Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I did that last year (season is March-Oct). They seemed to have far more double and blank gameweeks so it was tough to keep track on that. Doing it without watching a game was different alright. Watched the Molde V Dundalk game last year and recognsed a few names.

Did you do well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So I take it it's all hyperbole, talk of massive point deductions from this Super League thing. Would be an apt end to to this season for sure the way it has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CSF wrote: »
    Did you do well?

Nah, not really, lost interest as it went on. Playing FF during the summer I kept missing deadlines. There's definitely something in relying totally on stats, but there's a few times I'd be attracted to a mid scoring a few goals, but it was hard to tell if he was the next Jorginho or the next Lingard without googling.

The deadlines and the BGW's were tough to manage.

Also, there was no FDR so tough to monitor who had a good run of fixtures. the 3 letter acroynyms were tough to reconcile back to crests on the transfer page

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

dsmythy wrote: »
    So I take it it's all hyperbole, talk of massive point deductions from this Super League thing. Would be an apt end to to this season for sure the way it has been.

Can't see how they would be able to all that would lead to would be everyone having to fork out and fortune on lawyers and given how deep the pockets are of the sides involved cannot see anyone wanting that. Gary Neville seems to be the most high profile to really mention it nothing more to it than that. For now it's probably really just a negotiation tool to use with UEFA. I wouldn't be surprised if the 12 look for wildcards CL spots or something like that so there's a good chance they are all in every season. More games and a safety net for them and I would think this goes away especially after how quick this backlash has been I can't think they were expecting it to be quite this bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

jimmii wrote: »
    Can't see how they would be able to all that would lead to would be everyone having to fork out and fortune on lawyers and given how deep the pockets are of the sides involved cannot see anyone wanting that. Gary Neville seems to be the most high profile to really mention it nothing more to it than that. For now it's probably really just a negotiation tool to use with UEFA. I wouldn't be surprised if the 12 look for wildcards CL spots or something like that so there's a good chance they are all in every season. More games and a safety net for them and I would think this goes away especially after how quick this backlash has been I can't think they were expecting it to be quite this bad.

I think this is a lot closer to going ahead than people think , Woodward for example has left the ECA & the Juventus Chairman has also left and he has been the ECA president for the last decade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Nah, not really, lost interest as it went on. Playing FF during the summer I kept missing deadlines. There's definitely something in relying totally on stats, but there's a few times I'd be attracted to a mid scoring a few goals, but it was hard to tell if he was the next Jorginho or the next Lingard without googling.

The deadlines and the BGW's were tough to manage.

Also, there was no FDR so tough to monitor who had a good run of fixtures. the 3 letter acroynyms were tough to reconcile back to crests on the transfer page

They do stats on FF Scout I think

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think this is a lot closer to going ahead than people think , Woodward for example has left the ECA & the Juventus Chairman has also left and he has been the ECA president for the last decade

If they English FA and other countries adopted a similar rule that the IRFU have, i.e. you have to play in the domestic league of the country you are in, or else you can't play for the national team, the likes of Kane, Sterling, Rashford and co, would either be putting a lot of pressure on their clubs to quit the Europe league, or they could potentially leave them.

I'm sure that England for instance could put together a solid team that's made up of non top 6 team players. However could the likes of Spain do similar?

Jose sacked!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Would be interesting if they installed Kane as player manager for the craic

Cartman78 wrote: »

Will be interesting to see if Bale gets more game time now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

So who's taking Jose's job.....
    Lampard?

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

gammygils wrote: »
    So who's taking Jose's job.....
    Lampard?

Give it Giggsy till end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

All this Super League talk, could teams be expelled, or have a points deduction? I have just started my Wildcard and made two changes. Might hold it now and wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Cartman78 wrote: »

He'll probably decide if he plays Wednesday night now... Ryan Mason taking over for now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

He'll probably decide if he plays Wednesday night now... Ryan Mason taking over for now apparently.

Harry is fond of the Golden Boot . . . . us TCers live in hope!

Whatever about the in's/out's of this new league, to say it's all about money is a bit rich, given the Championship league - is not "what it says on the tin" - it's not just the champions, you have 4th place teams of a domestic league playing in it, and no one really has any problems with that.

