Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

PARlance wrote: »
    Bit rich calling someone out as a drama queen in one post and then getting all drama queen in the next post.

Ha.

Is that what you think yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

It may well be there this Season and I can't see it?..... but in other years you had a thread regarding players who might be going along under the radar eg assisting the assister but getting into great positions very often in the box....or making lots of clearances as a defender and people mentioned them on this 'ones to watch' thread for players that might be useful to sign,especially if their team had a good run of fixtures upcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

It may well be there this Season and I can't see it?..... but in other years you had a thread regarding players who might be going along under the radar eg assisting the assister but getting into great positions very often in the box....or making lots of clearances as a defender and people mentioned them on this 'ones to watch' thread for players that might be useful to sign,especially if their team had a good run of fixtures upcoming.

Don't think there was one this season
    (Maybe because not much of a preseason to evaluate them)

This was last years and it was definitely a good one to keep an eye on:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110635330

• Registered Users Posts: 22,442 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I know people say "nobody cares about your team" but I like to know who regular posters have in their team because I respect them as experienced and knowledgeable players and am interested to know what players they have and why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭claw

I know people say "nobody cares about your team" but I like to know who regular posters have in their team because I respect them as experienced and knowledgeable players and am interested to know what players they have and why.

I like when posters post their teams at the start of a matchday thread, I don't see the harm. Sometimes it can be useful before a deadline if you can see what other posters you respect are doing, especially if undecided between a choice of captain or players who you are deliberating on leaving on your bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I won't say I take pleasure from reading about other people's spectacular fcuk ups but it does help put your own fcuk ups in perspective.

Fwiw, I think the match day threads (and the forum as a whole) are a refreshing change from the other toxic corners of the social media world.

Some of the "what if's" can get a bit repetitive/tedious the odd time but easy to scroll past

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

COH wrote: »
    So no discussing your fantasy football team in a fantasy football forum with regards the live games.
    What’s the point of a fantasy sports forum if you are not allowed to discuss everything that goes along with fantasy sports in a general discussion thread?

Surely people can just scroll past the posts they don’t care for.

I’m not sure I want this forum to go down the road of being over-sanitised and over-modded.
    Totally missing the point lads.

Matchday Thread is free to do whatever it wants, this is a separate thread being proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Will finish this week around 60 points behind the leader in my main money league. If I've to have any chance I'm going to have to hit differential captains which has gotten off to a decent if unspectacular start with Havertz this weekend.

He's the triple captain left and will almost certainly use it on Kane this weekend, very tempted to just hide behind the couch when Spurs play and captain someone else in the hope Kane blanks, will obviously kill the slim chance of a comeback if Kane returns though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I like to see how everyone is doing and how their teams are shaping up.

There is a player watch thread. I remember bigging up Pascal Struijk in it when he was hooked at half time the next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

How about people just type about relevant stuff in the matchday thread and not about all the things they nearly did that nobody really cares about.

Ah, you nearly bought Iheanacho this week did you ? Insightful stuff alright. Reckon you are the only one to get a call wrong this week. Riveting stuff.

Is that not what you want in a new thread though? "I almost bought him, but I didn't." Why can't you just read it in the match day thread?

I am of the opinion that any idea is worth thinking about, but I don't actually think there's a big enough volume of posts there to even warrant this. I think the way it is is fine.

As an aside, I am a newcomer to this part of the forum this year and it is a fantastic spot by the way. I think in the 8/9 months so far ive seen a mod get involved once. It's refreshing.

• Advertisement

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Is that not what you want in a new thread though? "I almost bought him, but I didn't." Why can't you just read it in the match day thread?

I am of the opinion that any idea is worth thinking about, but I don't actually think there's a big enough volume of posts there to even warrant this. I think the way it is is fine.

As an aside, I am a newcomer to this part of the forum this year and it is a fantastic spot by the way. I think in the 8/9 months so far ive seen a mod get involved once. It's refreshing.
    The matchday thread is currently sitting at 38 pages, that's too much to catch up on. I agree with kloperamma, there can be points that warrants bigger discussion or reflection that get lost in that. In the past when there was a big slate at 3pm it was enjoyable to follow, but nobody can be following for an entire weekend, and it's too big a thread to catch up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

Is this the best week to use the TC on Kane or have they got any other DGW's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

markc91 wrote: »

I second that query... It almost seems too easy of a decision to TC Kane this GW!?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I take a bit of comfort in knowing that other members have captained/started/benched the same players as me

Plus it gives you a few ideas for differentials as not everyone will say what transfer they made

• Registered Users Posts: 19,665 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

How about people just type about relevant stuff in the matchday thread and not about all the things they nearly did that nobody really cares about.

Ah, you nearly bought Iheanacho this week did you ? Insightful stuff alright. Reckon you are the only one to get a call wrong this week. Riveting stuff.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Totally missing the point lads.

Matchday Thread is free to do whatever it wants, this is a separate thread being proposed

Little lost as to what you guys want, on one hand you say, the matchday thread is free to whatever is wants, but on the other than yous are saying that matchday thread should be relevant and not what you did/did not do?

