Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2020/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

For those that forgot like I did

''The Premier League have said the fixtures for the new season will be confirmed between Wednesday, August 19 and Friday, August 21.''

Not sure if a set date was confirmed since but August 21st is sticking out.
    There's a few people tweeting that the fixtures are to be announced at 9am tomorrow

https://twitter.com/DaleJohnsonESPN/status/1296049258873982976?s=20
    (He's an editor at ESPN, couldn't see anyone else reputable)

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1296091516323143681?s=20

Confirmed anyway.

Will make the next coupld weeks interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

CSF wrote: »
    Seeing a lot of conversation online about 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 being the way to go this year.

Am I the only one who thinks that 3 strikers is all the more viable with so many pricey midfield options this year?

My current draft is a 4-3-3

I’m thinking 4-5-1 if united buy someone to replace Greenwood in the Starting 11

I think Soucek will be in everyone’s team in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Markx

Seeing a lot of conversation online about 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 being the way to go this year.

Am I the only one who thinks that 3 strikers is all the more viable with so many pricey midfield options this year?

My current draft is a 4-3-3

The thing that sticks out to me is setting up with the option to switch between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 on a week-to-week basis. That could be down to being pathologically unable to sustain playing with anything other than three strikers. Tried Kamara from the start 2 seasons ago and Greenwood last and it just doesn't go well in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,084 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Markx wrote: »
    The thing that sticks out to me is setting up with the option to switch between 4-3-3 and 3-4-3 on a week-to-week basis. That could be down to being pathologically unable to sustain playing with anything other than three strikers. Tried Kamara from the start 2 seasons ago and Greenwood last and it just doesn't go well in my head.

Last season was great for less strikers with all those under priced midfielders. But now they’ve all been priced accordingly and I haven’t yet identified the best midfield value, so I’m considering 3 premium midfielders and either 2 6.0/6.5 strikers plus Werner or 3 of the cheaper strikers.

Last season was great for less strikers with all those under priced midfielders. But now they’ve all been priced accordingly and I haven’t yet identified the best midfield value, so I’m considering 3 premium midfielders and either 2 6.0/6.5 strikers plus Werner or 3 of the cheaper strikers.

Think at least one 9+ forward is always required for balance. Last season I started with Firmino and one reason was to have that balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah on 3-4-3 at the moment. The problem with not having 3 strikers is that you have to go with a 4.5 or 5.0 striker in your squad, which is likely a player who won't play. Or else a 5.5 Bamford perhaps who you leave on the bench or rotate in. Not sure if I'm comfortable with that right now.

With midfield you have a great option of Soucek at 5.0 who has genuine threat and is cheap enough to leave on the bench, or at least a few solid "two-point-Toms" like Romeu.

Hopefully there's a viable cheap 3rd striker that comes through and perhaps enables a 3-5-2. Brewster on loan could well be one.

Basically the cheap striker options are non-existant so makes sense to go with 2 or 3 of Wood, Antonio, MItrovic type players, and maybe one highish in the Martial/Werner bracket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

Not totally understanding the high level of chat about Foden. Yes he's cheap for a City player. Yes he's likely to feature alot more than previous seasons. But he is still a high risk of rotation and is likely to highly frustrate IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I really hope that Ramsdale is 4.5 and not 5.0 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭COH

Fitz* wrote: »
    I really hope that Ramsdale is 4.5 and not 5.0 or higher.

Not a hope he'll be less than 5.0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

COH wrote: »
    Not a hope he'll be less than 5.0

Yeah, 5m best hope. They could even go 5.5m

• Advertisement

Markx wrote: »
    Think at least one 9+ forward is always required for balance. Last season I started with Firmino and one reason was to have that balance.
    No prizes for guessing who you will be starting on this season then, I reckon. I'm heavily considering the same.

Degag wrote: »
    Not totally understanding the high level of chat about Foden. Yes he's cheap for a City player. Yes he's likely to feature alot more than previous seasons. But he is still a high risk of rotation and is likely to highly frustrate IMO.
    Yeah, I don't understand either. He surely isn't in the first choice 11 of that team. People salivating about what he did in the minutes he did play last year, but even in such a small sample size he had lower minutes per return than Aguero, KDB, Jesus and Mahrez, all of whom had to perform that more consistently over a larger sample size.

Yes at 6.5 he is quite cheaper than all of them, but that doesn't count for anything if he isn't playing consistently, if he isn't doing crazy stats in the minutes he does play.

xG per 90 of 0.36 and xA per 90 of 0.16. I think people need to dry themselves off on this one personally. And yet I will be in on this bandwagon if he finds a starting spot in that team. 6.5 for an attacking midfielder in that City team would be gold if a starter.