Football and money go hand in hand, young lads signing 20k a week deals when hardly in the first team squad - Neville and co don't seem to have much problem with this - I would say Salford city for example have paid more on wages over the last 5 years than any other comparable club - again nothing really said about it.

The only thing that's bizzare about the whole thing is that Arsenal are considered a top 6 club :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Whatever about the in's/out's of this new league, to say it's all about money is a bit rich, given the Championship league - is not "what it says on the tin" - it's not just the champions, you have 4th place teams of a domestic league playing in it, and no one really has any problems with that.

Football and money go hand in hand, young lads signing 20k a week deals when hardly in the first team squad - Neville and co don't seem to have much problem with this - I would say Salford city for example have paid more on wages over the last 5 years than any other comparable club - again nothing really said about it.

The only thing that's bizzare about the whole thing is that Arsenal are considered a top 6 club :P

You have answered your own question there! It has nothing to do with football it is about money and market appeal - Arsenal and Spurs have been in the Top 10 Richest football clubs in Europe since forever - what either have or have failed to achieve on the field is a complete irrelevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

What makes this ESL absolutely deplorable is the pure elitism of it all and the lack of equality. You mention the top 4 getting into the CL - the point is that all 20 teams in the league have an equal right to qualify for that top 4 place. It's not just "given" to the top 4 elite teams. With the mentality of this ESL, Leicester would never have been given a chance to win the PL. The ESL also means money is not being fairly spread across to any other club in Europe or their respective leagues - only the rich get richer. The core fundamentals of football are lost - only the elite teams are allowed join and no relegation or promotion. I don't see how anyone can defend or be excited about it.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    What makes this ESL absolutely deplorable is the pure elitism of it all and the lack of equality. You mention the top 4 getting into the CL - the point is that all 20 teams in the league have an equal right to qualify for that top 4 place. It's not just "given" to the top 4 elite teams. With the mentality of this ESL, Leicester would never have been given a chance to win the PL. The ESL also means money is not being fairly spread across to any other club in Europe or their respective leagues - only the rich get richer. The core fundamentals of football are lost - only the elite teams are allowed join and no relegation or promotion. I don't see how anyone can defend or be excited about it.

I know what your saying about equal chance for any team to get top 4, but that's not what champions league was supposed to be when it was originally set up.

Why would it affect Leicester or any other team winning the PL?

The core fundamentals of football have been lost a long time ago - It's big business - PL signing multi billion pound deals with Sky/BT, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube all these looking for pieces of the pie. Big clubs want to protect their interests etc.

If the FA want to stop this - simply introduce a rule that any player who plays for a team in this new ESL formation will not be picked by the national side. Without the players, the ESL will be nothing. Would Kane, Sterling, Rashford etc all give up the chance of winning something with England for more money?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

If they English FA and other countries adopted a similar rule that the IRFU have, i.e. you have to play in the domestic league of the country you are in, or else you can't play for the national team, the likes of Kane, Sterling, Rashford and co, would either be putting a lot of pressure on their clubs to quit the Europe league, or they could potentially leave them.

I'm sure that England for instance could put together a solid team that's made up of non top 6 team players. However could the likes of Spain do similar?

These players/clubs will be playing in the PL every weekend.
    Playing ESL games midweek.

So all these players will still be available for internationals.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    These players/clubs will be playing in the PL every weekend.
    Playing ESL games midweek.

So all these players will still be available for internationals.

I know they will be available, but if the FA want to shut down the ESL for instance, a self imposed ban on players who play in it, would have a greater impact than anything else really. Any player who plays in the ESL will not be eligible for selection for European/World cup games.

No player has a right to play for national team, so should be easy to implement - just need the FA to be strong. That's the type of punishment that clubs can't buy their way out of and would hurt the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If the FA want to stop this - simply introduce a rule that any player who plays for a team in this new ESL formation will not be picked by the national side. Without the players, the ESL will be nothing. Would Kane, Sterling, Rashford etc all give up the chance of winning something with England for more money?

What about a player that is already contracted to a team that has now decided to partake, that would be grossly unfair to exclude a player from International football because of the actions of his employer and something totally out of his control.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    What about a player that is already contracted to a team that has now decided to partake, that would be grossly unfair to exclude a player from International football because of the actions of his employer and something totally out of his control.

