Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    How does every other sports pod manage to work on the weekend?

I'm fairly sure if one the lads murdered someone you'd be on here defending them. "well you know they shouldn't have locked their bike to kens, he was perfectly within his rights to kill that man"

Oh my God this forum. What happened to it? I'll tell ya what happened to it. Dublin happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

dulpit wrote: »
    Poor form. They shouldn't have a weekend off. We want our pods, forget about their lives, right?

Dramatic much? Its a major tournament with just a few weekends involved. Do you understand that a lot of the population work weekends and even such a thing as overtime. They can do whatever they want but surely we are allowed comment on disappointment regarding something we are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It would be great to have some content on the Saturdays and Sundays from the lads, even them talking amongst themselves - it is a bit lame that they don't do it - but, sure, lookit there's bigger things to get really worked about.

It's easier for big media organisations to produce a daily, including weekends, show and even totally football is bankrolled by Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

IsosKramer wrote: »
    Me too. I even subscribe to ESPN's Gab and Juls podcast. On the other hand, I finally gave up on Rushden and Glendenning on Football Weekly - unbearable stuff.

Was it the last World Cup when Football Weekly finished with Barry reading any aul bollix in his Irish accent and they all seemed to think that was gas?

I didn't listen to it for quite a while after that.

(I am listening to the daily ones now, mind you).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I never understood the interest in FW. Everyone just seemed smug to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I see Richie might be in a bit of hot water. Hopefully it won't affect his appearances on the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

dog_pig wrote:
    I see Richie might be in a bit of hot water. Hopefully it won't affect his appearances on the podcast.

That over the school in Carlow?

dog_pig wrote: »

He’s full of hot air a lot of the time but hopefully nobody succeeds in getting him ‘cancelled’.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He’s full of hot air a lot of the time but hopefully nobody succeeds in getting him ‘cancelled’.

What happened ???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

It seems to the type of lads that go on about how "woke" everything is nowadays responding to him with the 'Only apologising now?' comments.

• Advertisement

What happened ???

He said the same thing everyone else said about that school in Carlow last year. Now, because he’s apologised (they’re proven in the clear) he’s getting it in the neck.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

What did he do/say?

I've looked online but only a fairly firm apology from him. For something.

humberklog wrote: »
    What did he do/say?

I've looked online but only a fairly firm apology from him. For something.

https://wexfordtoday.com/2020/11/26/irresponsible-journalism-impacts-on-wexford-staff/

It’s in that if you scroll way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Yeah this story is a nothing burger… I don’t think Richie is getting canceled

Yeah this story is a nothing burger… I don’t think Richie is getting canceled

You’d like to think not hopefully, though the usuals will give it a lash anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Nah, it's a storm in a social media bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

At least he is apologizing but at the same time...his comments were pretty crass and totally unprofessional of him as a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Dante

Seems like storm in a teacup stuff really. Then again, I have neved used Twitter so I find it hard to take these sorts of tweet-gate controversies seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

My contribution to it was unforgivable, Ill-judged and reckless.
    :eek:

That sounds like a confession from a Maoist 'struggle session'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Dante wrote: »
    Seems like storm in a teacup stuff really. Then again, I have neved used Twitter so I find it hard to take these sorts of tweet-gate controversies seriously.

Judging by what he's said after the Press Ombudsman and Press Council of Ireland made statements, he's treating the matter fairly seriously at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think he'll get "cancelled" over that and he has apologised, though he doesn't look too clever after it. Far from the only one mind.

The whole story and the way it played out gives you an insight to how the snowball and bandwagon effect works in the media, particularly in relation to twitter. Somebody posts something outrageous, based on hearsay and made up shyte - everyone starts commentating and has to be seen talking and passing judgement, making sure to get their opinion in before the moment passes - no-one, even the ostensibly respectable and responsible, bothers to stop for a second and wonder this actually quite daft and unlikely sounding story is in actual fact true.

Fuk dat, the main thing is to get all opinionated all over the place. Get those retweets and a bit of righteousness going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Brackwom

This is so amazing. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

He's one of the few to apologise so he'll get some credit from people. He won't be as quick to do the same again I'd imagine which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

Richie is not getting ‘cancelled’, whatever that means. He is deservedly getting a bit of push back for waiting 8 months to apologise for what was obviously a non story and bunch of lies from the start. But at least he has apologised, unlike the dozens of other journalists and Twitter warriors who nearly ruined the lives of some innocent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭sheroman01

lawred2 wrote: »
    I never understood the interest in FW. Everyone just seemed smug to me.

Ah, I love FW. Bar a few guests, I don't find any of them smug at all. It's largely a very fun podcast, with some great guests (Wilson and Brewin, SC folk now familiar with, and then you have Ronay, Bandini, etc). Max in particular is very down to earth and has become a great host. Maybe too many "inside" jokes if you're new to it, that's all. Also, love that this thread picked up on Wilson texting Ken, on one the FW pods!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

buyer95 wrote: »
    And it's all completely unjustified. Murph is an essential part of what makes Second Captains my go to podcast. His understanding of the GAA as a whole and the fact he played at a decent level with his club and now plays junior b or whatever really shines through. He is great yang to the Dublin centric vibe. I love Ken also, but I think if it was just Ken and Eoin all the time I would grow weary. I know he hams it up at times but he genuinely does have that country bumpkin air to him. Long and short, they all bring something different and they are all great. Be thankful we aren't stuck listening to Gilroy or Woolie or other 'bantz' merchants
    Yeah those lispy smart-alec interjections are worth the fiver on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

"I had been hit in the balls with a golf ball"

Murph with a Ken-esque story.
    Second Captains lads cannot go on holidays without some incident!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Ah, I love FW. Bar a few guests, I don't find any of them smug at all. It's largely a very fun podcast, with some great guests (Wilson and Brewin, SC folk now familiar with, and then you have Ronay, Bandini, etc). Max in particular is very down to earth and has become a great host. Maybe too many "inside" jokes if you're new to it, that's all. Also, love that this thread picked up on Wilson texting Ken, on one the FW pods!

Is FW not James Richardson and Barry Glendenning? The few episodes I listened to a few years back really ground on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

lawred2 wrote: »
    Is FW not James Richardson and Barry Glendenning? The few episodes I listened to a few years back really ground on me.

It used to be, must be 4+ years ago I'd guess since Richardson left. It was Iain McIntosh who poached him and a few of the regular contributors to start up Totally Football Show. They were taken over by The Athletic a while back as well and are now part of their network.

FW has been hosted by Max Rushden ever since. Glendenning, Sid Lowe, Jonathon Wilson and most of The Guardian journalists contribute regularly.

Advertisement