If you set up new thread, is that for me to say I sold Pereira two weeks ago and he's gone and got 31 points since then or that i sold Dallas and he got 17 points? I don't see how that provides an opportunity to discuss anything?

We have the Transfer Thread to discuss why we transfer someone in or not - would discussion not happen there?

markc91 wrote: »

Looks like the last half decent BGW option for a TC alright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

The matchday thread is currently sitting at 38 pages, that's too much to catch up on. I agree with kloperamma, there can be points that warrants bigger discussion or reflection that get lost in that. In the past when there was a big slate at 3pm it was enjoyable to follow, but nobody can be following for an entire weekend, and it's too big a thread to catch up later.

There'll be more time spent sifting through what's supposed to be in what thread than discussing anything. Each to their own but I'm fine with the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

If you went 40 posts per page it would be a lot easier to navigate.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Little lost as to what you guys want, on one hand you say, the matchday thread is free to whatever is wants, but on the other than yous are saying that matchday thread should be relevant and not what you did/did not do?

If you set up new thread, is that for me to say I sold Pereira two weeks ago and he's gone and got 31 points since then or that i sold Dallas and he got 17 points? I don't see how that provides an opportunity to discuss anything?

We have the Transfer Thread to discuss why we transfer someone in or not - would discussion not happen there?

I think there should be a thread for the mistakes or good calls you made. You can discuss away with others. I don’t see those decisions relevant to matchdays threads. We all make good and bad calls and I think there should be a thread to allow posters that want to discuss them.

Does it really matter, in the match day thread, if I sold a player last week or GW 1 and he goes on to haul after I’ve sold him ?

I thought I was pretty clear -

I think there should be a thread if you want to discuss the good/bad luck you’ve had with the decisions you’ve made. Same if you want to discuss the possibility of getting players off your bench or if you want to bemoan your team selection and the points you’ve left on your bench.

Those posts have no business in the matchday imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I think there should be a thread for the mistakes or good calls you made. You can discuss away with others. I don’t see those decisions relevant to matchdays threads. We all make good and bad calls and I think there should be a thread to allow posters that want to discuss them.

Does it really matter, in the match day thread, if I sold a player last week or GW 1 and he goes on to haul after I’ve sold him ?

I thought I was pretty clear -

I think there should be a thread if you want to discuss the good/bad luck you’ve had with the decisions you’ve made. Same if you want to discuss the possibility of getting players off your bench or if you want to bemoan your team selection and the points you’ve left on your bench.

Those posts have no business in the matchday imo.

Not having a dig but feels like you're trying to come up for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Moving all that onto a separate thread would just make the matchday thread very sterile

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    Not having a dig but feels like you're trying to come up for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Moving all that onto a separate thread would just make the matchday thread very sterile

Wouldn’t take it as a dig.

It’s just a suggestion.

I feel like I read a lot of irrelevant posts about individual managers discussing points they missed out on, once the GW has kicked off, rather than incidents from the matches in the matchday thread and just thought I’d suggest a new destination for those posts.

I’ve no problem with a ‘sterile’ matchday thread. I don’t think it would be. Maybe we would have more posts about the actual games.

Edit - maybe you’re right siblers re ‘you're trying to come up for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.’ Maybe I’m the only one that has a problem with it. I was posting to see if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Totally forgot their was games last night(Off work for a week so don't what i have :D)

Saw on BBC Sport the results, and was like, DCL obviously didn't...oh he didn't start...or come on...My first sub is Dallas with 17pts :cool:

Instead of losing ground on ML leader, I made up 15 points...Meanwhile in my other ML, the leader is miles ahead, and in the Top 5 of a central European Countries leader board

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Would you start Dias or Jota this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,831 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would you start Dias or Jota this week?

Jota

• Registered Users Posts: 22,442 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Norwich promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 2 moconnor10

Hey there everyone anyone have a link / thread to paid fantasy football league codes - think they were discussed here i need to check whether i entered one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,831 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can see myself doing the Norwegian one this year and experimenting with the idea of trying to play the game at a high level without watching a live game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Norwich promoted

Was just looking at some of their recent results to see their line ups and they beat Huddersfield 7-0 a couple of weeks ago. The scoresheet looked like this

Goals- Pukki (8'minutes, 20'minutes, 61'minutes pen), Buendía (24'minutes), Cantwell (29'minutes), Dowell (42'minutes), Hugill (78'minutes)

Assists- Cantwell (8'minutes), Buendía (20'minutes, 29'minutes, 42'minutes), Pukki (24'minutes), Aarons (78'minutes)

Its already looking like a Pukki, Buendia and Cantwell triple up for next season :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,233 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Anyone for European Super League Fantasy Football next season :pac:

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Can see myself doing the Norwegian one this year and experimenting with the idea of trying to play the game at a high level without watching a live game.

I did that last year (season is March-Oct). They seemed to have far more double and blank gameweeks so it was tough to keep track on that. Doing it without watching a game was different alright. Watched the Molde V Dundalk game last year and recognsed a few names.

Advertisement