I'm sure players contracts are a bit more detail than "yes i agree to play football for Chelsea". Just take for example - their bonus for playing or winning the ESL, the appearance money - do you think that a players gets the same appearance for a league cup games against Barnet as they would for a CL game? So that would need to be negotiated. Likewise insurance, players image rights, media duties etc.

How many players are playing at clubs against their will - if a player wants out they usually get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Anyone elses first thought on the Super League how it could affect FPL for the worse?

It'd have a serious knock on effect and not for the good I don't think.

Anyone elses first thought on the Super League how it could affect FPL for the worse?

There would be no real prize for the winners, or top 4 if you have 6 teams already off playing in another competition. Would the CL/Europa league still exist - and how would teams qualify for it?.

Would the Super league have to get FIFA's approval and is that likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I know what your saying about equal chance for any team to get top 4, but that's not what champions league was supposed to be when it was originally set up.

As it stands now, all 20 teams have the right to get into the top 4. That equal chance still exists, so in to my eyes that's not the worst or immroal system out there. If whatever it was "supposed to be" was something more sinister, then isn't it great that it isn't here today.
    Why would it affect Leicester or any other team winning the PL?

Worded that wrong perhaps - it's the mentality of the ESL. With no promotion/relegation, Leicester wouldn't be in the PL. They wouldn't even havea chance of winning the PL. That's what I mean. The ESL only want their idea of elite teams in their own leagues. Leicester don't fit into their leagues.
    The core fundamentals of football have been lost a long time ago - It's big business - PL signing multi billion pound deals with Sky/BT, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube all these looking for pieces of the pie. Big clubs want to protect their interests etc.

I agree. Money, greed and capitalism is ruining the game. But just because things are bad now, do we continue letting things get worse and worse? Should we not at least try to stop any more greed from rotting into the game?

sheroman01 wrote: »
    As it stands now, all 20 teams have the right to get into the top 4. That equal chance still exists, so in to my eyes that's not the worst or immroal system out there. If whatever it was "supposed to be" was something more sinister, then isn't it great that it isn't here today.

Worded that wrong perhaps - it's the mentality of the ESL. With no promotion/relegation, Leicester wouldn't be in the PL. They wouldn't even havea chance of winning the PL. That's what I mean. The ESL only want their idea of elite teams in their own leagues. Leicester don't fit into their leagues.

I agree. Money, greed and capitalism is ruining the game. But just because things are bad now, do we continue letting things get worse and worse? Should we not at least try to stop any more greed from rotting into the game?

The CL was initially a straight knockout tournament open only to the champions of Europe's domestic leagues. Now someone who is 20 points behind the champions can get the CL. This is purely for money - there is more money in CL then Europa league and more prestige. I understand the new ESL would be a closed league so to speak, but i'm sure if some billionaire bought Leeds, that he could buy his way into the ESL. Again not saying that is right, but merely pointing out that huge sums of money are going round in football and very little is said as everyone is getting a piece of the pie currently.

I don't know if your confusing yourself but Leicester would still be in the PL, and could still win the PL. They might even qualify for some sort of European competition as well, just not the ESL.

I'm all for stopping the ESL, and imo the best way is for the likes of the FA to introduce a rule stating players who play in the ESL are not eligible to play for the national team.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Not sure stopping players from representing their country is quite the deterrent that it would’ve been 30 years ago. Quite a few people have said that they could do without the added pressure for little reward and added media scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

patmac wrote: »
    All this Super League talk, could teams be expelled, or have a points deduction? I have just started my Wildcard and made two changes. Might hold it now and wait and see.

I wouldnt see any explusions or points deductions, these 6 clubs are the EPL cash cow so the EPL are not going to cut their nose off to spite their face despite the sabre rattling that is going on right now. Would say you will be fine using your wildcard this week.

That Jose news is bizarre happening just six days before the EFL final, surely Levy should have left him in situ for that before sacking him with a game or two to go. Why would a chairman cause chaos in the squad on the week they are preparing for a cup final, its brain dead stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

No more Pep roulette is the main upside I can see :-)

Advertisement