Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Pfft never mind that.

He asked Wilson if he brought any little white mice to feed Declan Rice when he interviewed him.

Declan Ricesssssss

That's what I'm paying for.

And you could tell it flew straight over Jonathan Wilson's head, which made it funnier.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

Arghus wrote: »
    He made an acutely appropriate reference to J. G. Ballard last week when talking about Declan Rice's euphoria in an England fan park, so he's entitled to the odd mistake.

You are right, of course. I love Ken. I am only judging him against his own impossibly high standards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I've said it before, the lads reacting to live text from the listeners is the biggest element that's missing from the podcast format, hand in hand with the live sport.

Live streamed pods on say YouTube would be great actually

You are right, of course. I love Ken. I am only judging him against his own impossibly high standards

The conch was in reference to Lord of the Flies AFAIK. Seemed well judged to me, given what he was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,395 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The conch was in reference to Lord of the Flies AFAIK. Seemed well judged to me, given what he was talking about.

Yeah, exactly. I got a kick out of it anyway.

Is their weekend radio show thing on Radio One gone altogether these days? Quite enjoyed that, and missed it last year when it never reappeared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭cmac2009

They did one Sunday night recording a while back and I thought it was poor. Ken hadn't got his head around the weekend yet.

They should however aim to have a pod out by midday.

Atilladehun - 14/06 - "They should however aim to have a pod out by midday"

15/06 - pod released at 11:55.

Note to self - don't ever challenge or anger Atilladehun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

cmac2009 wrote: »

I wonder do the lads read this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

deisedude wrote: »

The Euros intro got sliced down the day after there were a few comments about how long it was.
    Horgan did the hosting for a few days right after a lot of discussion here about Murph...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

100% one of them does anyway because they actually referenced someone giving out on here before.

I don't think we're hip enough on boards, it's all about the tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

I don't think we're hip enough on boards, it's all about the tweets.

Boards is a perfect medium to get feedback about their business anonymously because there is genuine discussion among fans of what they like / don't like.

With Twitter its people tweeting at them rather than fans having a discussion amongst themselves

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I remember a few years ago I mentioned Ken meeting Haddaway on the thread, they played a clip from it in the very next podcast, more than likely it was just coincidence but I'm claiming credit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

I remember a few years ago I mentioned Ken meeting Haddaway on the thread, they played a clip from it in the very next podcast, more than likely it was just coincidence but I'm claiming credit for it.

I referred to Ken's travelogue in a post last week, then Eoin used the exact term afterwards. Who says travelogue? They're watching us...

Boards is a perfect medium to get feedback about their business anonymously because there is genuine discussion among fans of what they like / don't like.

With Twitter its people tweeting at them rather than fans having a discussion amongst themselves

Definitely and I think this thread is great for that, but I think outside of the users a lot of people don't really care about boards all that much. And I say that as someone who thinks the site is great, but I think it has a reputation of being a bit fuddy duddy and full of cranks. An hour or two in the Current Affairs forum is enough to make most people think "no thanks". Have a read of the thread over there about booing the the taking of the knee - the Internet Brain is very strong over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭atilladehun

cmac2009 wrote: »

Jokes on them. I'm a 9 year old.

I did have a little chuckle at Ken's morning voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I hope it’s not Murph. He gets an awful bashing in this thread.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

"Membership Led". Boards membership!

In fairness there'd be worse places to look for feedback for SC.
    The majority of posters are subs to SC and therefore the majority of posts are positive.
    Criticisms are mostly honest and trolling is fairly easily spotted. For SC this Thread runs like what a message board would if it existed on their website

I do think they read here and I do think that sometimes things are taken on board.

