Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

What does everyone make of this perception that everybody gets through the interview? Or the fact that, as one poster said, it's just a matter of your placing on the panel after interview, not so much whether you will get through or not...

Having read through the preparation materials it says to 'expect a challenging interview'. I'm certainly not finding it all that easy to come up with examples that cover all the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

tomjmsn wrote: »
    What does everyone make of this perception that everybody gets through the interview? Or the fact that, as one poster said, it's just a matter of your placing on the panel after interview, not so much whether you will get through or not...

Having read through the preparation materials it says to 'expect a challenging interview'. I'm certainly not finding it all that easy to come up with examples that cover all the points.
    I don't agree with that perception. I say a good few people fail at interview stage.

One good thing is that the interview is structured and based around the competencies. I know it can be hard to come with an example for each but I would suggest to have two just to be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

huawei73 wrote: »
    Hi people I'm new here and would love to apply to get into the CS but i never passed the leaving cert failed English Irish and Maths in
    1991. In recent years i went back to college and did a one year level 6 cert 30 credits a one year level 7 cert 30 credits and a one year level 8 cert 30 credits. Just wondering would the three certs compensate doing a crap leaving cert?

I applied to CS 5 years ago via a CO competition with no state examinations. I am now in the process of applying for EO interdepartmental through length of service. There are further education opportunities on offer if that is what you want from the CS. Nothing ventured nothing gained, best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Em_Caramel

Hey - been lurking here for a while! Great info, thanks so much to all who shared.

I passed the etray (just under 500 points) but still no call for an interview. I can see other etrays getting called now, so getting worried! If you get over the passing score in etray are you guaranteed interview? Or could they change the passing score later?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭gestappo

Em_Caramel wrote: »
    Hey - been lurking here for a while! Great info, thanks so much to all who shared.

I passed the etray (just under 500 points) but still no call for an interview. I can see other etrays getting called now, so getting worried! If you get over the passing score in etray are you guaranteed interview? Or could they change the passing score later?

You’ll get called for interview. Only those who didn't meet the massing mark won’t be called for interview.

• Advertisement

tomjmsn wrote: »

I’ve known quite a few competent people (both in the private sector and existing COs) who didn’t pass the EO interview so I don’t agree with that statement st all.

Have one strong example per competency as given on your form, and one fallback (doesnt have to be as strong)

Be prepared to talk about it from a few angles- how it shows each subcompetency, why you did x, how exactly you did y, why was it important.

Know why the competency and subcompetencies matter.

Most importantly: listen to the question, and answer what was asked- not what you wish youd been asked.

The interviewer very likely chose their angle to either test something they werent sure of from the form or to just confirm that the experience given rings true, its never just trying to catch you out (but they have to do their job too)

People who have been shortlisted based on their form are basically accepted as being up to the grade on paper, the interview is where that experience is tested to see does it ring true.

Peoplr who go in with a good cv/form but who are only able to talk through their examples from start to finish will struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 harrb

Hi,

My OOM is just about 1000 in Dublin does anyone know how many have been called to Etray?

Just wondering how long of a wait I have left!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mayoman89

Can anyone who has done the E-Tray tell me if the sample one is in any way similar to the real one? I.E is your role the same? Is it the same company? Etc. I'm extremely nervous as I've never done one before and any of the practice ones online seem to be a different format to the sample one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Hi did anyone find the sample etray very straightforward. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Think I'm going to be in for a wake-up call with the real one.

• Advertisement

When is the real etray exam window?

gestappo wrote: »
    When is the real etray exam window?

Feb 11th - 18th.

budget1984 wrote: »
    Hi did anyone find the sample etray very straightforward. I'm not sure if I'm missing something. Think I'm going to be in for a wake-up call with the real one.

I did. It mentioned to work with urgency but only had two tasks to deal with. Wouldn't say it prepared me for the real deal. Also I thought we could access it a few times but turns out its the just the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

Mayoman89 wrote: »
    I did. It mentioned to work with urgency but only had two tasks to deal with. Wouldn't say it prepared me for the real deal. Also I thought we could access it a few times but turns out its the just the once.
    I thought the same with the sample but I imagine there will be possibly 10 or 20 scenarios across the time 90 minutes I think where you possibly get a number of tasks and they are looking to see which ones you prioritise I presume now I don’t know because I’m a newbie to this. Will there be any multiple choice answers. Good to get some feedback if people have already completed.

I would agree to work with an urgency. I was flat out for the majority of the 90min exam. The etray I sat was very similar to the sample but I’m not sure if they’ll use the same test as last time but read over all the notes in the sample test.