City sub attacking players have always looked good in points per minutes ratio

Iheancho, back in the day, jesus when cover for aguero, Marhez this season and Foden, these guys score well per minute after teams especially weaker teams have been ground down.

But they are still priced up as sub players for the best high output attacking team and if you buy them yiu have no guarantee of. Minutes from week to week.

City will always be a minefield once pep is manager but there is little point bringing in cheaper playera from the squad hoping the get ahead of the curve.

Even if you are some how right that they'd start every week (they won't) you'd only get 2 or 3 weeks out of it

No prizes for guessing who you will be starting on this season then, I reckon. I'm heavily considering the same.

Yeah it's all on fixtures and pre-season really. Haven't picked a team yet as I don't see the point til 9am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

West Ham play Newcastle on first day according to ex West Ham employee on twitter who is normally reliable.

Then Arsenal (a), Wolves (h), Leicester (a), Spurs (a) - tough enough start for Antonio and the boys.

I’d agree, if anything Dilva gone means more time for mahrez and hacksaw Jim

The league was done when Foden got most of his game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'd have thought this will be Fodens breakout season, Silva gone, Bilva out of favour means there's minutes up for grabs.

Mahrez is the best value but I'd be concerned or Ferran Torres taking minutes there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,236 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

GW1

Postponed
    Burnley v Man Utd
    Man City v Aston Villa

Saturday 12 September
    Crystal Palace v Southampton
    Fulham v Arsenal
    Liverpool v Leeds United
    Spurs v Everton
    West Brom v Leicester City
    West Ham v Newcastle United

Monday 14 September
    20:00 Brighton v Chelsea
    20:00 Sheffield United v Wolves

Full list here: https://preml.ge/fixtures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Was hoping for my Cith assets to start with a bang, rather than a blank!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Greenwood could be great value depending on if they sign Sancho or someone like Brooks to rotate

He is the best finisher at the club and Martial has a habit of picking up injuries so he could get a run up front

• Advertisement

GW1

Postponed
    Burnley v Man Utd
    Man City v Aston Villa

Saturday 12 September
    Crystal Palace v Southampton
    Fulham v Arsenal
    Liverpool v Leeds United
    Spurs v Everton
    West Brom v Leicester City
    West Ham v Newcastle United

Monday 14 September
    20:00 Brighton v Chelsea
    20:00 Sheffield United v Wolves

Full list here: https://preml.ge/fixtures

Auba GW1 so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Looking like a tough start. No City or United playing so do you start with them, and then do you start with Liverpool players when gameweeks 2 and 3 are Chelsea and Arsenal. Could be a start with Salah or Mane and then move on after a week for city or united players.

Starting with Chelsea players will be the same. Do you want to have Werner for that Liverpool game?

City's start is awful actually. No week 1 and then Wolves, Leicester, Leeds and Arsenal. Only Leeds is a good game attacking wise there you'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Pope starting with a blank will throw a lot of folk off him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hello Aubameyang and Liverpool

Hello Aubameyang and Liverpool

You like the Liverpool start?

You like the Liverpool start?

It's definitely taken me off double Liverpool defense but I think over the first 3-4 games they'll smash it FPL wise. Even if you didn't use a WC by then

Leeds(H)
    Chelsea(A) Tough game but Chelsea can't defend
    Arsenal(H) Always always goals in this
    Villa(A)
    Everton(A) They never lose this.

Only tough game I consider for them is Chelsea Away. But I plan to have Werner and Ziyech V TAA & Salah in that, so hopefully it's either a TAA Clean sheet or 1 of those Chelsea players do something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Anyone else planning WC GW2?

Probably not.

Essentially Wildcarding to get City/ United assets in.

City's first two games a Wolves and Leicester so could be quite difficult.

I'll probably just take a -4 and get Martial/Bruno or something.

Edit: Could have 0.5 ITB and do a straight Jimenez to Martial

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think the WC is too precious for that.

Curious to hear of other strategies though.

I'm considering a mid-level investment in someone like Mahrez who I think is value and not too much to be leaving on the bench in GW1.

Then bank GW2, and bring in 2 United/City assets for GW3. Would have 3 from GW3 and then maybe 4 from GW4.

Only thing is that you're planning a lot of your transfers in advance and aren't flexible to adapt to an early season gem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any sign of when the United/City fixtures will be refixed to.

The real challenge now is how many United/City players you're willing to put on your bench for GW1.

Advertisement