, or people are just generally better at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Am 33 points away from my highest ever points total. Wont match my highest OR or even my second highest though. 95 points away from breaking 2500 points also

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭JPup

Well, the point remains that if you finish 61 x 2 (not exactly an impossible task) you'll have got your highest ever points total with a relatively poor position.
    And as I said I suspect everyone will be getting their best ever points score this year.
    So I was looking for reasons for that - and the failures of the most expensive players was the most plausible I could come up. But open to other analysis.

Obviously Free Hit is more useful than AOA, and TC/BB are relatively new so would partly explain the upward trend compared to years ago. Maybe the average person was able to pay more attention because of lockdown, or people are just generally better at it?

The chips are part of the story alight, but only a small part I'd say.

There are a lot more resources (such as this forum!) out there now that make it much easier to be well informed than before. But I suspect the main reason is that is was a bit of a fluke year with lower cost players outperforming as you pointed out earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I think the sheer number of people playing the game now is probably the biggest reason. I would love to know what the winning points total was for every year, I would expect it may not vary as much as our scores do. My highest points total in 13 years playing is 2448 2 years ago which was good enough for a top 2K finish that year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,434 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 21,078 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Could be a complete spoof but apparently, the United team is as follows. No Greenwood.

Again, I've no idea how credible it is

https://twitter.com/silvscic/status/1394666873791422465?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Rockstar just tweeted that 'he thinks Rashford needs a rest'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭patmac

Nuno’s last game for Wolves this week as well, more likely to produce a bounce than Roy leaving Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,598 ✭✭✭✭CSF

patmac wrote: »
    Nuno’s last game for Wolves this week as well, more likely to produce a bounce than Roy leaving Palace.

Roy is leaving to retire. Nuno is leaving to get a better job by the sounds of it. You may end up seeing the opposite of a bounce on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

He's supposed to be off to Spurs, Doherty will be an option again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭sheroman01

2 Irish lads in the Top 10 OR. That’s unreal. One is only 9pts off top place too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭onrail

Anyone else think the overall prize is stingy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭macraignil

onrail wrote: »

Just a bit underwhelming except for the "- FPL goody bag consisting of a rucksack, t-shirt, mug, water bottle, stress ball, pen, pad and key ring" which obviously would be everybody's dream prize for an almost year long competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭onrail

macraignil wrote: »
    Just a bit underwhelming except for the "- FPL goody bag consisting of a rucksack, t-shirt, mug, water bottle, stress ball, pen, pad and key ring" which obviously would be everybody's dream prize for an almost year long competition.

Yeah like I know it's a free competition, but it must generate a fair bit of interest and revenue given the numbers involved.

What are the chances that anyone is going to take interest in a Sheffield United Vs Crystal Palace dead rubber unless they have big Tekkers up front as a differential?

Could be way off here, but it should be worth something like 20k cash for the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah its really tight especially given the wealth that is in the EPL. It should be at least £50k prize money, its not like they cant afford it.

Or even take a euro per entrant with the FPL taking 20% of the pot for running the game and then distribute the remainder of the 6.5 million odd on a sliding scale from 1st down to 100th. That would make it very interesting for lots of people if there were Lotto levels of prize money at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It is but I suppose it’s a free game to play

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wonder will we see much players positions re-aligned for next season?

Dallas is probably the standout candidate to move to MID, although with Bielsa, anything is possible.

Fabinho should be re-aligned as a DEF going by their criteria of playing more games in that position. This has potential to be a big difference maker. CS potential and bps too. Would be lower than VVD/TAA/Robbo etc for Liverpool DEF

Rashford / Greenwood possibly one moving to a FWD although I think both should remain as MIDs

PEA could revert back to FWD again, and similarly with Fernandinho as a MID but he will be very low down the ownership scale.

It will be interesting to see which Man City players get selected as FWDs if they don't sign a striker. KDB & Foden will probably remain as MIDs but could be great OOP potential. Torres possibly.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I wonder will we see much players positions re-aligned for next season?

Dallas is probably the standout candidate to move to MID, although with Bielsa, anything is possible.

Fabinho should be re-aligned as a DEF going by their criteria of playing more games in that position. This has potential to be a big difference maker. CS potential and bps too. Would be lower than VVD/TAA/Robbo etc for Liverpool DEF

Rashford / Greenwood possibly one moving to a FWD although I think both should remain as MIDs

PEA could revert back to FWD again, and similarly with Fernandinho as a MID but he will be very low down the ownership scale.

It will be interesting to see which Man City players get selected as FWDs if they don't sign a striker. KDB & Foden will probably remain as MIDs but could be great OOP potential. Torres possibly.

Fabinho is unlikely to be. Think he only went there as backup for injuries. Jesus will be the only first team City striker in the game imo unless they sign someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

CSF wrote: »
    Fabinho is unlikely to be. Think he only went there as backup for injuries. Jesus will be the only first team City striker in the game imo unless they sign someone.

Are the positions not assigned based on where you played the majority of games the season previously? (Or never in the case of Lundstram!)

Fitz* wrote: »
    Are the positions not assigned based on where you played the majority of games the season previously? (Or never in the case of Lundstram!)

I think that would be the case if it’s considered repeatable. Whereas they’ll know if Van Dijk and Gomez are fit and Konate signs that Fabinho will be playing DM. Imagine common sense would prevail there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

CSF wrote: »
    Imagine common sense would prevail there.

Are we talking about the same FF?

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any leagues with decent prizes? Brother won two holidays in the past with a free to enter pub fantasy football league but they stopped running it.

Advertisement