I thought the same with the sample but I imagine there will be possibly 10 or 20 scenarios across the time 90 minutes I think where you possibly get a number of tasks and they are looking to see which ones you prioritise I presume now I don’t know because I’m a newbie to this. Will there be any multiple choice answers. Good to get some feedback if people have already completed.

Going by the sample alone I imagine there will be multiple choice options with regards applications being referred to you by CO'S but I'm purely basing that on the sample. Unfortunately I'm completely new to this myself too and have never sat an E-Tray before.

I would agree to work with an urgency. I was flat out for the majority of the 90min exam. The etray I sat was very similar to the sample but I’m not sure if they’ll use the same test as last time but read over all the notes in the sample test.

Thanks Gestappo. I managed to get a few notes down from the sample do hopefully they will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Going by the sample alone I imagine there will be multiple choice options with regards applications being referred to you by CO'S but I'm purely basing that on the sample. Unfortunately I'm completely new to this myself too and have never sat an E-Tray before.

It may sound obvious but my advice would be to not underestimate the sample. In the one I did late last year it specifically said in the sample it would be the same scenario as the actual etray. So going through this and knowing the guidance can really help you save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JDWW

I'd also agree with the above. While the sample is straight forward and extremely generous on time, the lay out and tabs are the same as the real thing.

Also with the sample you can come and go from it, I found doing 10/20 mins on it and then coming back the next day to do a bit more helped getting familiar with it,

JDWW wrote: »
    I'd also agree with the above. While the sample is straight forward and extremely generous on time, the lay out and tabs are the same as the real thing.

Also with the sample you can come and go from it, I found doing 10/20 mins on it and then coming back the next day to do a bit more helped getting familiar with it,

I had planned on doing it as I thought you could revisit it as often as I wanted. Unfortunately with a 3 year old I got distracted and my time elapsed. I thought I could go back in to it again but not the case. Still, I managed to get a few notes, mostly the important stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks Gestappo. I managed to get a few notes down from the sample do hopefully they will help.

Are you not able to go back into it? I know I was for mine, which proved beneficial in the end.

Make sure you read all the information for the exam, all the documents in the sample test along with the info booklet that accompanies each stage.

Are you not able to go back into it? I know I was for mine, which proved beneficial in the end.

Make sure you read all the information for the exam, all the documents in the sample test along with the info booklet that accompanies each stage.

Once the elapsed on it i couldn't get back in but I managed to get the gist of what they were after. Before the real deal, what info do they provide before you click 'start exercise'? Thanks for your help.

Once the elapsed on it i couldn't get back in but I managed to get the gist of what they were after. Before the real deal, what info do they provide before you click 'start exercise'? Thanks for your help.

it was nearly exactly the same as the sample if I remember correctly. The whole background, and lead up to the questions. You’re given 10mins to orient yourself and get ready before things kicked off too.

it was nearly exactly the same as the sample if I remember correctly. The whole background, and lead up to the questions. You’re given 10mins to orient yourself and get ready before things kicked off too.

I was thinking it would be more or less the same cos it said the real thing will be a week on from the date given in the sample. Be a lot better if the 10 minutes was a hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SONIC2008

Am I correct in saying each progression round throws out a brand new OOM?

Eg If I pass the etray and get through to interview, my OOM following interview does not consider my etray OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

does anyone have any good links for practice etray tests please - iv been looking for a few and when I click into them they are blank

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M1ssym00

budget1984 wrote: »

I don't think you will be. The overall layout and objective is the same in the real one, there's just more to do really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 M1ssym00

SONIC2008 wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying each progression round throws out a brand new OOM?

Eg If I pass the etray and get through to interview, my OOM following interview does not consider my etray OOM?

As far as I can tell your e-tray and interview scores get bundled into the final score. I wasn't sent an updated OOM after e-tray, just my own score.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Account2021

harrb wrote: »
    Hi,

My OOM is just about 1000 in Dublin does anyone know how many have been called to Etray?

Just wondering how long of a wait I have left!

Thanks!

Hi,

My OOM is in the 940’s for Dublin and I have been called for the E-tray. (open competition)
    Must have just scrapped in.

Have been following this thread regularly. Thanks all for updates and advice and good luck this week for anyone else doing the E-tray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ellienoodles

Has anyone got called for Dublin EO interdepartmental etray. Competition moved pretty quick at start and after passing the assessment stage have heard nothing.

Advertisement