Also, all of them would be fairly typical Boards demographics particularly from the perspective of the 2000' to 2010's.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's the best place for SC feedback. It's pretty fair and balanced imho, idiots trying to make issues of non issues or turn it political get shut down pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭happydude742

I did listen to yesterday's pod with Ken's early morning voice, clearly there a lot earlier than he wanted and wonder if it was a direct result of the posts here over the last few days about the lateness of some releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

11.00 release today. Is that too early?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭jones

We're never happy here on boards :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is there a meme out there which depicts a completely unjustified sense of smugness for providing essential feedback :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

11.00 release today. Is that too early?

I'll tell you something, you went down in my estimation when you said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

bamayang wrote: »
    Is there a meme out there which depicts a completely unjustified sense of smugness for providing essential feedback :):)

This is the first thing I thought of :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

mcgucc22 wrote: »
    I hope it’s not Murph. He gets an awful bashing in this thread.

And it's all completely unjustified. Murph is an essential part of what makes Second Captains my go to podcast. His understanding of the GAA as a whole and the fact he played at a decent level with his club and now plays junior b or whatever really shines through. He is great yang to the Dublin centric vibe. I love Ken also, but I think if it was just Ken and Eoin all the time I would grow weary. I know he hams it up at times but he genuinely does have that country bumpkin air to him. Long and short, they all bring something different and they are all great. Be thankful we aren't stuck listening to Gilroy or Woolie or other 'bantz' merchants

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Ken appears conflicted on watching the Euros from afar. A few days back, he appeared relieved not to be having to criss-cross the continent - and the UK (see what I did there?).
    Today? Lamenting having to watch 3 games at home on his own. Eoin seemed pumped however. Ying to the yang ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 31,395 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely and I think this thread is great for that, but I think outside of the users a lot of people don't really care about boards all that much. And I say that as someone who thinks the site is great, but I think it has a reputation of being a bit fuddy duddy and full of cranks. An hour or two in the Current Affairs forum is enough to make most people think "no thanks". Have a read of the thread over there about booing the the taking of the knee - the Internet Brain is very strong over there.

I'm reaaallly hoping with this upcoming revamp that they introduce an option to just not see certain forums in the 'recent posts' frontpage thing. I can't stand that Current Affairs forum, but every so often on the frontpage I see an interesting thread title and before I know it there I am, knee deep in all sorts of right wing incel points of view and it's a total downer for the day :o

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm reaaallly hoping with this upcoming revamp that they introduce an option to just not see certain forums in the 'recent posts' frontpage thing. I can't stand that Current Affairs forum, but every so often on the frontpage I see an interesting thread title and before I know it there I am, knee deep in all sorts of right wing incel points of view and it's a total downer for the day :o

Usually I have the sense to not get involved over there, but, as you've said, sometimes you just wander in and...jesus... It's grim over there.

It's a dynamic I don't really understand when it comes to the site. Boards is a site built on reading, writing and discussion and some of the posts, particularly in CA, obviously required at least some cognitive effort to put together, but the content is usually hot take drivel, shyte nobody in their right mind could actually believe. Stuff that's beyond a parody even of that Nigel Farage garbage that Ken was talking about recently.

I think if you just read to much of it, it can start to make sense to you, if you read all day long, everyday, that taking the knee isn't in fact an anti racism gesture, but an sign of Marxist cultural terror then there's a danger that you can start to believe that rubbish and your brain starts getting bypassed completely.

Totally off topic, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Boards forums on topics like podcasts, radio, tv, computing, etc = a lovely time, people helping each other, etc.

Boards AH and CA/IMHO = a toilet

On the Murph hate/not hate. I view Murph as the less intense soccer fan. When Ken goes way into depth, Murph is more my view on the sport. Bit of interest (sometimes), but not too deep. He's also well versed across lots of sports, whereas Ken is very soccer-centric.

What's clear is that when any of the 3 hosts are away for any period of time it's noticeable, they all from a key part of the team.

Also, seen as they seem to be picking up on posts here - any chance of live pods that people can interact with? (e.g. via youtube?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Good shout. They should really expand the format alright.

Advertisement